[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Christianity estranging us from our Ancient societies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 16

Does anyone else feel that Christianity estranges us from our pagan past?
Supposedly if only the Jews knew the one true God, what could be made of ancient Roman, Greek, Celtic, and Germanic societies?
It really kinda fucks up our history if they all lived lives that ended in hell.
>>
>>2762035
Those ignorant of Christ are not sent to hell.
>>
>>2762046
Where do they go, and what scriptural basis is there for the answer?
>>
>>2762046
Bullshit. All unbelievers stand before God without excuse.

Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse....

By your idiotic logic, Jesus' Great Commission to tell everyone the gospel was Jesus' attempt to condemn mankind.

Jesus did not come to condemn the world. It was already condemned from Eden forward. He came to save those who wanted to be saved.
>>
Say it with me.
*draws breath*
WE
>>
>>2762051
Purgatory
>>
>>2762051
There is none. There is only one mention of people in hell who knew more and rejected more getting more stripes (lashes) and people who knew less and rejected less getting fewer lashes.

Luke 12
And that servant who knew his master’s will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.
>>
>>2762074
Catholic fanfic with zero basis in the bible.
>>
>>2762074
>what scriptural basis is there for the answer?
>>
>>2762060
No. Ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ.
>>
>>2762085
Ignorance of the Law is no excuse on heaven or earth.

Christ is evident in the universe, which that verse clearly states, so rather than ignorance, a person not accepting Christ's gift of salvation stands condemned.

Not innocent.
>>
File: 1485815349645.png (198KB, 1190x838px) Image search: [Google]
1485815349645.png
198KB, 1190x838px
>>2762060
>his invisible attributes are clearly seen

what
>>
>>2762084
The Divine Comedy
>>2762077
meh works for me
>>
>>2762091
Power. Glory. Order. Fashion sense.
>>
>>2762095
It may satisfy your incuriousity, but it will not stand before God, as you will.
>>
>>2762095
>The Divine Comedy
>scripture
i want some answer tbqhwukin
>>
File: 1485743874960.gif (594KB, 249x214px) Image search: [Google]
1485743874960.gif
594KB, 249x214px
>>2762096
how can I see something that is invisible? Your bible is kinda retarded senpai
>>
File: beowulf.jpg (2MB, 2000x1170px) Image search: [Google]
beowulf.jpg
2MB, 2000x1170px
>>2762090
>For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen
>Christ's gift of salvation
where was this in 500 BC Jutland?
>>
>>2762103
By its effects. You can't see the wind, but you can see leaves being blown by the wind.

You can't see God's power, but you can imagine it by what it took to speak the universe into existence.

It's not retarded from the inside, only from the outside.
>>
>>2762108
Anyone who believed in Moses and the prophets believed in Jesus, because they were talking about Jesus.

Paradise, the good side of Hades, was well populated when Jesus died and led those people into heaven. The story revolved around a random beggar who made it into Paradise prior to Jesus' death. A person who the Jews would have reviled. And yet the person the Jews would have respected, the rich man, went to Torment.
>>
>>2762111
>You can't see God's power, but you can imagine it by what it took to speak the universe into existence.
why couldn't we just be living in Middangeard by this logic?
>>
>>2762068
*paints face with woad*
WUZ
>>
>>2762115
>Anyone who believed in Moses and the prophets believed in Jesus, because they were talking about Jesus.
>500 BC Jutland

>Paradise, the good side of Hades, was well populated when Jesus died and led those people into heaven. The story revolved around a random beggar who made it into Paradise prior to Jesus' death. A person who the Jews would have reviled. And yet the person the Jews would have respected, the rich man, went to Torment.
>500 BC Jutland
>>
>>2762090
But people already had an explaination for those phenomenas; their own gods. How could they differentiate those from Christ? Why would they assume some extra power is involved?
>>
File: IMG_0910.jpg (39KB, 413x479px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0910.jpg
39KB, 413x479px
>>2762035
Paganism is for insular racist types who care more about DNA and dead societies than universalism and divine love. We are all the children of God.

