[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To any materialists out there, Do holes exist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1484847553474.jpg (47KB, 400x710px) Image search: [Google]
1484847553474.jpg
47KB, 400x710px
To any materialists out there,

Do holes exist?
>>
>>2758782
As an idea which we can observe as energetic impulses and alterations to the physical structure of the brain.. That's about it.

What's with the bull?
>>
>>2758829
I just like how it looks.
>>
>>2758835
Cool. Generally as a materialist, it's hard to say in an objective sense that anything really exists, which is why it eventually takes itself towards mereological nihilism if you don't ground it in something arbitrary.
>>
yes, there can be no hole without something to put a hole into and you can define the hole based on that thing
>>
>>2758855
Out of curiosity, do you subscribe to the Identity theory of mind, or functionalism?

>>2758859
Would you agree that such talk of holes seems to imply to some degree they are a separate thing, even if they clearly cannot exist on their own?

I suppose of course it can be explained as a feature of an object's structure, but to say that a hole could be in a playing card, or in a fence, or any sort of thing, speak to holes having an independent existence in some way?
>>
>>2758899
I'm not hugely versed in the subject matter, but giving it a quick look, I'd say functionalism makes the most sense. Trying to describe a mental state or process by strict physical interactions would be pointless, but describing them by what they do would make the most sense.

Which kind of goes against what I said about ideas being able to be observed as physical processes, but that's not to say that would be the best way to describe that idea, just merely a way to demonstrate that there is indeed something (perhaps even the idea of a hole) there, the idea of the hole is still better described by its function.
>>
>>2758835
Y u lie
>>
>>2758899
If your definition of existence isn't something offbeat and includes the particles in an object then you must look at the properties of these particles, the way they are arranged, their locations relative to each other.

You might argue "it is just an idea in the brain", but the particles have those properties, are arranged in that way and exist in that way.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.