[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

English inconsistent pronunciation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

why english became so inconsistent in pronunciation?
yes, i know that written language doesn't evolve as fast as oral language, but the incongruencies are much more than other widely spoken languages

there is no rule to guess the pronunciation of certain words, you just have to know them, like blood vs gloom

old english wasn't like that afaik
>>
>>2732983
>the incongruencies are much wider than other spoken languages

Citation needed
>>
>>2732983
Because it's the only romantic Germanic language
>>
England industrialised first. Hence solidifying written spelling by the printing press, before major changes in the spoken language.

Subsequently, whenever anyone questioned outdated spellings, the whole argument about 'no one written spelling would match any one accent' came up.

If 'book' suddenly became 'buk' to reflect southern pronunciation, the other half of the country would demand 'book' back.
>>
>>2732983
All living languages are like that.
You are dumb
>>
>>2733003
There is no such thing
>>
>>2733183
>missing the point this hard

The point is that it doesn't clearly follow either romantic or germanic rules
>>
>>2732983

>there is no rule to guess the pronunciation

You can guess plain and dull tonal stress in the second sylable from the end of the word and 90% of the times you'll be right. And 90% of those times the words just have 1 sylable anyway. At that time, you realize this ''''language'''' is like the grunts of an ape.

There's no lamer language than english.
>>
>>2733217
It follow germania ones being a germanic language
>>
>>2732983

English has extremely consistent pronunciations, the second syllable is almost always the one stressed and the vowels in unstressed syllables are schwa.
>>
>>2732983
>why english became so inconsistent in pronunciation?
Because it stopped using accented writing.
>>
>>2733005
Standard spelling always existed before the Industrial Revolution. Just not in Shakespearean and earlier English.
>>
>>2732983
Because the relevant English speaking countries never managed to introduce meaningful spelling reforms
>>
>>2733179
wrong
most languages don't have inconsistencies of that degree, at least those that use a latin alphabeth
>>
>>2733232
regarding the accents you are right, but what rule tells you that the oo in blood is more like "o" with some degree of "a" unlike the oo in gloom?
>>
>>2733334
Its a germanic language it does not matter what YOU think as you are no one
>>
>>2733349
woah woah mate i'm not attacking english, just asking
>>
>>2733334
English is used more widely than most other languages, and in places where people have been permanently settled for longer. Similar differences exist in the Spanish-speaking world.
>>
>>2733363
Sorry.
But pronunciation it not how you determine a linguistic family anyway.

You can trace English back just like a family tree and see where it branches. All roads lead to germany
>>
>>2733370
>Similar differences exist in the Spanish-speaking world
i may be wrong but i think that in that case it applies to letters independently from specific words
ie: ll or y which argentineans pronounce differently than spanish people in all cases
anyway i think that what >>2733005 said is fair enough
>>
you lads are full of shit
Knowing the basics of german pronunciation I can always correctly know how to pronounce a german word
Same with spanish
French can be more tricky, but it's more complex, rather than flimsy
Italian is piss easy except for some hard/soft g/c shit
But english is a work of guessing
Oh what is that? River? Is that gonna be pronounced Ray-ver or Ree-ver. I don't know
Knight? But you don't pronounce K? Weird
You pronounce night the same as nite. Absolutely nonsensical
>>
>>2733370

no
in spanish vowels are pronounced identically in all accents.

some accents pronounce a few consonants differently, but it is 100% consistent and not a problem. (spaniards except Andalucians pronounce Z, Ce, Ci as the TH of English, while all other Spanish speakers just pronounce them like S, and Argentines pronounce ll and Y as the SH of English or the S of measure)

The hardest issue is different countries using different words for the same noun, like Choclo and Maiz for Corn (also tortilla means different things in Mexico and Spain), and Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay using a different pronoun for You (singular), Vos instead of Tu, that has different verb conjugations.

the American vs British pronounciation of "Water" is a much more drastic difference. Someone who is studying English may not recognize them as the same word.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.