Pagan "civilization" was an age of ignorance and savagery
>>
>>2762118
Sorry, I don't LARP.
>>
File: rhodes.jpg (998KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
rhodes.jpg
998KB, 1200x800px
>>2762139
>Pagan "civilization" was an age of ignorance and savagery
kek you posted a bunch of Christians

here's some ancient pagans
>>
>>2762137
Allow me to further cite the same verse.

Romans 1
For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

Believing in God is a big deal to God.
Not believing in God is a big deal to God.
>>
>>2762129
If you think the torah did not get widely disseminated, as it was written a thousand years before then, you're gravely mistaken.
>>
>>2762145
>Sorry, I don't LARP.
Is this all that your search for truth can be quantified as?
you follow it only because it's the established belief system?
I'm not a pagan, but i think you should be able to quantify your beliefs better
>>
>>2762153
show me Torahs in ancient Europe outside of Jewish settlements anywhere

but then again, the Jews were an incredibly closed ethnicity who seemed to like to use YHWH as a justification for their actions over a spreading of salvation.
>>
>>2762154
I believe the truth because it's the truth.

I don't make shit up and I don't believe the "established belief system".

You're of course free to do as you see fit, and then reap the consequences.
>>
>>2762160
Babylonian/Persian captivity 600 BC spawns Zoroastrianism, based on the torah.

Strangers, and Jews who lived outside of Israel, traveled to Jerusalem at least once per year.

We're all one big family, dude. Word gets around when there is a living God in Israel.
>>
>>2762115

>>>>>>>>>
>>
>>2762163
>Babylonian/Persian
>Europe

>spawns Zoroastrianism, based on the torah
>Semites trying to steal Indo-European culture
>>
>>2762147
>wow statue big and shiny! me love statue! statue is god!
>>
>>2762151
So basically they knew internally that they were wrong?
>>
>>2762178
Europeans stole Babylonian culture.
>>
>>2762161
>I believe the truth because it's the truth.
quantify this, if it is the truth it can be revealed to be so

and by this i shouldn't have to believe to have it revealed to be the truth, it should be believed because it is the truth
>>
>>2762183
If you made a statue of a bird and declared that the bird created the universe, would you believe you were telling the truth?
>>
>>2762185
lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_religion
>>
>>2762187
You cannot believe unrevealed truth.

If you are seeking the truth, his name is Yehoshua.
>>
>>2762190
So, so ignorant using wiki as an authority.

In all cases.
>>
>>2762182
lets see how God's Chosen People are doing right now
>>
>>2762196
>So, so ignorant using wiki as an authority.
>In all cases.
might i see your sources?
mine are well-sourced, with anthropological studies backing it as the leading understanding
>>
>>2762201
Daniel didn't bow down. Shadrach, Meshack and Abednego didn't bow down. They did just fine.
>>
>>2762201
theyre still around

i dont see any babylonians however
>>
>>2762193
>You cannot believe unrevealed truth.
so let's get this straight, it goes something like:
>believe the Christian narrative is the truth
>now you think it is the truth because you believe it is the truth
it's circular logic unless:
>convince me that it is the truth from outside the faith
then i accept it is the truth

>If you are seeking the truth, his name is Yehoshua.
proofs
>>
>>2762077
>zero basis in the Bible
Are you claiming that the Bible contains the sum total of God's Will and Creation?
>>
>>2762212
other East Semites are around

I'm not saying the Babylonians were good either
>>
>>2762218
Why are you wasting your time
>>
>>2762229
because i seriously, honestly, want to believe that Christianity is right, and i want my doubts casted away

the conversation ITT is only furthering my doubts
>>
>>2762232
>because i seriously, honestly, want to believe that Christianity is right
why
>>
File: 1431270269443.png (279KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1431270269443.png
279KB, 500x400px
>Adding to the Torah
>Innovating a new religion

Your idolatry is unsustainable and false.
>>
>>2762035
Christianity is bullshit though, and nobody is stopping you from worshiping multiple deities if you so chose.

