[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Underrated Generals Antony would have won if 1. Egypt didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: Antony.png (230KB, 486x618px) Image search: [Google]
Antony.png
230KB, 486x618px
Underrated Generals
Antony would have won if
1. Egypt didn't have a Malaria outbreak
2. The war was 100% land battles
>>
>>27411
>Underrated Generals
Alternate History General
>>
File: 113555355.png (535KB, 1352x755px) Image search: [Google]
113555355.png
535KB, 1352x755px
>>27411
>>
Won what? His right to make the roman people starve to death for the lulz?

They killed Caligula and he was really just a bit of a weirdo.
>>
>>27532
Won the war between him and Octavian, I'm not saying he was a good politician, he probably would have been overthrown
>>
>>27411

>would of won the war if all battles were fought on his terms

I guess. He's not really underrated he was good just not that good
>>
He was an asshole in the show
>>
>>29141
I've heard its quite accurate
>>29126
Not having a disease ravage your army is more of an equalizer
>>
>>29175

>literally controlled the food supply of Rome

He had a lot of advantages
>>
>>29192
>Egypt was the only food source of Rome
Read An Economic history of Rome, Hispania also produced large amounts of grain, as did Sicily
>>
>>29232
Don't be obtuse. Egypt produced a massive amount of Rome's food and the loss of it would have led to the starvations of hundreds of thousands of the city's population who relied on the annona system of food handouts. This was politically unacceptable for the leaders of Rome because it would have led to straight up revolution.
>>
>>29232

>Hispania over Africa
>>
>>29348
>Peter Garnsey combines the accounts of the author of the fourth-century Epitome that 20 million modii of wheat came from Egypt and Josephus' statement in the mid-first century AD that North Africa provided twice the export of Egypt and that it supplied Rome eight months of the year and Egypt supplied the other four, leaving a total of 60 million modii imported to Rome.
Famine and Food Supply in the Graeco-Roman World: Response to Rise and Crisis.
>>
>>27411
Vo Gnuyen Giap
>>
>>29392
>the 4th century empire and 1st century empire are the same thing

Garnsey is fantastic, but nope. Roman economics and logistics is essentially impossible to discuss anyway.
>>
>>29521
That assessment was made about the Principate senpai (27 BC – 284 AD)
>>
>>27411
A G R I P P A
G
R
I
P
P
A

That is all
>>
Fuckig Chinese Moot! He decides to make a history board which I've been begging for, for years during Halloween when I'm not home. Am I too late? Has it devolved into /pol/ shitposting or is it still full of interesting rewarding discussions?

Also about M Anth. Was he as "stupid" and brutish as he is portrayed in HBO's Rome or was he smarter than we give him credit for?
>>
>>29348
Actually controlling the food supply of Rome isn't really a big deal.
He HAS to let the corn get through, no Roman population is going to accept the guy who starved them.
Egypt had also only recently become a producer of grain for Rome, most of which came already from Sicily and Asia.

The Egypt food advantage is really overblown.
>>
>>29641
This. Best bro in history.
>>
File: Suvorov_Alex_V.jpg (198KB, 1122x1459px) Image search: [Google]
Suvorov_Alex_V.jpg
198KB, 1122x1459px
>>
>>29743
I was actually only disputing the claim that Egypt wasn't an important source of Rome's grain. I wasn't talking about it in relation to Marc Antony like the previous Anon was.

But it was still very important to Rome even under the Ptolemies and became moreso into the Imperial period.
>>
>>29888
>But it was still very important to Rome even under the Ptolemies and became moreso into the Imperial period.
Oh yeah, I won't deny it was important, but there seems to be a commonly believed myth that all grain for Rome came from Egypt.

I'm more concerned that people think Antony could have cut the supply. He was already criticized for being to Eastern by his opponents in Rome, cutting the supply would have been political suicide.
>>
>>30037
But I thought he dis cut the supply. What actually happened then? What was Octavians "Casus Belli" for war?
>>
>>30072
He gave large parts of the Eastern Roman territories to Cleopatra and other eastern rulers.

Octavian said he was planning on starting a new senate in the east, declared him a traitor, and declared war.
>>
>>30072
He adopted Eastern custom, proclaimed himself a god, gave out provinces to Cleo's' children
>>
I feel like Scipio Africanus never gets a mention, despite his relatively big name
>>
>>30350
Because he isn't underrated.
Everyone rates him.
>>
>>30367
He's hardly ever mentioned among the GOATs.
>>
>>29717

The part of him going bankrupt before becoming an adult is true. He spent a lot of money and lacked a deft touch in politics but seemed to be a good front line commander
>>
>>30380
What did he do outside of Zama
>>
File: ludwigwilh1.jpg (37KB, 317x458px) Image search: [Google]
ludwigwilh1.jpg
37KB, 317x458px
>>27411
Ludwig Wilhelm of Baden

never lost any battles, but is still the shadow of his cousin Prinz Eugen.
>>
>>29791
THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
>>30614
>never lost any battles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Friedlingen
>>
>>30442
Thanks for the info anon.

How did he go bankrupt? Parties or unwise investments?
>>
>>30801
parties.
>>
Has there ever been a better defensive general than Wellingfu?
>>
>>30801

He went bankrupt by having to much fun
>>
>>30763
That was a strategic victory for the hre.

The french couldn't unite with the bavarian troops

"The French forces needed to join their Bavarian allies and defeat the Imperial troops that stood between them."
" Villars was also prevented from joining the Bavarians"
>>
>>30856
May we all go out in the same fashion.
>>
>>27411
he ran away from a sea battle so he could fug his fugly ptolemaic mistress, what makes you think he wouldn't do the same for a land battle?
>>
>>30973
He actually won a land battle after Actium, at Alexandria
>>
>>30851
Robert E. Lee

regards, not an american
>>
File: manstein2.jpg (14KB, 224x270px) Image search: [Google]
manstein2.jpg
14KB, 224x270px
>ctrl+f
>no Manstein

Read his book lads, it's pretty good.
>>
>>30734
>"The bullet is a mad thing; only the bayonet knows what it is about."

>"Stab once and throw the Turk off the bayonet. Bayonet another, bayonet a third; a real warrior will bayonet half a dozen and more. Keep a bullet in the barrel. If three should run at you, bayonet the first, shoot the second and lay out the third with your bayonet."

Truly mad
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.