[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Irish Potato Famine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

So why was it so devastating to the Irish? Was it British "muh free market" autism?
>>
Mostly all the grain was grown by and for the landed gentry who exported it. Irish peasants were left to survive on their little potato plots so when potato fails they all starve. And English not wanting to help or let in foreign aid further made it worse. Think they refused aid from Ottoman sultan.

Basically same shit as in Bengal. Bongs don't give a damn because aiding the peasants would cut into their profits.
>>
File: 1493149160382.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1493149160382.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
every single british person alive at the time and alive now is responsible for it, never forget that.
>>
>>2750795
>And English not wanting to help or let in foreign aid further made it worse
But why? How was letting in foreign aid bad for their profits?
>>
>>2750805
>>2750825

It's simply not true, the English raised a lot of charity money to try and help the starving poor in Ireland and also encouraged charity from abroad.
>>
Why is /his/ so obsessed with the potato famine? It seems to be brought up near-constantly. Is it just an excuse to insult the English, or is there some interesting aspect to it that I'm not seeing?
>>
>>2750818
Because we are all responsible for the deeds of our ancestors right?
>>
File: RED Box 72044 Irish troops.jpg (145KB, 800x549px) Image search: [Google]
RED Box 72044 Irish troops.jpg
145KB, 800x549px
It's worth noting that nobody in Ireland really calls it the potato famine, it's the Great Famine or alternatively An Gorta Mór.

>>2750840
I think it's because a lot of Americans have Irish heritage and the famine is the only event in Irish history they're aware of so naturally they're curious about it.

Which is a shame because it happens just as soon as Irish history starts to get really boring.
>>
>>2750834
"the English" meaning individuals on a private level, meanwhile "the English" government stops "the Turks" from sending money because they wanted to send more than the Queen did, which was a pittance

I believe the Catholic Church here discourage people from taking charity from Protestant 'organizations' like the Quakers though, and people who did were ostracized
>>
Obligatory.
>>
>>2750834
They most certainly did not encourage charity from abroad, Peter. They actively blocked American ships that were sent with food.

The only encouragement from Britain was encouraging the Irish to emigrate to America if they love not dying so much.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.