Although you are right that christfaggotry is tedious hebrew bullshit that no european has any business believing in.
>>
>>2762232
That's what happens when you listen to fedoras larping as fundies.
Do you know how I reconcile my concerns about pagans and unbaptized babies or whoever going to hell?
By trusting God.

If you don't believe God is a capricious asshole, then why would you believe he would act like one?

>b-but the Bible says
The Bible was written by men who were inspired by God. It does not contain the blueprints of the universe, or the complete revelation of God's will. There's no reason to believe it can tell you anything more than only the most superficial things about the nuances of the here after, as it's province is the living, not the dead.

Do not concern yourself with the souls of the dead, trust that God will treat them justly. The only soul which should concern you is your own.
>>
>>2762205
The inerrant Word of God. The bible. Perhaps you've heard of it.
>>
>>2762218
Your thinking is as muddy as your posting.

It's easy to believe the truth. It's not easy finding the truth.
>>
>>2762226
I'm stating directly that there is no "purgatory" in the bible, at all.

That it is, in fact, Catholic fanfic.

Was my prior post unclear?
>>
>>2762295
It does, however, clearly state that all dead babies go to heaven.

You know, if you bother reading it once in a while.

It also demonstrates why everyone, not just pagans, deserve to go to hell.

You know, again, if you bothered reading it.

The last thing anyone should wish for another is that God judges them "justly".
>>
>>2762250
Because we gutted our own culture for the sake of a foreign belief that isn't even truth
>>
>>2762346
The New Covenant is open to all mankind.

Your "culture" does not have a monopoly on objective truth, by definition.
>>
>>2762163
STF you inbred kike.
>>
>>2762359
Strong argument. You must have been on your University debate team.
>>
>>2762035
t. Varg
>>
>>2762346
>""""""""""""we"""""""""""" gutted
>""""""""""""our own"""""""""""" culture
you're not a roman m8, quit fucking larping
>>
>>2762358
Putting 'culture' in quotation marks doesn't make it not culture faggot
I'm also along you to show how it is true, and this you have not done.

>>2762390
I'm ethnically an Anglo, a Germanic, an Indo-European, a people with their own pre-Christian beliefs and culture.
This is objectively true.
>>
>>2762346
your culture wasn't truth either
>>
>>2762035
Christianity kept pagan traditions alive while removing its primitive, scattered thought. Man needs monisms, if it's not God it's Darwin, race and war.
>>
>>2762460
>I'm also along you to show how it is true, and this you have not done.

Did this make sense in your head before you puked it into the thread?
>>
>>2763441
Catholicism did that.

Not Christianity.

Learn the difference. It can literally save your life.
>>
>>2763470
Christmas trees are Lutheran.
>>
>>2762321
>It does, however, clearly state that all dead babies go to heaven.
Really?
Show me where it unequivocally spells out that all babies automatically go to heaven you spiteful bastard.
>>
File: YHWH.jpg (676KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
YHWH.jpg
676KB, 1200x1800px
Why do Christians pretend to be opposed to Muslims and Jews? As witnessed in this thread, the exact kind of Semitic spiritual supremacism found in the two other sister religions is expressed with venom.

Denigration of the past is a wholly Jewish revolutionary conception. "Pagans were barbarians! Uncultured! *ignores greco-roman civilization, and takes all their philosophy, aesthetics and other holidays to layer gold around their Jewish turd*"

Marxism is the 4th edition of Abrahamism, and it is equally iconoclastic and derisive of past incarnations of both its origins (Christianity), and before. Christians denounced every spirit or fey entity "superstition" and touted YHWH the enlightened RASHUNAL "truth". Just like Marxism now cannibalizes Christianity for its "superstition".
>>
>>2762315
and I asked you if you believe the Bible details the sum total of the cosmos, that things that are not mentioned in the Bible do not exist.
>>
>>2762035
>Does anyone else feel that Christianity estranges us from our pagan past?

Pretty much.

