[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When and why did people start looking down on hermits?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0550.jpg (287KB, 600x1445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0550.jpg
287KB, 600x1445px
>>
As a result of the wider diffusion of utilitarian modes of valuation, also known as muh contributing to society maymay.
>>
>>2768243
I like this thread.
Contemporary hermits are probably some underground artists, scientists and philosophers I guess, but they get reall shit from people.
As far as contribution to society, I'd say they have contributed much more than it is known.
>>
>>2768243
With the increasing feminization of society. Not even memeing.
>>
People have always seen hermits as freaks.

The early Christians only admired their hermits because they thought their austerity was evidence of the truth of the gospel.
>>
They always looked down on them.
>>
>>2768243
hermits also looked down on people
>>
>>2768496
Aren't most contemporary hermits hikikomori NEETS?
>>
>>2768713
"No"
>>2768701
Lol, no.
>>
>>2768243
"Why does society look down on people who reject society"
>>
>>2768243
They probably figured out hermitism was just an excuse for being a lazy bum who lives off of alms. It doesn't seem to have been existed much if at all in Judaic culture so it's Christian manifestation could be derived from pre-Christian culture. When Protestantism came along reclusive asceticism was replaced with a more worldly involved form of asceticism in the form of increased diligence in one's work, thrift, and temperance.
>>
desu I think the majority people today have an unexpressed sort of reverence for monks and priest. That doesn't necessarily mean a father wants his son to join a monastery however.
>>
File: The Black.png (280KB, 335x400px) Image search: [Google]
The Black.png
280KB, 335x400px
>>2768701
No the stories that we have about the Desert Fathers of early Christianity originate from popular legends written about them.

Hearing about their feats of piety and battles against demons was basically the 4th century equivalent of comic books.
>>
>>2768243
Rich kids moved on to other means of achieving "spiritual enlightenment".
>>
File: tbh.jpg (2MB, 1543x936px) Image search: [Google]
tbh.jpg
2MB, 1543x936px
>>2770077
>implying
>>
>>2770093
Call me Vlad
>>
>>2770152
you seem more like an eyzyk
>>
>>2768243
Y-N to the power of D=years since a given hermit was respected when
Y=years a hermit
N=years since hermit died
D=Diogenes
>>
File: 1476172928587.jpg (600KB, 2373x1616px) Image search: [Google]
1476172928587.jpg
600KB, 2373x1616px
>>2769980
>>They probably figured out hermitism was just an excuse for being a lazy bum who lives off of alms
this, especially in the middle ages where religious people clung to >muh knowledge of books >muh reading book sis good, which the religious beggars do not have.
>>
>>2770019
oh fuck my favorite saint, chose him for my confirmation, extremely badass
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.