[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You wake up and its 1717

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 34

File: thelastsuitofyourlife.jpg (316KB, 1280x1902px) Image search: [Google]
thelastsuitofyourlife.jpg
316KB, 1280x1902px
So anon, you wake up and it is suddenly May 1717.You are at the same spot you went to bed last night.
You got period clothing and a bag full of silver worth a skilled craftsman's yearly wages. Also you will find flint&steel plus a small knife in one of your pockets.
So how fucked are you?
Any plans to change the world?

>inb4 sperglords screech "the drop, what about the drop?!?"
>>
File: e7a5e39a27186ecfecc42da6d98c191e.jpg (158KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
e7a5e39a27186ecfecc42da6d98c191e.jpg
158KB, 768x1024px
I'll probably be arrested on suspicion of being a Jacobite so I may as well actually become one
>>
File: Wenzel_Of_Liechtenstein.jpg (23KB, 394x541px) Image search: [Google]
Wenzel_Of_Liechtenstein.jpg
23KB, 394x541px
>>2756259
>being a Jacobite
Bow to the one true king, Wenzel, Lord of the Scots and the English!
>>
>>2756248
>So how fucked are you?
Northern Switzerland, I should be fine.
>Any plans to change the world?
With the money I can build a prototype for cotton gin's combing machines and spinning jennies. If I manage to find investors I can kickstart the Industrial Revolution early.
Either that or emigrating to the America, becoming a wealthy plantation owner.
>>
>>2756248
>same spot
I fall down 15 metres and die, probably
>>
File: Sperglord.jpg (128KB, 529x399px) Image search: [Google]
Sperglord.jpg
128KB, 529x399px
>>2756476
>>
>>2756248
>Wake up in south Australia some 60 years years prior to european colonisation

well It'll be an intresting experince to say the least
>>
>Scania
>1717
>Soon to become Swedish proper, living in a guerilla warzone where entire villages are wiped out because one person in said village is suspected of partisanship

I'm probably pretty fucked.
>>
File: abodisco.jpg (35KB, 400x264px) Image search: [Google]
abodisco.jpg
35KB, 400x264px
>>2756501
Join the tribe!
>>
>>2756506
considering its either that or somehow make my way up north, somehow get to Indonesia and then try my luck getting to europe propably my best chance of surviving
>>
>Ottawa valley

I'll probably get murdered by injuns unless I find some lumberjacks.
>>
>>2756248
Fucking swamp man.
I'll just move to Vienna, once i'm out of this swamp. Jut gotta evade the armies.
>>
>>2756501
What exactly counts a "period clothing" in precolonial Australia? People are probably assuming that they're going to be issued a nice set of breeches and hose when reality, especially in your case you might wind up with a loincloth or nothing at all but some beads.

Have fun with your Aboriginal "period clothing" anon.
>>
>>2756248
>right the Missouri 60 miles SE of Kansas City
Hope a tribe will take me in or there's a nearby French fort.
>>
Middle of Iowa. So I'll probably be killed by natives
>>
>>2756248
>Washington over 100 years before Lewis and Clark explore the place
hmmmm
>>
File: image-20150311-20556-1x1m9dw.jpg (152KB, 1009x1388px) Image search: [Google]
image-20150311-20556-1x1m9dw.jpg
152KB, 1009x1388px
>>2756545
A possum skin cloak I guess
>>
File: koteka.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
koteka.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>2756545
You get a koteka and a nose ring so you don't stand out.
>>
File: IMG_9075.jpg (282KB, 1328x1327px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9075.jpg
282KB, 1328x1327px
>>2756553
marry into a chiefs senpai
>>
>>2756565
pretty sure this guy is papua or iriyanjaya
>>
>>2756565
you could have a nose ring and gauges and fit in with teenagers in the us 7 years ago
>>
>>2756570
You still will get a koteka! Because I say so!
>>
>in Central America
>18 century Spanish colonial wear
>the city hasn't even expanded to where I'm at
Walk the 2km to where the city is and hitch a ride out of to the coast, become pirate, Fuck whores
>>
>get beat up for sleeping on the state border of PLC and Prussia

thanks bro
>>
If you have to walk more than a couple of miles from the spot where you're at to find signs of civilization your country is too young
>>
I'll be in my hometown in direct proximity of Montreal. It was a french possession and vastly pacified by then so I wouldn't be too worried.
I would try to get a job in the administration considering my current skills (i.e. I can read, write and shits) or maybe become a priest for shits and giggles. Worse case scenario, I would marry a qt french girl and become a farmer.
>>
>>2756248
Cool I'm in Reading, the 4th most prosperous city in England prior to the English Civil war which we're just recovering from.
I'm quick to go to the family house
I tell them my accent comes from having a black tutor
I go to the royal society and with my wages and biochemistry degree put on amazing lectures
Hopefully I will end up as court researcher or something
Waiting until the death of king George I, and 5 years after the last Jacobite rebellion, so 1750 or so, I petition the king to restore the rights of catholic englishmen, to vote, to own property and to serve as officers in the army. On the prequisite that all current catholic claimnants abandon their claim of attempt to reconcile Church of England and the Catholic Church
>>
>>2756248
Great, I'm stranded in the arid plains leading up to the front range of the Colorado Rockies, with the only civilization within a few hundred miles to give me more than grass to eat being hostile Injuns. Thanks OP.
>>
>>2756658
Why are there so many burgers in this thread, or is it just colonial nations don't need to WEWUZ greatness
>>
>Middle of Kansas
>1717

