[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the Middle East like before Islam? How it would look

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: 1494214143520.jpg (195KB, 920x764px) Image search: [Google]
1494214143520.jpg
195KB, 920x764px
What was the Middle East like before Islam?

How it would look like today without Islam?
>>
wasn't it greek?
>>
>>2776343
Depends which parts you are talking about

The region ran the whole spectrum from nomadic savages up to the highest levels of civilization
>>
>>2776343
She could live at my house,

inb4

#refugesswelcome
>>
Mesopotamian civilization, Egypt, Persia...
>>
>>2776343
civilized.
>>
>>2776349
Many times who was what switched a lot.
>>
>>2776343
>How it would look like today without Islam?
It would be Orthodox.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V27RKwOoQbY
>>
>>2776343
Some parts were almost Greek-tier and other parts were nomadic pagans living like they had been for thousands of years.
>>
>>2776343
Christian Rome vs Zoroastrian Persia

It would still be unstable, but probably more peaceful than today.
>>
>>2776343
a qt
>>
>>2776344
The eastern half of the Roman empire spoke Greek, at least among the elites.

It's less clear how far down the socioeconomic ladder that went.

>>2776552
This, and possibly Manichaeism in Iran.
>>
>>2776516
This tbqh

If you'd like to read more about middle eastern civilization, then Ibn Khaldun has some interesting thoughts on it.
>>
>>2776343

Christian, Yesidi, Zoroastrian and in some places even buddhist, believe it or not. Also noticeable jewish enclaves here and there.
>>
>>2777629
I doubt that, medieval Christians were less tolerant than Muslims, they'd probably baptize the shit out of Persians and everyone else.
>>
>>2776343
There would be much closer ties between it and Europe. In fact I would say that the entire concept of Europe would be strictly geographical, rather than the cultural concept that it is today.
>>
>>2776343
Northen part aka Levantine, Anatolia will be more closer to southern Europe
The eastern part will fall into Persian Zoroastrian / Manichaean sphere of influence
The southern part aka gulf countries will still be tribal bumfuck just like they always has
>>
Literally, every post on this thread is just moronic conjecture.

Islam rose in the 7th century, so you're all basically guessing what could have happened over the course of around 1,500 years. For what reason?
>>
File: keep-calm-and-forget-that-feel.png (36KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
keep-calm-and-forget-that-feel.png
36KB, 600x700px
>What was the Middle East like before Islam?
It was flourishing with some of the most brilliant civilizations (albeit with very brutal practices and warfare). The Arabs as a tribe were still irrelevant.
Like a clean India and with more intact monuments.
>>
Islam didn't bring violent to the Middle East.

It was always violent. Always.
>>
>>2779626
>world was always violent
fixd
>>
>>2779639

um no the americas were peaceful until the europeans invaded
>>
>>2779920
I know an Iroquois guy who'd put a lacrosse stick up your asshole for that line.

>>2778650
Essentially. This is basically a [No east west schism wat do] kind of shindig.
>>
>>2780064
>I know an Iroquois guy who'd put a lacrosse stick up your asshole for that line.

it's always sad when natives forget their own culture
>>
>>2776343

Pretty close to what the Balkans look like, which is to sound preferable to the situation we have now and a decent place to live. Also the inbreeding rates would go down tremendously. Regarding the situation in Israel I'm not too sure. If Christian Palestinians wished to regain their land, I wonder if they would have the support of Christians abroad who would see it as an opportunity to literally larp the Crusades and reconquest the Holy Land once again.
>>
>>2780669
Not really, upper ME has always been the rich, centre of wealth of the eastern Roman empire, in fact balkan itself would look vastly different without the Ottoman Islamic influence
>>
>>2776343
Some parts fucked goats because they were basically nomadic savages. Some parts fucked goats because they were some of the richest and most cultured people in the world and that's the only thing that could get them off.
>>
>>2778281
>medieval Christians
>european christians =/= orthodox christians in the middle-east

Nestorians, Chaldeans and Koptics tolerated other religions of the their region pretty leniently.
>>
>>2776441
anon is correct
>>
>>2776343
>What was the Middle East like before Islam?
Christian, believe it or now.
>>
it would be semitic (aramaic) christian

2000 years on, western latin christians would probably think middle easterners were strange and contemptible foreigners in any case, whether they shared "the same religion" (vastly different interpretations of the same religion that is) or not
>>
Middle East was not so bad until the 1970s. That is when the Saudis and others started spreading all that Durkadurka Wahhabi bullshit and using terrorism. Since in the previous 3 decades their attempts to remove Israel by secularism had failed.

Middle East might still be that way. If the British had set up a secular Palestine state. Where anyone could live. Instead of creating a ethno national state for jews.
>>
there'd be a lot more greeks, and they'd be as implicitly smug and obnoxious as turks are now.
>>
>>2784167
>implying they wouldn't be worse
Nationalist greeks are already at the top of the list for obnoxious people.
>>
>>2776441
/thread
>>
>>2776441
LOL REKT :DDDDD
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.