[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were there black people in Ancient Greece or Rome? If so, what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15

File: ancient greek art.png (638KB, 722x692px) Image search: [Google]
ancient greek art.png
638KB, 722x692px
Were there black people in Ancient Greece or Rome? If so, what did they say about them? What role did they play in society? Were they accepted as Romans?
>>
black nigger brigade black nigger brigade
i fought with them when I tried to get laid
>>
File: caracalla-british-muesum.jpg (19KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
caracalla-british-muesum.jpg
19KB, 225x225px
Lucius Septimius Bassianus (April 4, 188 – April 8, 217), commonly known as Caracalla, was a Black Roman Emperor who ruled from 211 to 217.

Caracalla was the eldest son of Septimius Severus, the first black African-born Emperor of Rome. But before Septimius Severus, there had been other Roman-born black Emperors of Rome. This story of the other black emperors of Rome will be explored in another write-up, but for now we focus on Caracalla.

Unlike his father Septimius Severus, Caracalla was born and raised in Italy. After the death of his father, he ruled jointly with his younger brother Geta until the latter’s death in 211.

Caracalla’s reign was notable for the Constitutio Antoniniana, granting Roman citizenship to freemen throughout the Roman Empire. That act laid a foundation for a peaceful multi-ethnic, multi-cultural Empire that Rome was to become.
>>
File: henry-2.jpg (96KB, 411x865px) Image search: [Google]
henry-2.jpg
96KB, 411x865px
Very Rare image of Henry II (972-1024) King of Italy and Germany also Holy Roman Emperor during the time of the Ottonian Dynasty. From the Sacramentary of Henry II (1002 -1014). Undeniable proof of so called black presence throughout Europe.
>>
>>2755715
Is the Nigger Internet Defense Force here again?
>>
>>2755718
>Undeniable proof
Is this literally the ONLY example of eastern iconography you've ever seen? You're retarded.

Also, sage.
>>
File: civilization.png (49KB, 506x450px) Image search: [Google]
civilization.png
49KB, 506x450px
>>2755715
This makes sense. It's probably why they have African DNA.
>>
File: people of luxor.jpg (73KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
people of luxor.jpg
73KB, 800x536px
"Black" is a modern classification that isn't really useful historically.

Greeks were aware of Ethiopians and Nubians and the Romans interacted with them more personally, but the whether you would consider pic related to be "black" is another debate entirely.
>What role did they play in society?
What does that mean? There were probably very few of them considering the distance and how Ethiopia was often hostile to Rome, they probably occupied roles like traders and diplomats like members of other far off peoples.
>Were they accepted as Romans?
After the Antonine Constitution in 212 AD the peoples of upper Egypt (Nubians) would be legally Roman yeah. In the 6th century at least Upper Egyptians were derided as being Isis worshippers, so if there was any hostility to them it was probably on religious grounds.
>>
>>2755708
Very few, usually bought as slavey from Nubia or Ethiopia.

They didn't bother anyone, most Romans just saw them as weird couriousities. Some rich patricians liked to own the as status symbols, so they were treated well.

There are some recorded instances of black slaves cuckolding their masters. However Romans believed on 'maternal inprinting' : that if you look at stuff a lot during pregnancy it will affect your baby's look. This is how they explained some brown babies being born to the wives of rich Romans. "Oh she was just looking at that black slave while pregnant so the baby's skin became darker too, no big deal."
>>
>>2755723
>>2755728
The thread only had 2 unique IDs when these posts were up so it's either OP or >>2755713 trying to stir up trouble.
>>
>>2755715
kek
>>
File: 800px-Altes_Museum-Memnon.jpg (138KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Altes_Museum-Memnon.jpg
138KB, 800x1067px
>>2755708
Without all the WE WUZ and /pol/ around, /his/ could really be a place of discussion.
I know of one verifiable instance of a man with Sub-Saharan features having some kind of social position in ancient Greece, and that would Memnon (pic related), foster child of Herodes Atticus, 2nd century AD Greek philosopher.
>>
>>2755708
WE
>>
>HEY GUYS DID BLACKS DO/LIVE IN [INSERT ANCIENT THING HERE]??!?!?
>HEY GUYS WERE [INSERT ANCIENT PEOPLE HERE] WHITE?!?!?!?!?!
>BLACK WHITE BLACK WHITE BLACK WHITE BLACK WHITE BLACK WHITE

FUCK OFF ALREADY
>>
>>2755708
>Were there black people in Ancient Greece or Rome?