I better find a French settlement and learn French.
>>
>>2756704
>English language board
>"Why are there so many people from the largest Anglophone country?"
>>
File: ok.png (187KB, 600x339px) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
187KB, 600x339px
Europeans get wealthy and proserous and can make their dreams come true. Burgers & cunts die a horrible death in the wild.
>>
Well that means I'm waking up in the uncolonized northern Nevada desert with no supplies. I'd probably die by sundown.
>>
>>2756248
Central Slovakia. The most wealthy region in the whole monarchy, woke up in beautiful renaissance house. In the kitchen. Don't know hungarian. If I won't find Thurzo in less than an hour I am fucked.
>>
>russia
>peasant ancestry
guess i'll die building st petersburg
>>
>Kyoto

HOWAITO PIGGU GO HOOOOOOME!!!!!!
>>
Praise my new bourbons kings
>>
>>2756790
East coast Americans might be alright.

I, on the other hand, am entirely fucked.

Maybe I could make my way to San Juan Capistrano... Wait, no, about 50 years too soon.

I wonder how the natives feel about silver...
>>
>>2756248
>the drop
what does this mean?
>>
>>2756894
See it positive, you likely wipe out 70% of the natives singlehandedly with your germs before they torture you to death and make trophies out of your body in a bizarre ritual.
>>
>>2756902
see here >>2756476
>>
>>2756248
>South Netherlands
Barely anything changes, except people dress a little bit more like they have a mental disfunction
>>
>>2756910
Any special plans what you do with your bag of silver and the rest of your life? Or do you just spend it on weed and hookers?
>>
>>2756920
Move to Indonesia and start aweed plantation.
>>
>>2756248
>How fucked are you?

Pretty fucked considering there'd be nothing but fucking swamp as far as the eye could see.
>>
>>2756929
Louisiana?
>>
>>2756933
South Florida
>>
>>2756910

>1717

Thats exactly the year which appears in a Coat of Arms, in a palace that stands just a couple of km of where I am right now, a Coat of Arms where my surname can be read...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbBX6aEzEz8
>>
>>2756907
Eh, most of the southern cali tribes are pretty laxed... Didn't bother the Spanish too much. They visited a few times in the two centuries before, but didn't set up missions until 1769. Didn't encounter much in the way of resistance.

...Though yes, they did wipe out most of them with disease. Injuns didn't get uppity about it until the gold rush and folks started using some of them as slave labor.
>>
fall 30meters to the ground and die
>>
>New Mexico

Considering I'm Navajo and can actually speak the language, I find some others and claim the Spanish kidnapped me as a slave if they ask about my clothes
>>
>>2756952
That seems like a very popular thing to do
>>
>>2756935
There's some towns about - maybe you could make your way to St. Augustine or part of the Spanish mission network.
>>
The part of the city i live wasnt constructed.built till the 90s. So i walk a ciuple of km to spanish colonial bogota. Then maybe hitch a ride to cartagena and help the pirates take the city. Booty snd plunder yo ho!
>>
>>2756935
But there is Spanish settlements in Florida at the time.
>>
Port city nearby, everybody speaks English. Pretty good
>>
>>2756964
St. Augustine is a solid 4 to 5 day hike. And that's with modern infrastructure.
>>
>>2756982
Well, you got a knife, you got flint & steel and you got silver. Are you originally from the North? because Southerners usually aren't that a pussy over a bit of camping!
>>
>>2756955
HOW
>>
>>2756967
Throughout Northern Florida.

I don't know if you're aware of this but Florida is a pretty long state. The settlements were focused around Northern Florida and mostly everything south of St. Augustine was the Everglades. Animal infested swampland.

The only hope i have is to go balls deep, hike south and island hop and try to make it to the keys. They had one fort in Key West. See if i can hop on a boat there to take me to the carribbean.
>>
>>2756955
So what then? Just live it out injun style or do you bring the Navajo up to speed for their endgame with the blue eyed devils?
>>
>>2757012
Now imagine being in southern Australia instead...
>>
File: FloridaMissions.png (143KB, 398x295px) Image search: [Google]
FloridaMissions.png
143KB, 398x295px
>>2756982
Well, here's a map. You know, just in case.
>>
>>2757034
Thanks. Goin on the wall it is.
>>
Southern Germany. I should be ok.
I use my money to publish a book with prophecies about the future. I'll top Nostradamus by far.
>>
I'm from Trujillo so I will just need to walk about 2 km because where I am wasn't urbanized at the time
>>
I'd be in Georgia a little before the colony is created. I could probably make it to South Carolina if I kept to the east.
>>
>>2757062
Actually I'll be fucked because they built walls around Trujillo against the pirates im the 1600s xd
>>
>>2757064
The Yamasee will skin you alive if they catch you.
>>
>>2756248
>England
I'm an economist by training so i'd probably try to get a job in parliament as a finnancial advisor and draft up the core tenants of keynesian economics just to see how it floats in a merchantilist nation.
Oh and visit the new part we added a decade ago.
>>
>>2757074
Just use the door Pancho.
>>
Southern California here, I could probably build a fucking mansion with cheap mexican/Native-American labor, but instead I would invest my money into building a bank so I can jew the natives and local government out of their sweet spanish coin, and build on my monopoly of the Spanish economy from there, and after that I'd see if I can pull a Founding Fathers on the disgruntled New Spain inhabitants and declare independence, and in so doing, establish the First Mexican Empire. Also I'd use the knife and flintnsteel to skin a snake and temper it's hide for some sweet snakeskin boots.
>>
>>2757107
1717 - no Spanish or Mexican establishments here yet. It's a looong walk through some endless desert to the nearest of them.

