[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I know that history is true?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Committee_of_Five_1776.png (746KB, 801x600px) Image search: [Google]
Committee_of_Five_1776.png
746KB, 801x600px
I understand that this may come across as "babby's first existential dilemma". But this is honestly something that concerns me.

When I am reading history, how do I know that I am reading truth? How could I prove, for instance, that the Whiskey Rebellion in 1791 actually happened? Or that Caesar was assassinated in 44 BC? We have to go off of historical accounts, but aren't accounts always influenced by propaganda? And the person writing it down always has their own agenda, do they not?

Whenever I'm reading history, there's always this nagging feeling that it may not be 100% true and that certain parts of the story have been colored or altered. Is there any way to get over this fear?
>>
>>2764756
Holocaust did not happen
>>
>>2764756
its never 100% true

you have to find more than one reliable source , which takes a long and arduous time to do

then you take those sources and you make your own assumption
>>
>>2764756

Why do you believe anything anyone says?
>>
This is why you gather multiple accounts + examine the "before and after" so you can be fairly sure that it DID happen

Things don't just happen for no reason at all
>>
>>2764756
No it's a good fear to keep. Always think about the sources you are reading what their biases where at the time of writing it. Also, generally speaking there are different levels of certainty. If something has multiple sources and physica l evidence backing it up then things are more certain. If your only source is a personal memoir then odds are what you are reading is very uncertain.

Also, remember the majority of stuff you read isn't first hand so there is another lair of biases to get through before you read anything.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.