[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else pick President Garfield as their favorite?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: gardfield.jpg (70KB, 605x412px) Image search: [Google]
gardfield.jpg
70KB, 605x412px
Anyone else pick President Garfield as their favorite?
>>
>>2782592
I like obama more he's the true kang
>>
>>2782592

Garfield will always have a special place in my heart for having given a cute little proof of the Pythagorean theorem. This proof is essentially "half" of the well-known "inscribe a square inside a larger square at any angle you like" argument. Although perhaps not totally rigorous, it is simple enough to persuade quickly. Middle schoolers and high schoolers can quickly appreciate its truth.

Garfield's proof would actually make a useful pedagogical tool in secondary math education, as its use would also provide a small piece of math history.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/james-garfield-was-the-only-u-s-president-to-prove-a-m-1037750658
>>
File: 20110930-054712-pic-554515063.jpg (718KB, 1875x2850px) Image search: [Google]
20110930-054712-pic-554515063.jpg
718KB, 1875x2850px
>>2782592
Reading pic related really made me feel for him. He seemed like such a kind family man, too intelligent for politics.
>>
I'm counting the days for Trump to eclipse his term, and from there, the next benchmark is the one year mark.

Every president apart from Harrison, Garfield and Trump has cleared the one-year mark.
>>
>>2784239
My problem is that it repeats the whole "Garfield would've lived if only his doctors weren't so incompetent" myth. Reading Peskin's biography (which everyone should, it's great) he says that likely the bits of shattered vertebrae from the gunshot were putrifying and more than enough to cause blood poisoning and infection. The doctors didn't help but he was probably a going to die regardless.

His career is an interesting window into Guilded Age politics and he himself was an interesting man. He's probably the most "American" president we've ever had too in that he came from nothing in the backwoods of Ohio raised only by his mother and through solid character and hard work managed to work his way up to the highest office in the land.
>>
>>2783079
This is actually really neat.
>>
>>2782592

Garfield is truly one of those great "what could have beens?" in history. He was one of the most accomplished and respected men in America when he became President, and even in his incredibly short time in office still did quite a bit. His successor Arthur did quite a bit in a short time as well, but with Garfields popularity/notoriety, plus the fact that he would'nt suffer the "un elected president" meme that Chester did, who knows what he could have done?
>>
I'm a Taft guy, nothing gets me harder than political balance and law
>>
Jackson
>>
File: jimmy carter.png (516KB, 1390x782px) Image search: [Google]
jimmy carter.png
516KB, 1390x782px
>>2782592
I like Carter desu. He was reasonable and he doesn't get all of the credit he deserves.

>>2786256
I like Taft, too. He's an insanely underappreciated President.
>>
>>2784654
Hadn't heard of the Peskin book. Think I'll give it a look.
>>
>>2786256
Yes.

>>2786457
No.
>>
>>2787378
It's really good. It maybe lacks the drama of that you'd get out of Millard's (since I believe she's a journalist by trade, not a historian) but I think it's great for really getting into the character of Garfield and putting him into the context of his time in how politics at the congressional and executive level ran during that time period. If you want to know about the wheeling and dealing and chaos of the 1880 RNC that got Garfield nominated, for instance, you'll like it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.