And the natives, while not particularly hostile, also apparently don't particularly value silver. Though I suppose they'd still be pretty shinies.

Not too clear on whether you get your own culture's period clothing, or the native's.
>>
Waking up in 1777 Vienna and for some reason sleeping on the streets. I would like it if I wasn`t going to be dragged into 3 wars in the next 20 years.
>>
>>2756248
I have to travel about ten miles west to get to Manhattan so pretty good. Too bad I'm a fucking chink.
>>
Could be much worse, really.

I'm in a suburbs very close to Paris, in a village that would be considered part of Paris itself in a few decades. Louis XIV just died, but the Regent is pretty fucking based, economy is recovering from decades of war and we're at peace for now. Great time to be in Paris itself too. Louis XIV moved the court to Versailles because he didn't trust the Parisians, but he still did a lot to improve the city and you have new avenues, monuments, plazas, gardens everywhere. The Regent moved it's court back into the city. Intellectual life is booming, salons and cafƩs are opening all over the place. It's the second largest city in Europe, but still pretty much the center of it. There are merchants, diplomats, students from all over France and all over the world.

As for my plans, I have to consider my assets: I can read and write, know French, English, Spanish, and bits and pieces of Latin, Ancient Greek and other languages. I have received an education that is superior to what 99% of the people get. I'm from a noble family, but with no way to prove it other than my signet ring and a vague ressemblance. Of course I have knowledge of future events, but trying to rely on that is a sure way of ending up in an asylum. I could probably find a job as a tutor or a secretary by hanging out in the right places, and make my way up from there. With a bit of luck, ending up as a diplomat or an advisor to some high ranking official isn't out of the question. In that position, I could try to influence events, especially anything related to how badly Louis XV will fuck our shit up.

Other than that, with that kind of money I could probably emigrate to America, buy myself land in New France, the Thirteen Colonies, or Saint-Domingue, and make a fortune from lumber, sugar, tobacco, or cotton.

Here's something if you want to imagine what Paris around that time sounded and looked like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP__1eHeyo4
>>
>>2757144
1717, learn to read!
>>
>>2756761
>Americans speak English
Biggest spook I've ever seen on here
>>
>>2757147
And here's a map. I'm a bit down the Seine, not shown on the map.
>>
>>2757147
>>2757164
Effing Euros have it easy mode...

...Yer still gonna drop ~50ft to your death! :P
>>
>>2757164
Will they let you into the city?
>>
>>2756248
>So how fucked are you?
I am in the north West of Argentina, tucuman to be exactly . By 1717 this place would probably be one of many Spanish cities after the war with the calchalquis . So yeah not that fucked since the barbarians were enslave already. I can't Wait to buy slaves
>>
File: laughingconquistadores.jpg (103KB, 817x669px) Image search: [Google]
laughingconquistadores.jpg
103KB, 817x669px
>>2757203
Are you really white or Argentinian "white"?
>>
>>2756248

Well I'll wake up in a field since my city was only a small town then and the house I live in wasn't built until 1840. As to what I do, I'll become a serial killer and cannibal.
>>
>>2757250
At least the house was built, where I am rn wasnt even urbanized xd
>>
>>2757162
Americans speak English, Spooks speak Ebonics.
>>
Buy a lute and introduce high baroque and classicism idioms early.
>>
>>2756248
>central Oklahoma
I could probably pose as a lost Anglo-American explorer/merchant. If I avoid being killed by the Apache or any other angry natives, I can head southeast to New Orleans if I follow the local rivers down the Mississippi. If the natives aren't cunts, then I can probably trade for food on my way to a French or Spanish trading post/fort. From there, probably come to the 13 colonies and invent something, perhaps meet a young Benjamin Franklin in the north.
>>
>>2756248
I try to learn German ASAP. I volunteer in the Austro-Turkish war that started last year. I'll then try landing a job in the administration or becoming a colonist in Slavonia for comfy rural living.
>>
Well, now I'm in Spanish Mexico as someone who doesn't speak Spanish, so I'm pretty fucked.
>>
>New Zealand
Would probably arrive in some thick bush, or swamp. Attempt to make my way out, maybe eventually i would find an opening where a tribe had settled, then immediately get spotted by vicious natives and slaughtered, or made a slave.
>>
>wake up
>break my legs and ribs from a 10 meter fall
But seriously though
>wake up a few km north of Lima
>walk down to Lima
>learn early modern spanish with the indios
>become a merchant or something
>centuries down the line descendants become wealthy elite in the republic
>>
>>2757334
>Jake the Mus will personally gut an eat you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZSv4HlyfIo
>>
>Skopje in 1717

I actually have no idea what l'd be up against. Oppressive Turks, most likely.

