[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yeah its another Gibbon Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: gibbon.jpg (95KB, 450x538px) Image search: [Google]
gibbon.jpg
95KB, 450x538px
I don't care if his work is considered "outdated" today, Decline and Fall is one of the greatest works in the english language, it also has the most impressive use of primary sources I have ever seen
>>
>le christianity ruined rome

fuck you. sage
>>
>>2733302
it did

historians believe Rome would still be standing if it remained Pagan
>>
>>2733328
who?
>>
>>2733301
>it also has the most impressive use of primary sources I have ever seen

So it's the only history book you've ever read?
>>
>>2733301
>Decline and Fall
thanks, another book on the to read list
>>
>>2733302
t. butthurt christcuck

Christianity definitely contributed substantially to Rome's collapse. Just read on Theodosius """"""""""""the great""""""""""""" and how christcucks literally destroyed temples that ISIS would be jealous
>>
>>2733301
>outdated English
>outdated ideas
>poisoned Byzantine studies in the west till the 20th century
>makes edge lords believe 'lel christians ruined rome'
>talks about how the late Roman army forgot how to fight and didn't have any spears, despite the primary sources and evidence showing the opposite

It's shit from an academic view. Only read it if you need to find out the outdated view to contrast with the modern one
>>
>>2733810
Not OP, but it's also important for the development of history as a discipline. Not that he did a good job by modern standards, but Gibbon was a large step up from his contemporaries when it came to actually sourcing his claims and shit.
>>
>>2733332
"Pagan" is a general term that ancient Christians applied to everyone who was neither Christian or Jew. Pagans were usually polytheists who worshiped a variety of national gods.
>>
>Saint Theodore of Amasea is venerated as a martyr Saint in the Eastern Orthodox Church
>When he refused to join his fellow soldiers in pagan rites of worship, he was arrested, but then set free after a warning. However, he again protested paganism by setting fire to the temple of Cybele at Amasea. He was then condemned to death.

Christians were literally the edgelord spergs of their day. Give it a century or two and you'll see people who now destroy war memorials be venerated in a world where marxism and "social justice" are the state religion and norm.
>>
>>2733820
Yeah. For that? He's good.

Doesn't mean you should read him.
>>
>>2733328
Rome lasted until 1453, longer as Christian empire than pagan one.
>>
>>2733856
>Byzantine
>Rome
Get out of here Gyronigger
>>
File: 1475213807629.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1475213807629.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>2733856
>Rome lasted until 1453
>>
>>2733869
>>2733866
>>2733856
It lasted till 1204
>>
>>2733328
But that's wrong.

Pagan Rome in 250 AD was closer to collapse than Christian Rome in 375 AD.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.