[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When the king dies, it would make sense for the queen to become

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (761KB, 1160x870px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
761KB, 1160x870px
When the king dies, it would make sense for the queen to become the monarch.

However this is often not the case, as power is, historically at least, typically handed down to the prince who then becomes the new king.

Can someone sum up for me what traditionally becomes of the queen in the event of the king's death? Thanks /his/
>>
>When the king dies, it would make sense for the queen to become the monarch.

no.

King marries a woman -> he's killed -> Queen marries a man -> she's killed -> New King marries again -> etc..
>>
>>2746185
STEP 1 : GO read a book
STEP 2 : it depends so much on the context : some queens were just royal blood baby machines without any power on the state and some of them were... Catherine de Médicis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_de%27_Medici
>>
>>2746185
When the king dies, there is no king, until the queen marries again, or until she abdicates in favor of the king's brother or son, etc.

Sparta is a famous example, Leonidas was some peasant who married the queen, so he acted as king, even though he had zero nobility in him.
>>
>>2746185
No it wouldn't. Either the monarchy is hereditary, in which case someone who isn't related to the king except by marriage doesn't have a legitimate claim... or it isn't hereditary, in which case the queen is most likely not the best candidate to become the new ruler.
>>
>>2746185
Why even? If Trump died would you want Melania to take over? Because it's the same exact logic, it's not like non-regnant queens were more than first ladies, de jure.
>>
>>2746216
Leonidas father was also a king
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaxandridas_II
Queen Gorgo was the daughter of Leonidas brother who was king before him
Look it up before you say it
>>
>>2746185
>throne is handed to some dinasty who had just married into
[histerical Habsburg laughter in the distance]
>>
>>2746185

There are many different systems of succession that various monarchies have used over the millennia. It's not unprecedented for the widow of a monarch to become the new monarch, but it's unusual. Most commonly it would be the eldest male child that is next in line.
>>
>>2746272
>in the distance
Where in our galaxy do you live, such that you don't have a Habsburg nearby?
>>
>>2746344

Clear on this part. Most of the replies are attacks on my naive assumption that a queen would have any right to the throne and sorta kinda totally skipped over my entire question.

To sum it up:

>King dies
>Prince becomes monarch
>Queen...????
Does she just kinda chill?
>>
>>2746489
She abdicates the throne.
A queen has a throne too, she is consort to the people or whatever.
Kind of like the king being foreign minister, the queen being interior minister.
>>
>>2746489
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_dowager
>>
>>2746489
>>2746510
Do you even >>>/tv/got/
>>
>>2746185
I don't understand how no one ever caught on that the family should run down the female line. In a time before DNA testing the only parent you truly know was biologically connected to the child was the mother. I'm certain numerous royal lines have been cucked by random dudes. I mean even the king of Sparta got cucked by based Alcibiades during his stay. This isn't to say that the woman should be the one in charge but it makes more sense if we want an uninterrupted genetic line
>>
>>2746819
A lot of people did but women naturally need protectors in the form of a male consort and he would not accept raising another mans child at his expense. There is the Asian solution, which is to throw concubines at the reigning king or emperor to produce sometimes 30+ sons, and enact strict agnatic primogeniture.
>>
>>2746819

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrilineality
>>
>>2746819
>Who are the Jews.
Lots of groups used maternal lineage, but those same groups did rather disparage their women and kinda trained them to be helpless waifus... Plus, one guy can father practically limitless children, while you can only be a mother so many times (especially in an age where you're lucky to survive the process). So >>2746850 yeah.
>>
>>2746185
>it would make sense for the queen to become the monarch
Why would it make sense for the bedwarmer and baby oven of the head politician to run the country?

Traditionally a dowager queen would try to rule they her son when she wasn't ruling on his behalf. Much hilarity usually ensues. See Caligula, Caracalla, Elagabalus
>>
>>2746185
Power usually passes from the ruler, be it a king or a queen, to his older male descendant or, in some traditions, his older descendant regardless of sex. But the sovereign's consort is not in line to be the next ruler de jure (though they may be rulers de facto, acting as formal regentes or otherwise still functioning as heads-of-state in the place of the ruler due to some political conjuncture) because he or she is likely to be more loyal to the family he or she was born into than to the family he or she married into.

Machism is common in most aristocratic or royal traditions, to a greater or lesser degree, but nepotism is a centrally defining aspect of these traditions and so favoring your own family almost always comes before favoring your own sex.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.