And l'd like to get as far away from that shithole as possible, so no change in that regard.
>>
File: 1491426261488.jpg (33KB, 800x630px) Image search: [Google]
1491426261488.jpg
33KB, 800x630px
>Zagreb 1717

literally nuffin here
>>
>>2757418
Split 1717, I'm >>2757315
>>
>>2757418
Zagreb in Croatia? It's been there near forever.
>>
>>2757431
I meant literally nothing interesting, I'd probably learn Hungarian desu
>>
File: IMG_0965.jpg (90KB, 384x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0965.jpg
90KB, 384x480px
>>2757001
When a mommy and a daddy REALLY love each other...
>>2757017
In all honesty...as much as I love my white friends, I'd become the founder of the 1st Imperial Navajo dynasty and enslave all non-redmen.
>>
File: shadowrun_north_america.jpg (152KB, 819x567px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun_north_america.jpg
152KB, 819x567px
>>2757436
Have you ever played a game called Shadowrun?
>>
>>2756526
>cross Australia on foot, then navigate the ocean on a raft
Yes, you're proper fucked!
>>
File: IMG_0917.gif (940KB, 627x502px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0917.gif
940KB, 627x502px
>>2757440
>>
I live close to Madrid in one of the old hunting hubs for the kings.There is probably some work there as labourer.Then I could become a tutor and given how many important ministers spent time there I could probaly try to move to the city itself and even try to become an advisor with my knowledge.If the plan doesn't work I will just move to America and get a harem of native qts in Paraguay or something
>>
>>2756248
>Currently in the Arse end of Wales on a uni trip
Go to the local pub i guess and then get the fuck out of dodge because I imagine no one spoke English in Wales back then
Or I could find a mine and try get hired as a foreman, I'm a geology student so I could probably increase production 10fold
>>
>>2757445
Heh, it's a game where, around the turn of the century, "magic" came back to the world, and since the injuns had been practicing those rituals for so long, all the immortal native spirits from the previous magical age sided with them, and they kinda took back most of the US (after a recurrence of "The Great Ghost Dance").

D&D + Cyberpunk + Shamans, basically. Originally a tabletop RPG, has several game offshoots.

Sadly, the alt-history was written by some white kids in Seattle in the early 90's, and thus not quite as "plausible" (or fun) as it could have been, though I suppose some of the darker, non-magical bits, did actually come to pass:
http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowrun_timeline
>>
>>2757452
Yeah, or you could play it smart, you got silver, you could become James Hutton, just earlier.
>>
>>2756248
I will proceed to join the army to fight for my country and i will try to somehow save the king from dying
>>
>>2757450
>Truly we do not live as Christians but worse than those of Sodom, because after we arrived in this land we tried to have women of the Indians so color that we want them for service and the Indians gave them to us as women.

>Thus we receive them from them by calling them women and their parents-in-law and brothers and relatives in law, with much shamelessness and little fear of God and in scandal of the Christian people. And we are not content to imitate the sect of Muhammad and his Koran which commanded that they might have seven wives, and there are some among us who are twenty and thirty and forty and thereafter up to sixty.
Definitly moving to Paraguay
>>
>>2757171
Joke's on you, I live on the ground floor. At worst I'm in a small forest, or in a field.

>>2757199
Probably, yeah. Paris was an open city at the time, there were no fortifications, and I have more than enough money to pay any kind of poll tax.
>>
>>2756248
>Appalachian mountains, north carolina
Hope the tribes in the area are friendly, try and make my way to Jamestown if possible. Or get eaten by wolves, whichever comes first.
>>
>>2756502
That was the scanian war 1675-1679
In 1717 Scania was loyal to Sweden
Why are you on this board if you dont even know your own history?
>>
I think im sleeping in the hall of some rich dude, and if not ill still survive, I'd prolly find a job as sailor shipping grain in the baltic, die an early death circa 30 years old. I'm fine with that, I'm mainly not considering suicide because I love seeing history develop and dont want to hurt my senpai.
>>
File: squidward.jpg (50KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
squidward.jpg
50KB, 599x449px
I"M SURROUNDED BY INJUN
>>
>Las Vegas Valley
SCALPED
>>
File: fluiddruid.jpg (111KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
fluiddruid.jpg
111KB, 1024x768px
>>2757452
You hit the fucking jackpot anon!
>white man in injun land
>bag of silver
>knowledge of geology
>at a time where coal and ore deposits became highly valuable in the UK
What are you waiting for? Get rich like Croesus have wifes and mistresses all looking like young miss Jones by the dozen!
>>
>>2757494
/pol/
>>
>Slightly outside of Trondheim in then Denmark-Norway
I should be fine, I'd say. I'll probably take a ship down to Hamburg or something like that.
>>
>>2756790
People living outside of the original colonies deserve it. I'd take the two day walk to Boston and then decide how to proceed. If I love long enough I can bully some of the founding fathers. Maybe try to get into Harvard
>>
If be in 1717 Zimbabwe,my Shona is decent but I lack any real hunting skills and the nearest settlement is about 30 Km away,I'm fucked but I guess I start te trek and try to use the knife as a survival tool,maybe find some Portuguese traders to bargain with for hut materials and cattle,start a family and attempt to introduce writing and recording with the locals
>>
>>2757563
>maybe find some Portuguese traders to bargain with for hut materials and cattle
>trusting whitey
U GON GET ENSLAVED
>>
Who /rapedbynatives/ here?
>>
>>2757563
>Approaching portuguese

