[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Victorian Post-Mortem Photography

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Are you aware of this phenomenon? In the 19th century, soon after the invention of photography, it became a custom for people to take photographs of their dead. Often, these photos were the only ones that were able to be taken of these people, due to how expensive photography was at the time. This practice still exists for some people, but it has largely fallen out of mainstream fashion by the mid-20th century.
>>
Yes. My family takes photos of relatives in their coffins. I didn't know this was unusual until I was a teenager and a friend came to a cousin's funeral with me and did this dramatic horrified gasp when someone in the family took a photo.

Although, most images described as Victorian post-mortem photos are not actually of dead people, since people have (thanks to dubious websites) mistaken the results of limitations of early photography its corrections/fixes as being dead people.
>>
File: 771f7f757e298e74f950da21bae8752d.jpg (377KB, 736x1027px) Image search: [Google]
771f7f757e298e74f950da21bae8752d.jpg
377KB, 736x1027px
>>2765106
A lot of people may describe this woman as dead, yet others claim that she is alive in this photograph. She was a burn victim, apparently.
>>
>>2765079
Most are fakes.
>>
>>2765079
https://youtu.be/E8DxI8Pn1Uw
You may enjoy OP
>>
If you literally only had one opportunity to capture your grandma's visage for all of eternity to pass onto to your children you probably wouldn't care if they were dead or alive either.
>>
>>2765124
Regarding the OP picture, I probably wouldn't even care to have grandmother's photo, by the point she looks in there. It looks like the child could also be dead, or just dead scared of standing next to ghoulish grandma I understand why post-mortem photography had an appeal, but some of those photographs look rather unreasonable, to me.
>>
>>2765079
This looks shopped, I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing a few shops in my time
>>
>>2765116
She's most likely alive, unless the picture was taken less then like 40 minutes after death, giveaway is eyes, the fluid in them would have turned cloudy by now, but I suppose it is possible they put fake eyes in.
>>
>>2765144
... you do realize that OP picture is a Halloween photoshop
>>
>>2765165
She's alive. Actual Victorian postmortem photography did not involve posing dead people to look alive. Pictures were taken of the dead bodies in caskets, or in beds surrounded by flowers and crosses and mementos, they weren't posted sitting or standing or otherwise in any way made to look alive.
>>
>>2765079

its a myth
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.