[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would English look like today if 1066 never happened?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: anglo-saxons.jpg (622KB, 1280x1267px) Image search: [Google]
anglo-saxons.jpg
622KB, 1280x1267px
1066 never happened worst day of my life fucking Normans REEEEEEEEE etc.
>>
Better question is what English would look like if Hardrada won.
>>
File: file.png (3MB, 1600x997px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3MB, 1600x997px
What would England look like if the Anglo saxon invasions never happened?
>>
What would England look like if the Romans never invaded?
>>
What would england look like if people never happened?
>>
>>2731318
>What would England look like if the Romans never invaded?
>>2731312
>What would England look like if the Anglo saxon invasions never happened?

In 2017? Impossible to say. The world would be a very different place due to the scale of butterfly effect we're talking about.
>>
>>2731306
norse and old english was already kinda close, so it'd have way more old english/ west norse words rather than french ones
>>
>>2731369
but muh alternate history
>>
>>2731295
some people have tried to construct a purely germanic english language

google "Anglish", you'll find a lot of information about it
>>
>>2731295
What would England look like if the Celts never arrived?
>>
>>2731437
Here's an article in Anglish:

http://anglish.wikia.com/wiki/Old_English_Tongue%22

The '''Old English tongue''' was the leid spoken in England from the mid-5th yearhundred to the year 1150 of the Runish Eld. It was born of the sundry Teutonish speechkinds brought over from northern Europe. Old English did not belive the same throughout the 700 or so years it was spoken (See Timeline of the Angelsaxish incoming and takeover of Britain) from the Angelsaxish incomings that shope England in the 5th yearhundred to some time after the Norman Infaring in 1066 RE, when the tongue underwent a great and startling overhaul. Throughout these early times it took some of its hue and makeup from other leids that it came upon, such as the Welsh tongues and the two Old Norse by-leids, spoken by the Vikings who were coming into, taking over, and making themselves at home in wide stretches in northern and eastern England, which became known as Danelaw."
>>
>>2731295
More German potato brow among Englishmen, Substitute French influence in English for Welsh influence. May never rise to global power status.
>>
>>2731295
Buncha LARPers on this board.
>>
>>2731439

The celts didn't 'arrive' you stupid American wanker, with the exception of one tribe in Dorset. We just adopted the Celtic La Tene culture.
>>
>>2731843
I know that you arrogant pakis have poor reading comprehension but I refer to the Celtic merchants who brought their culture in the first place
>>
>>2731295
Impossible to say because of just how different France and subsequently Europe is because of this
Also need I remind you that without Norman admin you would not have siege engines to siege Jerusalem
>>
>>2731843
>we
Fuck off John Smith, you going 'we' is worse than plastic paddies.
>>
No Hundred Years' War. France has nobody but the Normans and the Angevins to blame for Gaul and Britain going to war against one another after 1066.
>>
>>2731295
I think we might talk noting only germanic words
>>
>>2732304
There'd be some Latin and other non-Germanic words that would creep into the Anglo-Saxon vernacular, but nowhere near as mutated as Modern English.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.