Po' lil black boi
>>
>>2757518
One thing I should probably worry about is the _2_ great fires happening in Trondheim that year.
>>
>>2756878
No, anon, not where you are in your weeb wet dreams, where you actually are now
>>
File: sucks.png (58KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
sucks.png
58KB, 200x200px
>>2757569
>Switzerland
>still don't get laid
>>
>>2757567
The Rozvi/mutapa would enslave and sell me just as fast if I go them speaking there language all fucked up,fuck I think I'm dead in the first week either way
>>
Assuming I don't wake up in Boston harbor, I'll head downtown, do my best to impress the locals & convince them of my desire to convert to Puritanism, and spend the rest of my life subtly trying to enrich myself enormously and change history to my advantage. If I'm lucky, I'll live to see the Revolution and party with Ben Franklin.
Waking up in 1717 Boston sounds supremely comfy desu.
My hometown of Taunton works well too, it was well-established by then.
>>
>>2757554
Hello, fellow yankee. Where are you? Lowell or something?
>>
I'm in the pine barrens and I'm not sure if there are any settlements here yet, so I'll probably be half killed by mosquitos then eaten by natives.
>>
>Wake up 60 years before revolution.
>Use bag of silver to buy myself a plantation or a farm.
>Be rich
>Enjoy life
>Meet Washington
>Tell him about his destiny
>He is too arrogant
>He dies in battle
>America becomes corrupt shithole
>>
>>2756812
Hey. At least you know you're gonna die. I've got more than five hundred miles from San Francisco to Mexico City. Oh and I slept at my girlfriends place in Marin last night so... Extra 75 miles out of the way because no golden gate bridge. Or any of the other bridges that span the bay for that matter. The only thing I've got going for me is the abundance of streams that still exist.
>>
The only existing settlement I can think of near me at that time would be Detroit, 50 miles away. Not sure how to get there without road signs. There is a river near by I could possibly follow and maybe I'd run into some fur traders along the way, but, alas, I do not speak french :,^) Thanks anon.
>>
meet up with Ben Franklin.

start up a shop that makes muzzles loading rifles.

secretly develop the percussion cap, minie ball, flash paper, and falling block breech loading action.

introduce proper hygiene, sanitation, and some basic medicine.

die a rich land owner in northern Georgia colony. my children will know where to find gold and become even richer.

make sure the second amendment of the constitution reads "People have the right to purchase, fabricate, keep, and bear all arms and ordnance. Neither the Federal or lower governments may infringe upon this right."
>>
I will probably run into a tribe of natives or get killed by a animal. My chances are slim to none.
>>
>>2757666
Swim it. I believe in you.
>>
>>2756248
>Twin Cities
>Miles from the nearest French outpost
>No clue where it is
>Speak a bit of French
>Find natives
>Try to ask for help
>Arrow to the head
>Die

C'est la vie
>>
File: jmk.jpg (44KB, 305x363px) Image search: [Google]
jmk.jpg
44KB, 305x363px
Make sure I watch the Water Music concert on the Thames. Predict the South Sea Bubble crash and publish some seminal works of economic thought. Become a public intellectual and polymath. Predict and explain the industrial revolution and then write how it can happen without screwing everything up for (almost) everyone. Preempt liberal-freetrade theories before they develop and expose them for the nonsense they are.

Personally find John Law and punch him in the face, call him an unscrupulous rascal. Predict the Mississippi bubble, and explain to the French state how they had been played. Hopefully avert the crisis and have that Scottish bastard exiled.

Mooch around Parisian salons, find young Voltaire and then in conversation casually quip, "Ce corps qui s'appelait et qui s'appelle encore le saint empire romain n'Ć©tait en aucune maniĆØre ni saint, ni romain, ni empire".. Hang around with Cantillon.. become a professor..

I would ofc like to find a french qt also.
>>
>>2756248
>Deep South Texas
I'd have to travel around 30 miles on foot to find a Spanish settlement or I'd be lucky and find a wealthy Spanish ranch family nearby.
>>
File: 1485372222451.jpg (38KB, 716x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485372222451.jpg
38KB, 716x720px
I'd have a pretty good time hanging out in colonial Rhode Island, maybe I'd become a British sailor and travel to the West Indies or something. Or I could become the first Catholic priest in Rhode Island, as the colony of Rhode Island had a religious freedom clause.
>>
File: ;____;.jpg (70KB, 597x519px) Image search: [Google]
;____;.jpg
70KB, 597x519px
>when I'm posting this from inside a plane
>>
>>2757720
Now I at least know who's behind the
>
>
>
posts.
>>
I'm in western canada so I probably die from injuns, animals or exposure
>>
>>2757147
Paris looks way better back then than it does today
>>
>>2757735
>1717
>Cuckolic
Sad
>>
>>2756547
Me too. Sedalia? Lone Jack?
>>
File: 0aJJ9Lz.png (612KB, 1075x838px) Image search: [Google]
0aJJ9Lz.png
612KB, 1075x838px
Warsaw, Poland

>1717

Pretty great, as much as XVIIIth century was a nightmare for Poland next 15 years are going to be a period of peace and growth. I'll be looking to emigrate to UK and later USA.
>>
>>2757884
(if I'll live till that time, but being able to see American revolution with my own eyes would be worth anything)
>>
>>2756848
>anywhere in Slovakia, in any time period, "wealthiest part of the monarchy"
topkek
>Carlsbad
>go where the hot springs are
>buy them all
>start all the spas and own the city within my lifetime
>use knowledge of local coal, iron, etc. in the area as well
>start local industrial revolution, turning the region into my family-run country
>influence politics and world around you from a perfectly safe position in middle Europě
God, if only.
>>
>>2757934
1717 there where already spas in Carlsbad. And the Industrial Revolution started with water power and textile engines.
>>
>>2756248
Born in Ottoman empire, what is today Serbia. Use silver to buy shitton of pigs and breed them, since t*rks dont eat them. Trade those godly creatures to Austrians. Marry a strong peasant woman. Life is good.
>>
I live in Gothenburg but I'm probably outside of what would be the actual town/city at the time. I would be pretty much safe from the great northern war as long as I didn't get dragged off somewhere (can't quite say the same for people on the eastern coast of Sweden, where the Russians raided). I'd probably just try to survive and make a life.
>>
I live in modern day italian Piedmont region, that in 1717 was the Duchy of Savoy.

