[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Republic or Empire?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: png;base6458544e6ff3349228.png (3MB, 1404x958px) Image search: [Google]
png;base6458544e6ff3349228.png
3MB, 1404x958px
Which do you find more interesting?
>>
File: 1493689318550.png (284KB, 421x495px) Image search: [Google]
1493689318550.png
284KB, 421x495px
republic was gaaaaaaaaaaaay
true romaboos research the dominate
>>
Empire has more interesting personalities

Republic has more interesting wars and social dynamics
>>
>>2745335
I AM THE SENATE!
>>
>>2745335
the republic is interesting because despite dying out early in rome's lifespan, it was the most influential era to enlightenment and liberal thinkers and formed the cornerstone of the revolutionary movements of the 18th/19th century. The empire was more influential to the feudal system that arose during the middle ages, the republic is a unique time period with a unique society whereas imperial rome is just another tyranny like the thousands of others throughout history.
>>
>>2745335
>Republic
>only really interesting when it was on the way out
>Empire
>bretty gud the whole way through

Empire > Kingdom > Byzantium > Republic
>>
>>2745335
Empire now and forever
>>
>>2745560
>Byzantium
>Roman

I don't get this meme
>>
>>2745560
Lmaoing @ life
>>
The narrative of the Republic is a lot more uplifting. Marching from strength to strength, bouncing back from every misfortune. Whereas the empire has been dying for half its lifespan, and that's if you don't count the Byzantines.
>>
>>2745335
i think the republic had more interesting(or at least more romantic and lionizable) characters like camillus, caesar, marius, etc. after augustus the emperors sort of become a blur, only one I remember as particularly striking afterwards is Trajan. then again if you like licentious characters, the empire is better for you.
>>
>>2745591
definitely. the writing's of the period (to me) reflect that as well.
plutarch on some roman hero: and he was the most virtuous man of time, pre-eminent in his wealth and glory.

suetonius on some emperor: he was a peace of shit
>>
>>2745571
>Eastern Roman Empire
>not Roman

reminder that "byzantine" is a modern made up term
>>
>>2745571
>JUSTinian
>not the last roman
>>
>>2745626
>Eastern """""Roman""""" Empire
>Roman
>>
The Republic is way more interesting to me. The constant wars, the grand personas like Caesar, Sulla, Marius, Crassus, Scipio, etc, the politicking (First Triumvirate, Gaius and Marius's rivalry, Caesar's and Pompey's rivalry, etc).

The Empire was just two periods - Pax Romana and when it all went to shit (due to multiculturalism). Neither of which is two interesting.
>>
>>2745632
More Greek than Roman but still more Roman than anything in the west, except maybe Venice and the Papal States
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.