Yes.

>what did they say about them?

Great things. They described them as civilized and on the contrast would refer to Germans and Britons as barbaric cruel monsters.

>What role did they play in society?

One of their major roles was Architecture. Especially in Rome, a lot of the greatest pieces of architecture we worship today was designed by Nubian or other black ethnicities. Not even making this up, nearly every successful African did it, they even had white slaves to do it for them.

>Were they accepted as Romans?

If they assimilated, yes. That's why so many Italians have African DNA. It's a tricky question though because some definitely wouldn't accept any non-Med as a Roman.
>>
>>2755734
>1 post from this id
>>
>>2755708
/his/ should ban the word race, seriously.
>>
File: Roman Drinking Jug.jpg (20KB, 534x534px) Image search: [Google]
Roman Drinking Jug.jpg
20KB, 534x534px
>>2755708

Not many, but almost all their achievements were borrowed from Egyptians. Read Black Athena, I saw Chomsky recommend it on his reading list, I thought it was gonna be a "WE" book but it ended up being informative. The Romans/Greeks really did hijack a lot of shit.

They mostly copied the so-called “Hellenistic” and Egyptian high cultures. Yes, Rome may have conquered physically but she was conquered culturally. I will show you why.

The religion of the Romans, their gods, their rites originally came from Egypt. There were 5000 year old Egyptian equivalents of Roman gods, 5000 years before Rome was built.

The cultural centre of the Roman Empire was Egypt, specifically Alexandria. There one had the books, the rites, the tradition and the ancient mystery disciplines that had been honned and developed thousands of years before Rome. Up till this day, the arts and sciences encapsulated in those books, are fundamental to the successful construction and sustanance of any human society.
>>
>>2755715
>That act laid a foundation for a peaceful multi-ethnic, multi-cultural Empire that Rome was to become.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

the first time a black guy gets in he is the reason Rome aimed for equality. why are white people so naturally evil?
>>
>>2755771
>Read Black Athena
fuck off
>>
>>2755718
Holy shit. Not even WE WUZing but that guy looks black to me.
>>
>>2755758
thanks for this. I came for the memes but this was actually insightful.
>>
>>2755715
WE
>>
WUZ
>>
>>2755708
the Romans n Greeks were originally black but white people painted em white to cover it up

thats why all the statues are pitch white
>>
>>2755751
this is actually a statue of herodes atticus but white people covered it up and said it was his son
>>
A reminder that Andromeda was Ethiopian. Then again, Ethiopians aren't black.
>>
>>2755715
Right friend let me fill you in on a little secret at the time of its Roman occupation the province of Afica was Phoenician so not black and that is were his father was born does he look black to you?
>>
>>2755910
Dude, the statue looks like a black dude. See also pic related, a bronze oil Lamp from somewhere between 1st Century BC/AD.

There's a middle ground between wewuz and there being literally no blacks until slavery.
>>
>>2755758
>One of their major roles was Architecture. Especially in Rome, a lot of the greatest pieces of architecture we worship today was designed by Nubian or other black ethnicities. Not even making this up, nearly every successful African did it, they even had white slaves to do it for them.

This kills the Italian
>>
File: ojr3xjNAZz1rgfuxjo1_1280.jpg (76KB, 581x800px) Image search: [Google]
ojr3xjNAZz1rgfuxjo1_1280.jpg
76KB, 581x800px
>>2755938
the pic
>>
>>2755938
>>2755940
We know for a fact that Septimius Severus was half Italian and half Libyan. Trying to claim he was black is top tier wewuzzery.

