[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need someone to identify this for me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_6667.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px)
IMG_6667.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Found this in a truck i recently purchased and just wondering if anyone knows anything about this
>>
File: IMG_6664.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6664.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
I can read the word "Basileios" on the OP image but I can't tell anything else. Do you live in Greece or Anatolia?
>>
Greek coin, probably silver, writing says "Basileus" meaning King.
Congratulations. Nice piece but no idea what it's worth.

see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basileus
>>
looks like Alexander the Great, compare with these: http://www.ancientresource.com/lots/coins_greek2.html
I don't see your one (the headband is missing)
otherwise the seated figure is the same, and the headshot too.
>>
In Italy and Greece its a common practice to buy reproduction ancient coins in gift shops, feed them to cows, and then when they come out the other end they look authentically faded. These people then sell them to unsuspecting tourists for $50
>>
>>2777799
Appears to be one of these.

7906. SICILY, SYRACUSE, HIERONYMOS, 215-214 BC. AR 10 Litrae. Diademed head of Hieronymos l./Thunderbolt, BASILIOS IERWNYMOU (King Hieronymos). EF. Choice example.

http://www.edgarlowen.com/greek-coins-sicily-2.shtml
>>
OP here

Thanks for all the replies
No i do not live in Anatolia or Greece
What would be the best way to clean this without causing damage or corrosion so i can take better pictures?
>>
>>2777951
I don't think it's real. I had an ancient roman coin and the thing would almost crumble apart every time you touched it.
>>
maybe you should go to your local museum/campus and ask
>>
>>2777951
Cleaning antiquities is usually a huge mistake.
>>
>>2777951

Don't. Take it to a coin dealer, let a professional clean it.
>>
>>2777955
Its made of silver, it won't crumble
Also, I have dozens of bronze roman coins and they don't crumble either
what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>2777951
>What would be the best way to clean this without causing damage or corrosion so i can take better pictures?

I'm an archaeologist, this is a trade secret I use for coins I need to clean fast, pour some vinegar over the coin, rub it in, then you need to remove the vinegar which lifts any set in grime and dirt, place the coin in a microwave, and heat for 1 minute on high, this will evaporate the vinegar on the coin that has soaked into the dirt, the coin will look good as knew.
>>
>>2777979
Cleaning a coin that costs a dollar on ebay. Really smart.
>>
>>2777846
It's not alexander but it is probably Hellenistic.

Like others basileus = king and the diadem(ribbon crown) points to Hellenistic kingship.
>>
>>2778110 lol nice bait
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.