[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

George Washington

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0638.jpg (608KB, 1588x1932px)
IMG_0638.jpg
608KB, 1588x1932px
Was he the Augustus of our generation?
>>
>both are terrible military leaders
perhaps
>>
>>2752163
Not comparable.
>>
>>2752163
More like Cincinattus
>>
>>2752163
1. He isn't of your generation.
2. That would be Putin.
>>
>>2752258
>putin
>like Augustus in any way whatsoever
?????
>>
>>2752233
Cincinatus*

The dude basically was Washington set 2000 years ago
>>
>>2752260
well they're both obsessed with proper traditional families, that's about it
>>
>>2752295
They are both despots
>>
>>2752260
>a perfidious man with military background seizing power in a republic while maintaining a semblance of respect for the democratic principles, and relying on the gullible people
Yeah, nothing at all.
>>
>>2752342
Putin didn't seize power and Augustus wasn't perfidious
>>
>The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism.

>For this you have every inducement of sympathy and interest. Citizens, by birth or choice, of a common country, that country has a right to concentrate your affections. The name of American, which belongs to you in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of patriotism more than any appellation derived from local discriminations. With slight shades of difference, you have the same religion, manners, habits, and political principles. You have in a common cause fought and triumphed together; the independence and liberty you possess are the work of joint counsels, and joint efforts of common dangers, sufferings, and successes.

>Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.

>Against the insidious wiles of foreign influence (I conjure you to believe me, fellow-citizens) the jealousy of a free people ought to be constantly awake, since history and experience prove that foreign influence is one of the most baneful foes of republican government.

>The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is in extending our commercial relations, to have with them as little political connection as possible.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>2752356
He did and he was. Even their rhetoric is similar, and the way they act, like when Putin stepped down for four years because the constitution said so, it was very similar to Augustus's charade with "temporary" authority.
>>
>>2752342
With that you could literally compare anyone with Augustus.
>>
>>2752356
Augustus was autistic
>>
>>2752431
Putin's power base isn't the army, he's very popular in Russia.
And Augustus did nothing wrong
>>
>>2752462
Um... no I can't. Let's take George Washington, he's nothing like that description.
>>
>>2752496
Augustus was popular too, but still they both need army.

>And Augustus did nothing wrong
Then you also must think the same of Putin. As you can see, I didn't say anything about right and wrong, you judge according to your views.
>>
>>2752513
Modern Russia is a much less militarized society than Ancient Rome. The Russian army doesn't go on yearly campaigns and Putin's legitimacy is based on his nationalization of the oil and gas industries and his assertion of independence from Western groups.
>>
>>2752233

This.

If he was the Augustus of our time he'd have continued to wield influence and set America on the path of empire. If we're talking historical parallels to Rome America hasn't had its Augustus yet. The only real comparison you can make were "both were famous figures that became national myths!" and even then Cincinnatus is more appropriate.

You could make a shitty argument for Trump being Julius Caesar in terms of him fitting the populist strongman angle but he's too stupid and incompetent to actually fit the bill. Still, let's see a world where Trump gets murdered in Congress and then Jared Kushner goes head to head with Bannon for supreme control of America.
>>
>>2752269

More like Washington was purposely made out to be a modern Cincinatus.
>>
File: Screenshot_17.png (457KB, 515x625px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_17.png
457KB, 515x625px
>>2752356

>Augustus wasn't perfidious

is this nigga serious?

I love Augustus but his entire road to power was full of treachery, murder and slander. He became a bit better once he was secure in his authority but even then he was a pragmatic dude.
>>
>>2752545

The army was part of Augustus' authority but so was him positioning himself as a defender of Roman values against the degenerate east.
>>
>>2752603
But it was the base of his power. Putin never fought a civil war to establish his hold on power.
>inb4 the Chechen war
>>
>>2752573
For Steve Bannon is an honorable man
>>
>>2752609

Obviously you're going to find some differences, there are no perfectly identical historical parallels. The point I think the anon was making was that if you're looking for a modern Augustus parallel he fits the bill best.
>>
>>2752646
It's still a terrible comparison
He's basically just saying "both are autocrats"
>>
>>2752650

I'm not versed enough on Putin to make it my hill to die on, but these are what he said

>a perfidious man with military background seizing power in a republic while maintaining a semblance of respect for the democratic principles, and relying on the gullible people
>Even their rhetoric is similar, and the way they act, like when Putin stepped down for four years because the constitution said so, it was very similar to Augustus's charade with "temporary" authority.

These fit with Augustus at least. Do they fit with Putin?
>>
>>2752658
Well, from the Anglo-American/ "Western" standpoint, Putin couldn't be an Augustus, because he is perceived as purely an autocrat, without the charade of being an enlightened one.
>>
>>2752658
He didn't seize power and most Russians don't believe he's a fully democratic president
>>
>>2752269
>>2752233
>Cincinatus

Never heard of him. Who was he?
>>
>>2752676

The original "offered absolute power and laid it down to go back to his farm".
>>
>>2752163
No. He was Cincinnatus
>>
>>2752164
fpbp
>>
>>2752342
That could easily describe Washington.
>>
>>2752690

Him not seizing power is LITERALLY his thing.
>>
>>2752698
Well, everything but that.
>>
>>2752690
>seizing power
>washington

Could you elaborate your view? U.S. up to 1918 is one of my weaker areas of study.
>>
>>2752705
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkwZDRB3tZo
>>
>>2752727

I'm immediately concerned about anything that opens with "The Truth About"
>>
>>2752233
This.

FDR was Augustus.
>>
>>2752164
papa goerge wasnt a terrible military leader, he was just mediocre
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.