[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did Rome really fall?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: fall-of-rome.jpg (77KB, 570x445px) Image search: [Google]
fall-of-rome.jpg
77KB, 570x445px
When did Rome really fall?
>>
>>
Actual fall of the Roman Empire was 476
Fall of the eastern remains of the Roman Empire (Byzantine Empire) was 1453
>>
West: it's a little nebulous, you could probably say either 476 when Romulus Augustulus was deposed or 480 when the "Western Roman Empire" was formally dissolved and the "Eastern Roman Empire" just became the "Roman Empire"

East: It's a lot easier since it happened as a single definitive event in 1453, although if you wanted a little wiggle room you could say the late 13th century when a Hellenic national identity started to rise in the Roman Empire rather than an exclusively Roman one

I look forward to the rest of this thread being full of bizarre claims about the Turks, Russians and Britons somehow being Romans
>>
>>2742874
>West: it's a little nebulous, you could probably say either 476 when Romulus Augustulus was deposed or 480 when the "Western Roman Empire" was formally dissolved and the "Eastern Roman Empire" just became the "Roman Empire"
It's also import to note that a Roman identity persisted in Gaul until the 7th century and in Italy until the Romans/Byzantines eventually lost control of it again
>>
File: LatinEmpire.png (1000KB, 1200x593px) Image search: [Google]
LatinEmpire.png
1000KB, 1200x593px
>>2742874
> 1453
Was it even a real empire after 4th crusade?
>>
>>2742639

Rome still exists. It's a city of 3 million people, which is more than ever.
>>
Visigoths and franks still carried on roman traditions in their kingdoms.
>>
>>2742639
After the death of the last Holy Roman Emperor.
>>
>>2742884

What is "empire"?
>>
File: roman emperor.png (303KB, 1600x1806px) Image search: [Google]
roman emperor.png
303KB, 1600x1806px
>>2742639
If you told someone in the middle ages that the Roman Empire has fallen, they'd just give you a weird look.

>muh can't have Roman Empire without Rome as capital
Rome wasn't even the capital of the Western Roman Empire at the time of its fall.
>>
476 in the west

1204 - nearly

1453 indisputably

There's also the Holy Roman Meme to consider - crushed by Napoleon in 1805
>>
>>2742639
Generally speaking I don't think it unhelpful to put an exact date on the fall of the Roman Empire. There are many dates that can be picked. It is better to look at it as the process rather than a moment.
>>
>>2742639
when they went off the gold standard
>>
>>2743013
france still has an empire so it wins
>>
>>2742639
What the FUCK happened in 241?
>>
November 1, 1922 when Mehmed VI was deposed
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.