Dunno man, honestly. I'd probably look for Turin and try my luck there
>>
>>2756248
>"the drop, what about the drop?!?"
What drop? I'm in fucking space, the Earth is millions of kilometers away, what am I supposed to do with a fucking flint and silver, craft a space suit?!
>>
>>2757957
There were few, and small ones, owned vy people with no grand plans and without knowledge. Just look at Mattoni and it's value, and so on.
Carlsbad is like a golden mine during this time - you have the infratructure, position, people and space. It's almost perfect.
I meant serious industries using coal - of which there still is a lot in the area, high quality.
>>
>>2757720
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.
Would totally want to hang out with
>>
>>2758200
He is French, you are aware of that?
>>
>>2758200
...holy fuck...that was the most Reddit shit I've seen all day...get the fuck out of here
>>
>>2758197
coal is not the main ingredient for the industrial revolution, and with the ferrous metals metallurgy and industry of central Europe at the time it would be next to impossible to build something useful. Water power and textile engines on the other hand are feasible and will bring a huge profit.
>>
>Boulder, CO

Hopefully the Indians take me in? Probably scalp and rape my corpse
>>
File: 6259413380_ef7be4e8fe_b.jpg (401KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
6259413380_ef7be4e8fe_b.jpg
401KB, 1024x680px
>>2756248

>1717
>Kentucky
>Those clothes
>No horse
>No longrifle

>Utterly fucked. I'd be scalped within two days flat by Shawnee.
>>
>>2756248
I'm in the outskirts of Moscow, and Peter is having a fun time up north with the Swedes. I think I'll be fine. Don't know if I can change the world or anything, but I could become a scientist or inventor.
>>
>>2758222
Same bro
>>
>>2756248
I'm about 5km away from the old part of AsunciĆ³n, so i guess i'm pretty safe. I'd take the first ship to Buenos Aires and then the first one to Spain because colonial south america it's pretty much the most boring time and place i can imagine.
>>
>>2758415
But why Spain?
>>
>>2758159
I have family near Asti. Where are you?
>>
File: smallpox.png (204KB, 380x356px) Image search: [Google]
smallpox.png
204KB, 380x356px
*kills you*
>>
>>2756248
I'd be in the middle of the woods in the eastern U.S. unless I can find an Indian tribe that is willing to take in an oriental, I'm dead because I lack survival skills.
>>
>>2758101
>not joining the army in defense of the fatherland
>>
>>2756248
>western Missouri
I'll probably die of starvation without ever seeing another man. I might be killed by Indians or by a wandering trapper when he realizes I'm unarmed and carrying a lot of silver.
>>
>>2758619
*gives vaccine*
nothing personal... virus
>>
>southern switzerland in 1717
I dont even speak the local dialect and actual italian hasn't been invented yet. But with all that silver im probably the richest person in a 3 days of travel range. Buy a farm I guess
>>
File: 1324264418523.jpg (14KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1324264418523.jpg
14KB, 320x240px
>>2756248

>3 years before my state was colonized

Fall in with some Indians and hope I don't get scalped, I guess. Also hope and pray that at least one Indian I meet has learned some English.
>>
>>2756248
>the drop, what about the drop?!

Wtf are people sperging about now? I want to know.
>>
I'm in the middle of tropical rainforest, and die because I don't know how to direct myself and walk to the coast and search for the closest village.
>>2758966
They're in apartments, retard. If they are on the same spot they'll fall and die.
>>
>>2758980
Oh I see. See i have a house so i dont have those problems.
>>
>>2758619
Go sleep in a barn with some cows for a few weeks.
>>
>>2757293

>I can head southeast to New Orleans

I'm here waiting for you because the city won't be founded for another year (May 1718).

Hunker down, hope one of the Frenchmen know English, and hope I don't die from Yellow Fever or Smallpox.

Attempt to get to whatever civilization exists, practice rudimentary medical arts (vaccines, aseptic medicine, etc.), and write lots and lots of shit for the future.
>>
>>2758985
Technically speaking, everyone will have problems, see here >>2758182, the ultimate sperg.
>>
>>2756248
I'd be in the vicinity of Los Angeles, well before the Spanish actually set up a mission there. Assuming that the period clothing I'm given is European in fashion, I would look strange to the Native Americans of the region, but I would also look strange even attired like a Native, as I am of European origins. If I could get to become on friendly terms with the Natives, I would likely be able to live somewhat more easily, than living solitarily. I hope I would not get killed.
>>
File: john rutherford.jpg (33KB, 410x550px) Image search: [Google]
john rutherford.jpg
33KB, 410x550px
I wake up in New Zealand 50 years before Cook's first voyage, and the first white people don't get to my region until about 1820.
There'd be around 1000 people living in about a dozen pa within 10km of where I'd be, the closest being about 1km away. At this time the local iwi were in a state of almost constant war, fighting amongst themselves and other tribes pushing up from the south and the north east.
I have no practical skills and know only a handful of words in te reo maori.
The silver might have some worth as a novelty, the flint & steel would be useful and the knife would be the most advanced piece of technology for 1000s of kilometres.They would likely end up in the possession of a chief after he's had me for lunch.
>>
>>2756248
Eated by a alligator.
>>
>>2759083
Exo-cannibalism is a bitch! Kiwis are royally fucked.
>>
>Central florida
Just grab a gun, a knife, and sime camping materials and try to find some spanish settlement
Sense in of spanish desent and k ow spanish i ahouls be fine
The i just give all my modern gun knowledge to a gunsmith and watch the shitshow that unfolds
>>
>>2759597
Holy fuck i made so many spelling errors
I should go to sleep
>>
>>2759597
You don't have a gun, you do have a small knife tho plus some real fancy pants. See OP for details.
>>2759602
If you are tired, yes. If you are just drunk, fuck no, welcome to the club hombre!
>>
>western Montana nearly 100 years before Lewis and Clark come through

