[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Irish conflict in the 1920-30

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: James Joyce.jpg (55KB, 352x500px) Image search: [Google]
James Joyce.jpg
55KB, 352x500px
I'm reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and don't know shit about Ireland and their civil war or whatever the fuck, I think it has to do with Catholicism and Protestantism?

Can anyone sum it up for me?
>>
TL;DR

>Ireland revolts from UK
>UK offers them a treaty with de facto independence and a legal route towards total independence
>Collins, a majority of the government, and most of the conventional forces of the Irish support the treaty
>De Valera, and a majority of the guerrilla forces of the Irish are against the treaty
>the pro-treaty have to hunt down and kill all of the people who were fighting alongside them against the British, using mostly British arms that were given to them
>the war kills more people than the war against the British did, including both Collins and De Valera

Or that's roughly it, it's been a while since I read up on it.
>>
>>2738303
What about Parnell and Catholicism though?
>>
File: ernieOMalley.jpg (313KB, 800x736px) Image search: [Google]
ernieOMalley.jpg
313KB, 800x736px
Just read O'Malley
>>
>>2738303
De Valera didn't die in the civil war. He went on to become Ireland's president (or prime minister, whatever the hell they have) for much of the 20th century.
>>
Dubliners was comfy.
>>
>>2738283

ireland fighting the british crown for independance, resulting in a republic, and a northern ireland as part of the uk. Protestantism was brought to ireland by the english who wanted to convert ireland. English settlers in ireland who were protestants ended up being assimilated, so the crown settled lowland scots and english from close to the england/scotland border. They tried not to settle highland scots because they are gaelic, like the irish. Lowland scots are more similar to the rest of the british, but they were tough people who'd lived between warring english and highland scots for centuries. So the idea was that they were a "middle temperament" between the highland scots and the english, and therefore more suited to fighting the irish then the previous settlers, and retaining an separate british dentity, and loyalty to the crown. The people from around the border of scotland and england were bandits who raided one an other, and also protestant zealots. So they were settled in ireland to be fighters and zealots. There were also alot of convicts among them, for their crimes of raiding and killing one and other, sending them to ireland was sort of like sending them to australia, to be made useful.

These protestant settlers' descendants are the irish protestants in northern ireland.
>>
>>2740817

and I'll add that not all settlers were from the borders, many (most?) were from other parts of the lowlands. But afaik all the english ones came from close to the border. The border people were known as "reivers" and they were the bandits/zealots, other lowland scots werent but were war hardened and very religious
>>
>>2740817
>>2740826

and also the settlements took place in 1600's. But that and the 1916 - 20s conflict is the origin of the "divided ireland". Originally irish protestants considered themselves irish as well as british, but as time wore on the divisions and conflicts and politics seperated their identity from irish catholics.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.