[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would the German forest look like when the Romans first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: _46430618_-14.jpg (41KB, 466x260px) Image search: [Google]
_46430618_-14.jpg
41KB, 466x260px
What would the German forest look like when the Romans first marched into it compared to today?
>>
>>
>>2772382
Caesar describes the geography and culture of Germania in the Gallic wars.
>>
Northern Europe looked more like Yukon or Siberia does now. Thick taiga forest.
>>
File: acrossf.jpg (33KB, 700x295px) Image search: [Google]
acrossf.jpg
33KB, 700x295px
>>2772382
Wilder, more dense ad with much more variety of trees and bushes. Think Pacific North-West.
Definitely not what Gladiator had.
>Ancient forests in Germania consist of the same tree for miles
>>
>>2773167
According to this guy they were actually more managed like groves. Most of Europe's forests were reforested after having been nearly gone at the start of the 20th century.
https://youtu.be/zVPUFMwm73Y
>>
>>2773246
He's talking about the middle ages, I don't think the Germanic tribes in bumfuck nowhere in 9CE managed the woodland around them, especially if it wasn't the land immediately around their settlements.
>>
>>2773274
Well considering it was a timber economy and the need for it which drove Romans there in the first place, coupled with the fact that the Germanics lived in scattered villages who also would have needed the wood, it probably wasn't too different from the middle ages. The practice endured up til the last century also.
He also says the hunter gatherers used slash and burn techniques to make clearings for hunting animals so there's a precedent for forest management since prehistory.
>>
>>2773167

that looks like a modern forestal pinewood plantation instead of a natural forest but to be fair it'd be nearly impossible to find a filming location accurate to Europe circa 100AD
>>
>>2773301

Augustus era tribal Germania would've been far less developed than say High Medieval England though. You have to consider the fact that Western Europe outside of Italy would've been at the height of its population and development around 1300. In fact, the population in many countries would take centuries to reach the same levels after the Great Famine and Black Death.

The population would've been considerably lower, more spread out and autonomous. Villages would've been more far apart and larger Medieval era settlements wouldn't have existed. You would't have had any large or complex forms of government binding and legislating the population.

A large reason for the practices Lindybeige names is the fact that Medieval society was massively overlegislated. There were laws for fucking everything and land and resource ownership was ridiculously meticulous. This is what caused peasants to strip the local commons of things they needed, which wouldn't have been the case in a considerably more primitive, egalitarian (in practice, not as a modern meme) and depopulated tribal confederacy.
>>
>>2772382
>there is an extensive Wikipedia article specifically on the history of German forests
Pretty unexpected desu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_forest_in_Central_Europe

tl;dr Mostly primeval forest, cleared or disturbed to some degree around settlements. Beech or oak dominant on better soil, pine on worse, alder where there's stagnating water. Plenty more wetlands everywhere, later mostly or near entirely drained. Pollution-sensitive lichens would likely be common, unlike today.
Picture should be reasonably close, although it was taken in eastern Poland, an area with a significantly more continental climate. I could adjust my estimates if I knew whether the European climate was different at the time.

>>2772393
Taiga could have been there when the glaciers were still retreating, but by Roman times it would grow more or less where it does now.

>>2773167
Pacific Northwest is also a poor analogy thanks to being essentially a temperate rainforest as well as much greater age. An ancient German forest would have been a lot less humid, with less biomass, consisting of mostly deciduous trees, with no epiphytes covering them. Lower species richness too, because the woods of Europe were shafted harder by the glaciers than American ones. Many taxa still present across the ocean were driven to complete extinction.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.