[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: knife.jpg (2KB, 195x90px) Image search: [Google]
knife.jpg
2KB, 195x90px
How often did men wear knives on them in past times? Was it only peasants or did also ''rich'' people wear knives on them? Which century did most men stop wearing knives on them?
>>
Everybody had knives on them because they were bloody useful for all sorts of little work, crafts and eating.
>>
File: medieval couple.png (432KB, 521x728px) Image search: [Google]
medieval couple.png
432KB, 521x728px
>>2774010
Everybody had one. It was just wise to have something on your person for defense, survival, and general purpose tasks
>>
>>2774080
It still is, but it's been stigmatized somehow as carrying a weapon.
Which is ironic, considering all the situations a knife could be used in to harmlessly save a life.
>>
>>2774010
In Anglo-Saxon times, all free men whether ceorl, thegn, gesith, ealdorman, or shire-reeve carried the seax on them. The Normans put an end to this because the Anglo-Saxons had a tendency to murder any French-speaking cunt in secret, which caused Guillaume le Batard to impose the murdrum fine on the shire district where the corpse was found.

The seax was a mark of being a non-slave in the English world; it was your everyday tool for tasks and to cut your meat as well as a weapon of last resort.
>>
Our good'ole country boys in the south still carry knifes.
>>
>>2774010
The concept of carrying at least a small folding pocket knife as a matter of course only really faded from the modern world in the past few decades.

Throughout history, the concept of carrying a utility blade was pan-universal. As >>2774037 mentions, for the longest time it was your go-to tool.

>>2774132
>Get a life, bin that knife!
>>
>>2774163
Any recommendations of where to get a decent seax?
>>
File: 1366841192527.jpg (148KB, 1024x790px) Image search: [Google]
1366841192527.jpg
148KB, 1024x790px
>>2774163
I am going to want some documentation here. Even slaves carried small utility seax, though I am sure larger weapon styles are controlled.

>>2774523
Size, use, period, culture, style and budget? Seax means knife. They range from 1.5" blades tanged to an antler point, to 30 inch long short-swords. Mind that there is no shame in a cool display piece, if thats all you want.
>>
>>2774608
Preferably earlier periods. Something of reasonable price. I would prefer something that could actually be used rather than just for display
>>
>>2774132
Nobody really scrutinized for having a knife as a tool, the acceptance of the swiss army knife proves this, it's just that traditional knives have much less utility than dedicated multitools.
>>
>>2774967
What is a "reasonable price" to you? What culture? What size? What uses do you expect to use it for?

This is not just a game of 20 questions. $200 is reasonable for a 12-14" long knife suitable for camping/hunting/gardening.
>>
>>2774989
*nobody is
My bad.
>>
>>2774991
200 is fine. Looking for Anglo-Saxon type. Or even old Germanic like cherusci and all that jazz.
>>
>>2774967
Got you pham, in case you are euro based.
http://www.armabohemia.cz/Novestr/cutA.htm
their cutlery is nice and based on historic originals.
>>
>>2775132
Thanks man
>>
>>2774608
>Seax means knife
nobody likes a pendant, anon
>>
>>2774132
Is there any evidence they're used as tools more often than as weapons, today? A baseball bat is sporting equipment but that doesn't mean carrying one around in public isn't suspicious.
>>
File: marttiini ja tasavalta viina.jpg (101KB, 717x634px) Image search: [Google]
marttiini ja tasavalta viina.jpg
101KB, 717x634px
I live in rural Finland and people still do. Well, not everybody and not all the time, but it certainly isn't anyhow stigmatized.
It was more common when i was a kid and it was a norm not more than ~50 years ago.
>>
>>2777477
I'm swiss, countryside pretty much anyone has some sort of knife on him all the time.
>>
File: IMG_2287.jpg (248KB, 1064x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2287.jpg
248KB, 1064x1600px
>>2777501
>some sort of knife
I was talking about something like this hanging on their hips. As if i have any idea who has or doesn't have Victorinox or Leatherman in their pockets.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.