This is besides the fact that talking about people being "black" in ancient times is fucking stupid since it's a recent racial classification. A Nubian and an Axumite wouldn't have possessed any sense of commonality with each other based on the colour of their skin. Plus, when we think of "black" people today we mostly think of West Africans, and West Africa was totally unknown to the ancient Mediterranean world.
>>
>>2755758
>WE

Ridiculous post.
>>
Yes, the Nile led straight to Axum (Ethiopia) which for the Romans was a source of animals for the arena among other things. Rome did not have the means to project power into Axum so it was never part of the Empire or a major source of slaves, though a number of merchants and couriers would have travelled to Rome and other cosmopolitan trading hubs around the Mediterranean. Its contact with Rome was such that it was christianized within decades of the Edict of Milan. After the Islamic invasions they almost totally lost contact with the rest of christendom until the age of exploration.
>>
>>2755954
Statue is a black dude though
>>
>>2755718
>what is paint aging
>>
>>2756017
>caucasian skull
>caucasian nose
>small lips
>black
Fuck off back to congo, slave nigger.
>>
>>2756038
>>2755940
look again
>>
>>2755757
>Did X population exist in [ancient region]?

This should normally be a legitimate question.
It gets derailed and shitposted to death, but it would be an interesting topic.
>>
>>2755708

No. Rome was a Nordic civilization. They didn't stand non-whites whatsoever.
>>
>>2755771
Black Athena is an absolutely shit book filled with shit research. Seriously, unlearn everything you learned from it.
>>
>>2755715
Kek he was North African not black
>>
>>2755708
Ethiopians traded and traveled through Egypt into Greece and Italy so yes. They'd mainly be traders, mercenaries and slaves.
>>
>>2755708
The Aksumites (ethiopians) had diplomatic relations with the Byzantines
>>
File: nubian.jpg (467KB, 1253x1536px) Image search: [Google]
nubian.jpg
467KB, 1253x1536px
>>2756042
Just because there's a statue of a nubian, doesnt mean they were roman.
>>
>>2756171
He wasn't even north african, he was half syrian and half french, if you impose modern borders on the roman empire at the time.
>>
>>2755708
Rome, maybe. Rome lasted over a thousand years, and at one point in time, the empire of Axum (modern ethiopia) was seen as one of the great superpowers of the world, next to the caliphate, the roman empire, and china.
>>
>>2755729
some clustering algorithm occasionally used by genetic anthropologists based on hardly reliable bayesian statistics assigned 2% of our DNA(most of which is probably non coding anyway) as being more likely pan sub-saharan than west Eurasian

clearly that's an absolute undeniable hard fact.
>>
>>2755771
No shit Chomsky is so intellectually hollow if he recommends Black Athena.

Alexandria was a cultural center of Roman Empire? Really anon?
>>
>>2755771
>Alexandria.
A Greek city, anon.
>>
>>2756149
>Snowniggers slave claiming superior asian civilization.
gaijin always makes me laugh
>>
>>2756149
>>2757255
Stop with your false dichotomies. Rome was a pan-Mediterranean empire which was centered in the European Italian peninsula. The people weren't Nordic or Black.

Plenty of Germanics lived in the Roman Empire while Blacks might have been the rare curiosity.
>>
>>2755708
the greeks called negroids "ethiopians", which means "burnt face"
>>
>>2755732
Upper Egypt and Nubia are two different things, don't confuse the two

There was and is no difference between upper and lower Egypt
>>
File: Screenshot-2014-03-14-10.04.55.jpg (75KB, 453x285px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-2014-03-14-10.04.55.jpg
75KB, 453x285px
>>2755718
Where is this painting from?

>very rare image
Every painting was unique
>>
>>2755715
>peaceful multi-ethnic, multi-cultural Empire that Rome was to become.
>collapses less that 200 years later

huh
>>
>>2755708
NO
>>
During Nero's reign quite a bit of Rome was black.
>>
File: 1430683375923.gif (3MB, 280x250px) Image search: [Google]
1430683375923.gif
3MB, 280x250px
>>2758811
>>
Rome had some blacks; there's an account of a black soldier being in Britain.

