[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was there ever a time when people successfully stopped a war

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: vietnam-war-protesters.jpg (242KB, 955x500px) Image search: [Google]
vietnam-war-protesters.jpg
242KB, 955x500px
Was there ever a time when people successfully stopped a war by protesting against it? I've been reading a lot about WW1 recently, and it is striking to me how just about everybody seemed to understand that it was nuts, yet it simply continued without end until one side was completely exhausted and simply couldn't fight any longer. The Vietnam war seems like a logical candidate, but remember, that still went on for many years without being affected by protests.
>>
>>2779403

Major wars I am not sure of, but smaller things I am aware of.

Look in 2014 for example with Obama's red line chemical event in Syria, the public did mass demonstrations against any action against Syria. Eventually we didn't follow through.
>>
>>2779444

Th affairs of nation-states are bigger than you and me friend. We are just the pawns in the chess game, not the player
>>
If a state permits a demonstration it effectively explains it does not feel threatened by it. A successful demonstration is one that grows into something greater.
>>2779444
>Eventually we didn't follow through.
This exactly, follow through
>>
>>2779403
>Was there ever a time when people successfully stopped a war by protesting against it?

The Russian Revolution comes to mind, with the Government fully overthrown with the promise to end the war.

Wars were also cut short all the time to relieve pressure at home due to the strain of war, Peter III had to withdraw Russia from the Seven Year's War due to soldiers/commanders protesting continued involvement due to exhaustion.

Germany's armistice in WWI can be seen as stopping the war due to protest as well, with the Germany Navy going into full mutiny and revolution was just around the corner if the war didn't stop.
>>
>>2779493

This is the first time I've heard about the German navy protesting. Seems odd, because they basically didn't do anything the entire war except Jutland, and some skirmishes around the colonies.
>>
>>2779506
Turns out that most soldiers don't want to go on pointless suicide missions that will do nothing for the war but "save the honor of the german navy" and some admirals.
At least the generals were more circumspect about it.
>>
>>2779506
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiel_mutiny

it's actually pretty interesting to read about, with it being the first action taken in the German Revolution that deposed the Kaiser.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.