[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A former courtier on the death of Louis XV and the ascension

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

A former courtier on the death of Louis XV and the ascension of Louis XVI, May 10th, 1774:

>The taper was extinguished. On this signal the Body Guards, pages, and equerries mounted on horseback, and all was ready for setting off. The Dauphin was with the Dauphiness. They were expecting together the intelligence of the death of Louis XV. A dreadful noise, absolutely like thunder, was heard in the outer apartment; it was the crowd of courtiers who were deserting the dead sovereign’s antechamber, to come and do homage to the new power of Louis XVI. This extraordinary tumult informed Marie Antoinette and her husband that they were called to the throne; and, by a spontaneous movement, which deeply affected those around them, they threw themselves on their knees; both, pouring forth a flood of tears, exclaimed: “O God! guide us, protect us; we are too young to reign.”
>>
File: b77c240488ce8a5c1171ee6ebd9600cc.jpg (317KB, 1200x949px) Image search: [Google]
b77c240488ce8a5c1171ee6ebd9600cc.jpg
317KB, 1200x949px
>be Louis XV
>start out reign as a kid
>get popular as the years go on and become Louis the Beloved
>suddenly say fuck it and spend the last decade+ of your reign just fucking mistresses, spending money, and making fun of your family (he called his daughters Piggy, Tatters, and Flea)
>no longer Louis the Beloved, but Louis the Regretted
>don't even attempt to educate your ill-prepared, meek grandson on becoming king (or having sex)
>die of smallpox
>leave grandson with corrupt, bankrupt nation and no training
>20 years later your corpse is dug up by rebellious peasants

welp
>>
If he had only not done what Louis XIV had done by ruling alone, perhaps he would've not been a fuck up.
Also
FINALLY A FRENCH MONARCHY THREAD WOWOWOW
>>
So what was, in the long term, worst thing he ever did in his reign, administratively speaking?
Was it listening to Madame Du Pompadour, burning the French encyclopedia, or enforcing the Gabelle to extremity?
>>
Nesta Webster on Louis XVI:

>Everyone agrees in calling him weak, but who has tried to put himself in his place and consider the problems that confronted him?
>To settle the grievances of each class, without irritating the other classes
>To relieve the sufferings of the peasants, without antagonizing the nobles.
>To give greater liberty to the Protestants, without alienating the Church.
>To reform government, without shaking the foundations of the State.
>To revive the spirit of the army, without plunging the country into war.
>To reduce taxation, and at the same time restore the ruined finances.
>To regenerate morals, to purify the court, and last but not least reconcile the factions within the royal family itself.
>These were the problems the boy of nineteen was called upon to face, and that he has been described as weak and imbecile for failing to solve.
>>
>>2788665
Long term?

Not reinstating the restrictions on the Parlement of Paris as soon as he took over from the regency which lifted them after Louis XIV died, which allowed the Parlement to regain its control over the government over the next few decades. By the time he banned the Parlement in the early 1770s, the move was seen as tyrannical because the Parlement had reestablished itself as the ~voice of the people~ despite only working for the nobility, and so one of Louis XVI's first moves was to reinstate it by popular demand. But it was the Parlement of Paris that blocked Louis XVI's many financial and social reforms--reforms that, if he had been allowed to push them through, may have prevented the revolution in the first place.
>>
File: 1788-madame-elisabeth-by-2.jpg (174KB, 609x864px) Image search: [Google]
1788-madame-elisabeth-by-2.jpg
174KB, 609x864px
May 10th was the day Elisabeth, a sister of Louis XVI, was executed.

Her last words, after she was strapped to the plank and her fichu came loose and exposed her

>In the name of your mother, monsieur, cover me!
>>
>>2788700
I thought the negativity accumulated from Louis XVI's exile of Parliament would've been reconciled when he made the edict that all judges could not be from reigning classes, at least over the peasantry?
>>
>>2788721
You mean Louis XV? Louis XVI brought back the Parlement of Paris.
>>
>>2788744
Wait, let me get my A. J. Grant books out, I'll check. I believe it was XVI that exiled them to Tours, Poitiers etc, and placed courts in all of the major cities following, but I could be wrong, I'll check.
In e meantime, what the fuck was the Jesuits and what was their problem?
I've read about how XV disbanded them and closed their schools, but I've never understood what they were.
>>
>>2788775
Ah okay, I know what you're talking about now, I was thinking beginning of his reign. He dissolved the Paris and Bordeaux parlements in 1787 and exiled some of them away from Paris in an attempt to stop their direct opposition to Louis XVI's edicts regarding taxes. He was trying to eliminate heavy taxes on the peasantry and eliminate tax exemptions for nobility, and introduce a tax system based on your wealth.
>>
>>2788825
Was that under Turgot or Necker?
>>
File: whattodo.jpg (46KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
whattodo.jpg
46KB, 1440x900px
>>2788670
>>
>>2788851
Brienne, when he exiled some of the magistrates in 1787. It wasn't his first attempt at pushing the tax reform though.
>>
>>2788670
what book?
>>
>>2789400
assuming it's from a book, I mean
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.