[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

reenactors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 0.jpg (149KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
149KB, 333x500px
Hello /his/, I was wondering what would be the earliest known case of "historical reenactors". Would people in, say, the 14th century ever reenact 12th century stuff like modern people do the american civil war and stuff?
>>
The earliest examples would probably be the Athenian Plays in which actors would act out scenes from Greek history. Many plays and transcripts survive to this day and a good amount of them are historical in nature.

full-scale battle re-enactment has been rather rare in antiquity as far as I know.
>>
>>2738517
Probably, but not exactly, more like telling a story of what happened instead of actual reenacting
>>
>>2738517
Every Europe/MENA nation 6th-18th century, trying to reenact Rome
>>
Edward III held a jousting tournament to drum up support for another claim-the-throne-of-France war but made everyone LARP as someone from Arthurian legend. Kind of neat that late medieval knights had to roleplay as early medieval knights. I suppose it would be like a soldier in the American Civil War dressing up like a soldier from the American Revolutionary War and enlisting.
>>
>>2738517
>what would be the earliest known case of "historical reenactors"
hastilude/pas d'armes in the 14th century
>>
>>2738517

Roman gladiatorial reenactments of previous battles / greek theater most likely.
>>
>>2738517

they often did stuff like that, but it was all theatrical spectacle stuff, historical accuracy neither mattered nor was possible, they did mythological representations the same way,and pagents and plays and so on
>>
>>2740945
This
Gladiatorial fights and naumachias. It was literal reenactment tho, the actors truly were BTFO so it wasn't just casual larping.
>>
medieval italian mercenaries as soldiers
>>
File: foto-8-7.jpg (45KB, 564x415px) Image search: [Google]
foto-8-7.jpg
45KB, 564x415px
Definetly Roman times. These guys were so nuts they even recreated sea battles on Colosseum
>>
>>2741072
how did they manage that? to make the Colosseum into a lake
>>
>>2741072

How certain are we that those sea battle reenactments actually happened? It seems to me it would be pretty much impossible to make the Colosseum watertight.
>>
>>2741628
I don't think it would have had to have been watertight, they just would have needed more water flowing into it than out of it. The fact that it wasn't watertight probably made it easier to simulate waves too.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.