[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Humans in North America 130,000 years ago

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/mastodons-americas-peopling-migrations-archaeology-science/

Alright so, what now?

Where do we go from here?
>>
Time travelers
>>
>>2750964
>what now?
Handle it with skepticism until the findings are backed up with other research. This a huge claim, and so far, that paper doesn't really make that strong of a case. And this quote sums up why:

>One of the main critiques is that the study doesn’t definitively rule out natural causes for the presence of the purported stone tools, the breakage patterns in the mastodon bones, or the patterns of breakage and wear on their surfaces.

Given what's stated in the study, everything they're talking about could be the result of natural processes. There's certainly nothing linking the bones and rocks to humans; the researchers aren't even claiming that they're talking about a kill or butchering site. Unless there's more proof that hominins could have been around at the time and place to apparently randomly break bones in an ambiguous way, I'm considering the site noncultural.
>>
>>2750964
Ancient aliens
>>
>>2751202
Theres other articles stating that the bones were spiral fractured and they tested a method with stone tools and were able to produce the same types of fractures.
>>
>>2751205
Ancient illegal aliens. *

Fixed that form you.
>>
>>2751212
>bones were spiral fractured
That doesn't necessarily mean anything except that the bones weren't that old when they were broken. It doesn't mean that humans had to do it; the only reason the authors of the paper are claiming it was humans is because there wasn't uniform breakage across the whole skeleton, which is kind of a weak argument.

>tested a method with stone tools and were able to produce the same types of fractures
Again, that doesn't mean anything. Just because something could have caused the fractures doesn't mean they did. And have you seen the video of their experiment? It's a ridiculously complicated way to break open a bone for apparently no reason.

So far, this NG article is the best I've seen in the popular press at giving criticism and counterarguments. Other articles are making a strong case because they're essentially clickbait.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.