I'm fucked. Were there even French fur traders out here then?
>>
I'm in Northwestern Kentucky. I will be scalped in no fucking time.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (100KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
100KB, 1920x1080px
I'm screwed I'll probably make friends with the native Americans and prepare a hindinberg line type of defense so the colonists don't destroy the natives
>>
>>2759663
Probably no French fur traders, or any other European travelers, for that matter. At most, there may have been very few isolated cases of Europeans traveling far west, at that time. If you are able to, head east, young man, and grow old to see the American Revolution, or head southwest to see the founding of Los Angeles by that time period. If you wish to stay in Montana, be very friendly with the Natives, should you encounter any.
>>
>>2759650
>sell knowledge of easy to make guns that don't require industry
>make massive profit
>use this influence to some how pull an audience with the king from my ass
>warn him about all the crazy shit that spain will go through
>tell him about the danger of britian
>warn him of the industrial revolution
>pass down all of my knowledge of future tech and important places with tons of resources
Would spain some how fuck it up?
>>
>>2759663
>>2759693
Fuck it
Do a Lewis and clark
Map out the entirety of the west and sell it to the highest bidder
>>
>>2758735
Caroleans might sound cool but I'd rather not go starve, freeze and possibly die or be permanently crippled for little purpose.
>>
>>2756248
> lives in the middle of bum fuck no where Saskatchewan
> get lost while trying to make my way to any euro colony I can find
> get scalped by indians

fuck
>>
>>2756248
Hmm... Well my city was a relatively prosperous industrial centre, but was pretty backward by the standards of the time. I might move to a larger more cosmopolitan city. But in any case I would probably want to deposit my money in a bank before acquiring some form of identification. I don't want to be robbed after all. That money is my main advantage here. After that find some accommodation and temporary employment asap, get some stability and income

This will buy time to make plans and write down all the future knowledge i can remember, which isnā€™t much admittedly. Hopefully I can remember something useful like gun tech similar. Iā€™d try to use such knowledge to gain enough income to live comfortably but I suppose buying into some local business or purchasing one to improve with future tech is the best I can hope for given my situation.

I am a 21st century educated white man in 1717 England. So I should have some leverage to squeeze a somewhat wealthy life out of this situation. If Iā€™m not robbed and die penniless on the streets first obviously.
>>
>>2757569
Yep
>>
>>2760042
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=7&lat=53.3701&lon=-1.7863&layers=176&b=1
if anyone lives in england this website shows old maps overlaid on current ones. mostly 1890 -1900 but may give some ideas
>>
File: 1489291936975.jpg (150KB, 731x630px) Image search: [Google]
1489291936975.jpg
150KB, 731x630px
>>2756248
I'm laying naked on my bed in Las Vegas. So am I just going to wake up in the middle of the desert naked?
>>
How were asians seen in germany at the time?
>tfw I'll become some sort of town peculiarity.
>>
File: IMG_3444.jpg (354KB, 1040x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3444.jpg
354KB, 1040x1500px
>>2760544
Well, the first East Asian to set foot in western Europe did it in 1615, a Japanese envoy sent by Date Masamune, Hasekura Tsunenaga. There had been multiple Siamese embassies to France. A few Chinese travelers came over, in particular pic related, Michael Alphonsius Shen Fu-Tsung, in 1685. At the time most of the elites were fascinated by East Asia, with Chinese porcelain and Japanese lacquerware being highly sought after, for example. It's also easy to speculate that some Portuguese, Spanish, or Dutch merchants took back some Filipino, Indian or Indonesian slaves home.

So you'd be a bit of a curiosity for sure, but it's not like people wouldn't know what Asia is, and depending on the shade of Asian you are, you might be highly sought after. Just invent yourself a fancy backstory and the courts of Europe will fight to see you. Some guy somehow managed to convince people he was a Formosan native despite being French, and people flocked to him, so you shouldn't have any problem finding people interested in you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Psalmanazar
>>
>>2760695
Reminds me of the Princess Caraboo story lol..
>>
>>2760695
>Well, the first East Asian to set foot in western Europe
There were Chinese embassies to the Roman empire.
>>
>>2756248
I get cannibalized by native americans. : (
>>
im in a swamp in florida, 5 min from the west coast.
>contract malaria and die.
>>
>>2760924
Not to far from calos actually
>CONTACT DOUBLE MALARIA
>>
>>2756248
I'm a half Czech/half New England Colonist residing in the northern Netherlands. Off to The Thirteen Colonies with me. I could try to teach myself necessary combat and survival skills, and eventually become a mercenary or something.
>>
>Manchester 1717
>be Italian-German
Fuck it I'll take a coach to the south and be an accountant's apprentice or something and get rich and get an estate
>>
>>2756248
I'm a woman, not too many options here. Probably go full degenerate and start a brothel. Manhattan though, not bad.