We're fucked now, because it was used to unite whites together as a group, and now that we know it's ALL BULLSHIT, there is nothing to replace it, and we're getting over ran by non-whites.
>>
File: 1479464633349.png (511KB, 1596x2384px) Image search: [Google]
1479464633349.png
511KB, 1596x2384px
>>2763588
So it seems
So it seems
>>
>>2763441
>>primitive, scattered thought
Neo-platonic thought was neither primitive nor scattered and it was perfectly capable of making euro polytheism as complex as any other religion.
>>
>>2763492
Not so bright, are you.

Matthew 18:4 Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 19:14 But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”

Mark 10:15 Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.”

Romans 7:9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died.

2 Samuel 12
When David saw that his servants were whispering, David perceived that the child was dead. Therefore David said to his servants, “Is the child dead?”

And they said, “He is dead.”

So David arose from the ground, washed and anointed himself, and changed his clothes; and he went into the house of the Lord and worshiped. Then he went to his own house; and when he requested, they set food before him, and he ate. Then his servants said to him, “What is this that you have done? You fasted and wept for the child while he was alive, but when the child died, you arose and ate food.”

And he said, “While the child was alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, ‘Who can tell whether the Lord will be gracious to me, that the child may live?’ But now he is dead; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.”

Revelation 7:9 [ The Great Crowd Worships God ] After the vision of these things I looked, and there was a great number of people, so many that no one could count them. They were from every nation, tribe, people, and language of the earth. They were all standing before the throne and before the Lamb, wearing white robes and holding palm branches in their hands.
>>
>>2763475
Pure pagan.

Don't care what the Lutherans do; that's your papist bugaboo.

Jeremiah 10
Thus says the Lord:

“Do not learn the way of the Gentiles;
Do not be dismayed at the signs of heaven,
For the Gentiles are dismayed at them.
For the customs of the peoples are futile;
For one cuts a tree from the forest,
The work of the hands of the workman, with the ax.
They decorate it with silver and gold;
They fasten it with nails and hammers
So that it will not topple.
>>
>>2763500
We're not opposed to them. We're trying to get them to see that they need to be transformed by God so that they don't go to hell.
>>
>>2763501
And I'm telling you that your manmade traditions about the bible that have been elevated to holy writ are blasphemous abominations before a holy God.
>>
>>2762046
>Everyone on earth went to heaven before Christ's birth
>Many people after Christ's birth go to hell, because they know but don't believe
>As Christians spread knowledge of Christ, they are sending unbelievers to hell, who would have otherwise gone to heaven by virtue of their ignorance
>>
>>2762035
Are you from a colonial country that has been converted to Christianity only recently?

I don't mean to disrespect or implying that there is anything wrong living in an ex colony.

But how can the past be "ours" if we are so estranged from it? What do we really know about "our"(American?) paganism??
>>
>>2763696
Aye, thus making the Great Commission a decree of genocide.
>>
>>2763658
All men are by nature equal, made all of the same earth by one Workman; and however we deceive ourselves, as dear unto God is the poor peasant as the mighty prince.

Plato
>>
File: t1larg.anwar.al.awlaki.afp.gi.jpg (68KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
t1larg.anwar.al.awlaki.afp.gi.jpg
68KB, 640x360px
>>2762460
>I'm ethnically an Anglo
>>
>>2763749
Are you trying to argue that this comment from Plato means that neo-platonic thought was incompatible with polytheism? If so, you are wrong. It is perfectly possible to have the all the deities of classical polytheism as the manifestations of the same singular creator deity.
>>
>>2763500
this is the funniest shit I've seen on here in a long time
>>
>>2763807
No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Jesus
>>
File: IMG_0019.jpg (249KB, 1280x1059px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0019.jpg
249KB, 1280x1059px
Oh dear Pan and all the other Gods of this place, grant that I may be beautiful inside. Let all my external possessions be in friendly harmony with what is within. May I consider the wise man rich. As for gold, let me have as much as a moderate man could bear and carry with him.
279 – a prayer of Socrates, as portrayed in the dialogue.
>>
>>2763817
And that quote means absolutely nothing to me as I do not agree with the underlying message and I am not a christian.
>>
>>2763827
But some of them said, "By Beelzebul, the prince of demons, he is driving out demons."
>>
>>2763671
Bright enough to see that none of what you cited explicitly States that all babies automatically go to heaven.

