[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The sun never sets on the Scottish Empire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: ScottishEmpireFull.png (97KB, 792x397px) Image search: [Google]
ScottishEmpireFull.png
97KB, 792x397px
The sun never sets on the Scottish Empire
>>
Since when did Scotland own bits of Africa
>>
We would've kept Panama if it wasn't for the eternal anglo
>>
>>2777404
new Edinburgh was disaster. It was doomed from the start
>>
>>2777404
You literally spent a quarter of your economy into Darien, and by the end of it had nothing to show for it but a lot of dead Scotsmen. Who died to malaria and hostile natives, not the English.

Not to mention that I'm pretty sure that you didn't even have any real control over the region and, had the enterprise somehow not failed, would have probably landed you in a war with Spain, at the time arguably the most powerful nation in Europe - certainly at least somewhere in the top three. Whereas Scotland didn't even rate.
>>
>>2777550
Oh, wait, right, nevermind - the Spanish did get involved.

>From the beginning it has been claimed historically that the undertaking was beset by poor planning and provisioning, divided leadership, a lack of demand for trade goods particularly caused by an English trade blockade, devastating epidemics of disease, collusion between the English East India Company and the English government, as well as a failure to anticipate the Spanish Empire's military response. It was finally abandoned in March 1700 after a siege by Spanish forces, which also blockaded the harbour.

>As the Company of Scotland was backed by 25–50% of all the money circulating in Scotland, its failure left the entire Lowlands almost completely ruined and was an important factor in weakening their resistance to the Act of Union (completed in 1707).

The Wikipedia article tries to salvage things by saying that "recent research" suggests that the scheme might have had the potential for success, but to convince me of that I'm going to need more than a single thesis by a college student in Ohio, which is the citation provided for the "recent research".
>>
File: Amin.jpg (52KB, 243x307px) Image search: [Google]
Amin.jpg
52KB, 243x307px
>>2777390
> Uganda not included
>>
>>2777390
>tfw I want to recreate this in EU4 but I keep getting cucked by the anglos
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.