[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

St. George's Cross/flag of England

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Deus Vult.png (5KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
Deus Vult.png
5KB, 1280x768px
I have a question pertaining to St. George's Cross AKA the flag of England.

Is this flag more associated with England itself, or rather Christianity in general? I love it and I want to fly it, however I am a bit unclear as to the general perception of what it means. I understand historically it was a Christian symbol (crusader armor, etc) however it seems to be known as the "flag of England" in a more modern context, something that I have absolutely no connection to save for speaking the language.

The Episcopalian high school I went to flies one, I just visited it today and sure enough it is still there. What exactly did they mean by this?

Thanks.
>>
>>2749435
It's a fucking cross, of course it's a Christian symbol.
>>
>>2749473
I mean what is it usually thought of today, for example if you saw it would either A) England or B) Christianity/the crusades immediately pop into your head

I guess this falls under humanities, plus we've got ourselves a little vexillology so it is a /his/ worthy thread
>>
saltire
>>
>>2749435
Most people outside of the UK wouldn't associate it with England, they believe the union jack is the English flag, so they'd probably see it as some sort of Christian flag.
>>
In the UK it is often associated with the far right and racist skinheads.
>>
>>2749435
Cross = Christian
St. George = Byzantine soldier

There's nothing English about it.
>>
File: lolHairyPaki.png (429KB, 555x311px) Image search: [Google]
lolHairyPaki.png
429KB, 555x311px
>>2750845

Good. It means brownies won't hijack it like they have the Union flag.
>>
>>2749435
I would asume it more with the knights templar/ crusades. For England they think of the Union Jack even if it's not the english flag.
>>
File: flag.jpg (192KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
flag.jpg
192KB, 2048x1365px
American living in Britain here, I love the flag too but for some reason it's associated with skinheads. Saved the one in pic related after Antifa tore it down in London. I don't understand how Wales, Scotland and Cornwall can raise their flags but England's is racist somehow.

>Saint George was a soldier in the Roman Army
>Fought in the Holy Land
>This is his banner
>It became a symbol of Roman Britain and later England as a whole in spite of him never having set foot in Britain
>Legends of him or King Arthur slaying the dragon and saving the fair maiden (explaining Wales' flag; He was sometimes put in English lore even if he was never really here)
>Celebrated all across the traditional Christian world
>Also in Ukraine, Donetsk, Russia, and the Balkans as a symbol against Islamification, although they incorporate George into their own mythology, not necessarily with the flag, but with the ribbon or feast day

I know I butchered the history forgive me, I'm American
>>
>>2753906
You're talking about people who hate themselves, and I don't mean hurr durr suicidal I mean they hate their people. They hate cis people. They hate straight people. They hate Christians. They hate people who want England to be for the English, and they especially hate white people. To them that flag represents all the things you said, but they view them as negatives.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.