Jesus stating that innocence is valued most of all, that a humble child-like nature is required to enter heaven, and that children are every bit as entitled to God's grace as men is not the same thing as an explicit statement that all babies go to heaven automatically.

David saying that he will be reunited with his child is not the same thing as an explicit statement that all babies automatically go to heaven, as all men are not David and all babies are not the child of David.

There is no explicit "sola scriptura", laid out in black and white basis for the claim that babies enter heaven by default in spite of their sin, assuming you actually are a Christian and not a fedora engaged in well poisoning, you are making an assumption based on your conception of God's mercy.

Which is fine, so long as you stop being a hypocrite about it and drop the "intolerant fundie" LARP act.
>>
>>2763688
All biblical traditions are man-made as the Bible was written by men. A fact which no genuine Christian denies.
>>
>>2763844
This quote also means nothing to me. So what are you even trying to say exactly?
>>
>>2763916
"Therefore they commanded the children of Benjamin, saying, Go and lie in wait in the vineyards;"
Judges 21:20
>>
>>2763916
2 Ahaziah had fallen through the lattice in his upper chamber in Samaria, and lay injured; so he sent messengers, telling them, “Go, inquire of Baal-zebub, the god of Ekron, whether I shall recover from this injury.” 3 But the angel of the Lord said to Elijah the Tishbite, “Get up, go to meet the messengers of the king of Samaria, and say to them, ‘Is it because there is no God in Israel that you are going to inquire of Baal-zebub, the god of Ekron?’ 4 Now therefore thus says the Lord, ‘You shall not leave the bed to which you have gone, but you shall surely die.’” So Elijah went.
>>
>>2763943
"And she said, These six measures of barley gave he me; for he said to me, Go not empty unto thy mother in law."
Ruth 3:17
>>
>>2763500
this one is good
>>
>>2762358
>>2763420
yes, and this shouldn't fucking matter. i'm pretty sure most practitioners of shinto, hinduism, and native american religions know they're basically bullshit but they keep doing them anyway because it connects them to their past and the land around them.

the abrahamics with the exception of judaism, though? lol.
>>
>>2763949
Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. (Philippians 3:19)
>>
>>2763943
>>2763949
>>2763975
Dude, I don't believe in your faith and bible quotes aren't going to convince me to do so.
>>
>>2763892
You actually have to think.

I know it's hard; you're used to GIGO puking shit out of your ass.

Try to think.

How would representatives of every single nation, every single tribe, every single language, every single group, be saved?

What does every single group of people, ever, have in common?

If you said dead babies, you win!

But then, you don't know how to win, do you. David is literally saying his kid is in heaven, and when David dies, he'll be reunited with his kid in heaven.

Paul is literally saying that when he was a child, he was innocent under the Law, and when he came of age, the Law came and killed him.

No wonder you people don't read the bible for yourselves. You have no comprehension of the things of God, at all.
>>
>>2763994
"And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire."
Leviticus 21:9
>>
>>2763896
Any Christian who does not know the men were inspired by the Holy Spirit when writing isn't worth much to the Kingdom of God.
>>
>>2763965
Yes, being connected to dirt that will burn in fire is very important.

Keep being connected to doomed dirt. Keep taking credit for the place of your birth and the color of your skin, your two accomplishments in life.

Very smart of you.
>>
>>2763965
Who's stopping you from being a polytheist in the first world exactly? Nobody has said you can't worship the various deities of european pantheons.
>>
>>2762035
Dude virtuous pagan explains this all for Catholics, do some actual research before coming to conclusions
>>
>>2763999
Are you autistic?
>>
>>2763999
The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them. (Ezekiel 18:20)
>>
>>2764005
Catholics
Mattering

Pick one and only one.

Bible: All men have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Papists: pagans can be virtuous.
>>
>>2764011
He gets his kicks off of posting random bible verses to see if anyone bites.

