[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What matters most about freedom of speech?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: voltaire freedom of speech.jpg (78KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
voltaire freedom of speech.jpg
78KB, 960x720px
What matters most about freedom of speech?
>>
"Freemon of speech" is an illusion.
>>
>>2743803
The existence of people who are willing to defend it. If nobody defends rights, they might as well not exist.

It's why you can't just invite millions of people from a completely different culture into yours without it falling apart - your rights cease to exist when the majority no longer respects them.
>>
>>2743803
The ability to debate any subject or idea. Without this, problems and conflicts in society can never be solved peacefully.
>>
Anyone got some good academic sources on this.
>>
the constructive criticism
>>
Shitposting is a fundamental human right.
>>
File: 1492034748527.jpg (92KB, 427x427px) Image search: [Google]
1492034748527.jpg
92KB, 427x427px
>>2743803
misattributing quotes to Voltaire
>>
>>2743959
IIRC he did say something to that effect but it didn't sound nearly as catchy.
>>
File: mfwimperialists.jpg (9KB, 157x255px) Image search: [Google]
mfwimperialists.jpg
9KB, 157x255px
>>2743803
That it's individualist nonsense
>>
File: 1453669408011.gif (554KB, 295x221px) Image search: [Google]
1453669408011.gif
554KB, 295x221px
>>2743826
wew lad this post was a roller coaster

>If nobody defends rights, they might as well not exist
This is completely circular.
>I defend my right to defend my right to defend my right to defend my right to defend my right to defend my right to...
>>
That we cannot claim our worldview is any more correct than any retard's. Which is true.
>>
>>2743803
All niggers must hang, all Jews must burn and all women should stay in the kitchen. The only place you could make that statement with destroying your own life is here, an anonymous Cambodian land mine detection website. Free speech is an illusion.
>>
>>2744183
One time my old black woman coworker told me the easiest way to get out of jury duty, "just tell the bailiff, 'everyone's guilty, and all niggers must hang'"
>>
>>2744190
Kek. Based black woman.
>>
>>2744140
>This is completely circular.
Just goes to show how absurd the notion of "rights" is. Saying "I have a right to X" literally just means "I really want to [have] X". When the government says "your right to [x] is protected" it literally just means "I promise I won't prevent you from [x]".
>>
>>2744166
you can't convince an obsessed conspiracy theorist who thinks the world is flat that it is really round but you can put your worldviews to the test
>>
>>2743803

If you don't have freedom of speech, then you don't really have ANY rights.
>>
>>2743959
sweet jesus it's an anti AT field
>>
my feelings
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.