Their whole view on race was that if you were a citizen, you were a citizen, and if not then fuck you.
>>
File: serveimage.png (395KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
395KB, 800x430px
I'd be nice if race was just skin deep.
>>
>>2755771
>Read Black Athena, I saw Chomsky recommend it on his reading list

>>2756162
>>2755771
>>2757000
>>2755783

white kids get so rattled by this book. refute literally anything in it.
>>
>>2759006
Greece took no philosophy from Egypt. Plato only mentions it to give his story an exotic mystique.
>>
>>2759044
I guarantee you that you haven't read it if you're saying that's the whole premise.
>>
>>2759090
I'm not saying that's the whole premise. >>2759006 asked >refute literally anything in it.
And I did.
>>
>>2755771
>>2759006
"Not Out Of Africa: How ""Afrocentrism"" Became An Excuse To Teach Myth As History" refutes everything in it.

https://archive.org/details/Not-Out-Of-Africa

try to refute her. You know what Berthal's counter argument against her book basically was? 'it's ok for Afrocentrist to make up history because when I was a kid I met a French kid and when we were discussing the history between our two countries we came to realize we were taught different narratives of the same events in school. therefor, they should lie to make themselves feel better.".
>>
I can't speak for Greece but I am certain my lecturer mentioned something about people with "black skin" taken as slaves after the Punic wars. Rome being the cultural melting pot that it was, I think black people were probably mundane to Romans living in Rome. I'm sure many lived just as any other Roman would, be it as a citizen or freedman in the employ of someone, as an apprentice of some sort etc.

Also wouldn't be surprised if there was a steady influx of black people into Roman territories after Rome's recruitment of North African soldiers into her armies and subsequent granting of citizenship after decades of service.
>>
>>2759150
>I think black people were probably mundane to Romans living in Rome
Black people lived very far from the Roman Empire
>Also wouldn't be surprised if there was a steady influx of black people into Roman territories after Rome's recruitment of North African soldiers
How? North African aren't Black.
>>
>>2759155
People moved huge distances in the ancient world as part of caravans etc. Plus, North Africa lacking any black people seems to me to be very unlikely for that very reason.
>>
>>2759155
Then why does this man look black?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ITsiNdf3K0
>>
>>2759172
>>2759161
>implying any of the muslims in sweden were there 2000 years ago
there's these things called cheap continental flights, also cars
>>
File: Huni-StatueHead_BrooklynMuseum.png (3MB, 1136x1628px) Image search: [Google]
Huni-StatueHead_BrooklynMuseum.png
3MB, 1136x1628px
>>2759179
But some pharaohs looked like this >>2748770 and pic related
They look blacker than the guy in the video
>>
>>2755733
>There are some recorded instances of black slaves cuckolding their masters. However Romans believed on 'maternal inprinting' : that if you look at stuff a lot during pregnancy it will affect your baby's look. This is how they explained some brown babies being born to the wives of rich Romans. "Oh she was just looking at that black slave while pregnant so the baby's skin became darker too, no big deal."
What the fuck. Post them.
>>
>>2757724
as a result of villas and decentralization you fucking insufferable mong. your type are killing history.
>>
>>2755758

Do you have any proof?
>>
>>2759172
http://eurogenes.blogspot.com/2017/03/ancient-human-dna-at-saa-2017.html

His ancestors probably arrived in Egypt after West Rome fell.
>>
Hey if some or all Egyptians were black, than that's great! I think blacks should go back to their roots. It's wonderful that people want to revere their culture and ancestors in this deracinated world. I'm not sure the claim is true though, but everything is preferable to the universal homogenization and mcdonaldization of all cutlures, races and traditions that the left and the globalists want.
>>
>>2755708
That painting is proof that white women worship nubian queens
>>
>>2759589
literally this
>>
>>2759409
>I think blacks should go back to their roots

uhh
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.