So, yes.
>>
>>2764014
>>2764011
>>2764022
"And unleavened bread, and cakes unleavened tempered with oil, and wafers unleavened anointed with oil: of wheaten flour shalt thou make them."
Exodus 29:2
>>
>>2764022
Oh okay, I'll stop replying then.
>>
>>2764001
the dude is fucking omnipotent and omniscient, how could anyone "be of use" to him
>>
>>2763997
Once again, you're making assumptions and treating those assumptions as explicit truth that is plainly laid out in scripture, which is clearly not the case to anyone that can read.

If a conclusion can only be drawn after interpretation it is not the product of "clearly stated" scripture. The fact that adultery is a sin requires no interpretation, it is clearly stated. There is no equivalent statement in the Bible regarding the ultimate fate of dead babies, and you're lying if you pretend otherwise.
>>
>>2764001
>the men who wrote and compiled the Bible were inspired by the Holy Spirit
>those exact same men magically ceased to be inspired by God the moment they began to establish traditions of Christianity though, because reasons
>>
>>2764036
31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
>>
>>2763469
Replace 'along' with 'allowing'
>>
I haven't read a single post in this thread. Before I do, let me ask a question: Is there a single theologically or philosophically sound argument ANYWHERE which attempts to sincerely make the case that Christianity DOES NOT estrange Europeans from their past and that the nuanced understandings of Hell in Catholic or Orthodox theology aren't really as OP describes?

Or am going to read a bunch of shitposting and shilling by Jews, Neopagans and Atheist followed by some false flagging?
>>
>>2764760
>Or am going to read a bunch of shitposting and shilling by Jews, Neopagans and Atheist followed by some false flagging?
This, but no neopagans, just some devil's advocates

If you can do the above, please do so, I'm a desperate OP
>>
yea that's what it's meant to do
your pagan past is a shitty slave society fell apart on it's own.
>>
>>2764788
>you might actually believe this
>>
>>2764771
I'll say this about Hell. Catholicism proper (I don't know about Orthodoxy or Protestantism) teaches that righteous people before Christ got into Heaven after Christ's journey to Hades and that righteous non-Christian DO go a special, heaven like place, even if they don't go to Christ per say.
>>
>>2764793
somebody invented a steam engine in ancient alexandria, but no one ever found a use for it because slavery was so much more economical.
>>
File: 1445551811359.jpg (20KB, 720x142px) Image search: [Google]
1445551811359.jpg
20KB, 720x142px
>>2762035
if christianity disappeared tomorrow you would be just as estranged from those ancient societies because the pagans were defeated and their culture was destroyed
>>
File: 1492005128459.jpg (352KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1492005128459.jpg
352KB, 2560x1440px
>>2762035
>pagan

Stop using that word. Seriously.
It makes people think that there is Christianity... and those other little religions. Bullshit.
There are so many other belief systems, with millions of worshippers / followers. Even before Christianity.
You can't just call "pagan" anything non-Christian. That's childish.

Call it druidism, ancestral veneration, shamanism, animism, etc.

>It really kinda fucks up our history if they all lived lives that ended in hell.

Nonsense.
Here's the thing: Christianity is just one of the many, many religions.
And all these beliefs (well, most of them) have their own afterlife.

Now who could tell that after I die my soul (or whatever you call it)
>goes to Heaven or Hell
>enters Hades
>arrives to Valhalla
>joins the ancestors
>gets eaten by some Cthulhu-like cosmic horror
>lingers in a spooky dimension with the other ghosts
>goes nowhere, because there is no soul or afterlife
>reborn as another living being

Etc, etc...
There are so many belief systems.
It's actually fun to study them - seriously, try it. I loved to read about Egyptian, Greek and other myths when I was a child. It's a great way to learn about your world.
>>
>>2765620
>not knowing pagan is the term normally applied to all simple religions in the Roman Empire
What does AD mean lad
>>2764812
It was a bloody toy
>>
>>2764804
That's not catholic teaching
I know because I'm a good catholic
>>
>>2764018
>not knowing how to greentext
Also what are you using as your source for 'bible' texts that don't exist until the 15th century? Non canonical texts ?
KJV bible
>>
>>2765682
>not knowing we don't live in the Roman Empire anymore

