[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were there any civilizations where dual-wielding worked?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 1c1.png (17KB, 297x309px) Image search: [Google]
1c1.png
17KB, 297x309px
Were there any civilizations where dual-wielding worked?
>>
File: Krabi Krabong.jpg (1MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Krabi Krabong.jpg
1MB, 3072x2304px
>>2734346
Dual wielding is pretty much common in many Southeast Asian martial arts.
>>
>>2734346
In warfare? Never. In private duels? Sure, typically the second weapon worked as a main gauche.
>>
No, dual wielding is a meme, famous Japanese duelists notwithstanding. It's utterly impractical on the battlefield and requires more effort than it is worth to use effectively in self defense.
>>
>>2734346
your mum and two black mans
>>
Why isn't this duel wielding?
>>
>>2734346
In pitched battle nobody ever dul wielded as anon posted above.

Why not? Practically every army from antiquity to the renaissance used some form of ranged weapon. So, a soldier would really tend to need a shield, or at least be so lightly armed/armored that they could kite away from or dodge missiles.

Secondly, having a shield to bash and parry, was far more effective than another swinging weapon. Fencing treatises also encouraged grappling techniques with the unarmed hand when fighting with longsword for example.

I guess the one scenerio I can think of where someone would dual wield would be on napoleonic era ships. There are plenty accounts of sailors (mostly pirates) carrying multiple pistols that could be "dual wielded" and discharged at the same time. Even then though, most sailors used a sabre or club in their main hand and the pistol in their offhand. Since these are two separate weapons, I wouldn't consider it dual wield.
>>
>>2735121
Muh practicality and chivalry.
>>
>>2735111
>>2735124
>Every battle is fought in an open plain between two armies forming solid blocks.
Not really Southeast Asia, desu, where looser formations and shitfights in the jungle was the order of the day.
>>
>>2734346
A sword and shield is a type of dual wielding. A shield is used not just to block but also to create openings that you can capitalize on. Pike and katzbalger was used in some German formations. Officers used sword and gun simultaneously. There's plenty examples of "guns akimbo" back when firearms where single shot and not very accurate. A more modern example is "Macedonian Shooting" formerly used in the Soviet Union by the SMERSH that was phased out when submachine guns got smaller and less unwieldy.
>>
>>2735161
>There's plenty examples of "guns akimbo" back when firearms where single shot and not very accurate.
Dual wielding pistols happen when you want to get another shot after your first shot instead of fiddling around with reloads
>>
>>2735186
I could've sworn I had a manuscript of a reiter firing both pistols simultaneously but I can't find it. I'll concede that point for now.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.