If I could be a guy too then I'd probably try to invent all kinds of shit. I have a master's in mechanical engineering so I'd put that to use, make a fortune and start the Industrial Revolution. Also try to get penicillin happening with the real biologists of the day.
>>
>>2761000
All you'd need then is a husband to disseminate your ideas.
>>
>>2761015
That was my first thought, but how exactly would someone find respectable husband as a loner with no social status? Some people back then might have actually believed I was a witch. I suppose the silver could be a decent dowry, though.
>>
>>2758619
>he isn't vaccinated

lad...
>>
What i learned from this thread is that there is a lot of florida anons
Maybe we should form a secret order and try to get into the upper rings of the spanish crown
>>
>>2761045
u mean caloosa indians, mose of the spanish missions dident last long. 1717 is during the spanish english war. which reached far down into souther florida, but not possibly in the swamps. and my whole area was a swamp not 60 years ago.
>>
>>2761028
You'd obviously give off the impression of being an educated women. Definitely more educated than some of your contemporaries. IDK, maybe shack up somewhere in Paris and mingle with the intellectuals of the era and work from there. A lot of the religiosity you're worried about is probably absent in many of the western European capitals. Accusations of Plagiarism would be a bigger concern.

Again, a lot of this is time dependent. I'm studying bachelor in Industrial Engineering. A lot of the algorithms and techniques that I've been taught so far are founded upon a bedrock of prior knowledge. Having to first write down these fundamental building blocks and the publish them would eat time like nothing else. Same with ya. Yeah, two editions of PhilosophiƦ Naturalis Principia Mathematica (and yes, I looked this up on Wikipedia) have already been published. But, I'd imagine that your work would be significantly more complicated without widespread acceptance of more advanced calculus. Hence why my plan (>>2760990) is to fuck off to the colonies.
>>
How come we don't have any Jews and Turks on this board?
>>
>>2761000
>>2761028
Tits or GTFO you overeducated attention and literal whore.

>>2761056
And you stop white knighting for bitches online.
>>
Helsinki during the Great Northern War. Within the 1717 city limits even. Occupying russian forces probably take my money, but I could try to hide in a small cottage in the woods or something. Nominally a civilian governor would come to rule in one month but that's not going to be much help to my bag of silver.
>>
Pre-colonial Australia.
Bag of silver is fucking useless.
Might as well use the knife to slit my own throat
>>
>>2761156
Can't you just hide your silver?
>>
>>2761152
Kek. Literally couldn't give a fuck about her. I'm just bored with nothing else to do.
>>
I wake up around 30 minutes outside Stockholm, most likely on some farmland or other.
Maybe I'd get drafted into the army and die of some sickness, otherwise since I have no actual era appropriate skills I might try to use my money to commission and work out some way to make and sell modern day tech. The kind of stuff that is kinda obvious to us but might not have been back then.

I wonder if a Ford style factory would work in the 1700s. Would there even be a market for that kind of mass production outside maybe the military?
>>
>>2761166
Maybe if it stays hidden for the remainder of the war, five years or so. After that I could use it to fuck off to Sweden or even northern Germany, as I can speak some modern swedish and german. I'd buy stuff and sell it, becoming a merchant.
>>
Wake up in South-West Germany, on the outskirts of a prosperous town. Well I can't drink the water (don't want to get dysentry on my first day), so might as well hit the nearest tavern, get drunk with a bunch of new bros, who find my accent hilarious, wake up massivly hungover, money gone...only way of survival is to do back-breaking work in the mines...die a few years later when the mine collapses

fml
>>
>>2761398
You are welcome to work as a wage slave in my thriving textile factory. The dust will kill you just as fast, but at least you are not below ground.
>>
>>2761034
I'm one of maybe six people on this board old enough to be vaccinated for smallpox, and I'm fairly certain I never got a booster shot for it.
>>
>>2756248
I'm in Limerick Ireland so probably fighting those orange bastards.
>>
>be me
>sd 1715
> go to local mission
>become priest
>pull a miguel hidalgo on esos pinche gachupines de mierda
>>
>>2761152
Fuck off with the shitposting, being a girl is relevant information. I don't think you know what a white knight is either. Learn the rules or go back to /r/eddit.
>>
>>2761056
I get that it would be extremely tedious to record everything you've learned since grade school, but you'd still have way better scientific understanding than people at the time. Out of curiosity, why would you want to rough it in the colonies instead of living a relatively comfy scientific life?
>>
>>2763302
If I were to hazard a guess, it's because they were generally quite a bit safer, excepting the frontier regions. I'd rather live in Boston, Charleston, or Philadelphia than in Paris or London.
>>
>>2756910
>>2760990

>Netherlands
>Not drowning immediately
>>
>>2763270
>He doesn't link >>>/r/eddit
Newfags KYS
>>
>>2763412
It's 1717 most land is reclaimed now
>>
>1717
>Los Angeles
>El Pueblo and Spanish prescence not here for another 80 years
I'm a deadman. Indios find me with silver and I can only speak European languages. I'm a deadman for sure.
Thread posts: 233
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.