Wew
>>
>>2764095
You are just telling shit.
According to the Bible once we die we all go to Hell.
Then, once the time comes, we are all revived to be judged and the people that did not know God will have a chance to accept or reject Him.
That's the millennium kingdom.
>>
>>2763500
Best post.
>>
>>2762035
The basics are: Did you listen to God or the Holy Spirit or whatnot and actually tried to be a good person regardless of the framework of whatever you were born into? Great, you're heaven material. Were you a huge dick, whether pagan or infidel or Christian? Sucks to be you.
>>
>>2762286
>denying the influence of the Bible on Western morality
>>
>>2764760
I would assume it does, but at the same time you could make the same argument about atheism. Europe by now has a very stong Christian past that totally reinvented society and politics across the continent. When we talk about divorce from beliefs, you can pick practically any reference point and go from there.
>>
>>2762311
Not even that guy but you are consistently avoiding his questions and it's very frustrating to watch from the outside. Please consider learning to actually argue for your beliefs, if they are indeed so dear.
>>
>>2765682
>They were savages!
>They built steam engines for toys
>>
>>2765688
nice non-argument.
>>
>>2765682
""""pagan"""" philosophies such as Platonism and aristotelianism are integral parts of Christianity. The idea that a divide exist between "Abrahamic" religions and Christianity falls apart when you realize that non-abrahamic religions (such as Zoroastrianism or Hinduism) demonize each other's pantheons and that certain Abrahamic beliefs (such as Gnosticism or esoteric Christianity) are far more inclusive and opposed to the idea of a """chosen""" people.

Part of Christianity's problem is that it's treated as an easily defined conceptual construct when it really isn't. A Christian could make the case that the Jews were always deluded and their 613 commandments stemmed from Satan or the Demiurge just as easily as they could make the case that the 613 commandments were good for a time being until Christ came with the new covenant.
>>
>>2767071
>""""pagan"""" philosophies such as Platonism and aristotelianism are integral parts of Christianity.

kek, this

Christianity is built on """pagan""" philosophy.
>>
File: Francesco_Petrarca00.jpg (42KB, 317x497px) Image search: [Google]
Francesco_Petrarca00.jpg
42KB, 317x497px
Your "pagan past" is either romanticized Renaissance LARPing (Roman and Greek) or XIXth century fan-fictions (Celtic and Germanic).

True paganism is more like those African witch doctors killing hens to cure a blister.
>>
>>2767605
>True paganism is more like those African witch doctors killing hens to cure a blister.
Or contemporary IE-derived religions like Zoroastrianism and Hinduism.

Or the INCREDIBLY well-documented Greco-Roman pantheons.
Even Germanic religion can be made accessible with some honest research when you cut out the Romanticism.
>>
>>2763648
Why did you remove the fedora guy on the right ?
>>
>>2764018
Also
>Catholics
>not the last surviving branch of Christianity the church fathers used
>>
>>2764011
No I'm Altruistic
>>
>>2763696
Then you don't run the risk of not being a virtuous pagan
>>
>>2762051
Heaven if they were virtuous
Hell if not
Who needs scripture when the pope is gods representative on earth
>>
>>2768549
>takings things at face value
Love to see you in Holocaust threads
>>
>>2765712
Guess we should come up with new names for those islands in north west Europe then
>>
>>2767020
Where did I say they were savages?
>>2767071
Did I trigger you, we call them pagans that was my point not calling them savages or anything from that statement alone
>>
>>2767572
>Christianity is built on """pagan""" philosophy.
So is Judaism, Islam and everything else. "Pagan" only means rustic and is useless term unless it's referring to the pre-Christian Europeans after the Christianization of Rome.
>>
>>2769199
>speak dumb shit
>get called out on it

>'lol ur such a literalist'
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.