[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important is language to a culture?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: wave.jpg (183KB, 600x403px) Image search: [Google]
wave.jpg
183KB, 600x403px
For example if two languages had been swapped would the cultures also be swapped? even to a small degree?
>>
>>2730476
Language would dictate how a view of things would be dictated.

A language that placed importance on names/objects/identity would try to construct a view where those names/identities are fixed existence.

A language that placed emphasis on connections between objects/names/identity would try to construct a view of the world where interconnectedness is the default mode of assumption.

Language would not only change culture, but change the very way in which our minds construct reality and shape out very thoughts.
>>
>>2730476
Geography and culture dictates the way the language developed, the whole 30 words for snow thing.

But i think in this era most places would be fine if they swapped since we all live similar life styles, you'd only get weird shit if you swapped English and some tiny amazonian tribes language, where now we call computers magical thinking boxes.

Although in Chinese a computer is literally "electric brain"
>>
Language also helps communicate/convey culture.
>>
>>2730600
A computer literally mean a person who computed back before the invention of the computers. It meant a person who would calculate. When computers were being invented, words like electronic computers were thrown around. The meaning behind compute is something like "coming together to think".

So an electronic computer would be "one who comes together to think electronically"

Electric brain would fit pretty well with that definition. As there wouldn't be anything different to our original definition.

The meaning of the word computer changed over time as well as the word electronics.
>>
>>2730476
66.2%
>>
>>2730639
Another example is cybernetics, which was the "art of steering/governing/piloting" and referred to civil administration.
Colloquially cybernetics now means "cyborgs and shit" but that's not even close to the academic view:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetics#Definitions
>>
Now I'm imagining the blackanese kingdoms of west africa
"BOKUTACHI WUZ KANGZ TO KUSO"
>>
>>2730591
this kind of. I don't really have proof, but this is my hypothesis on the effect of language. That's why we(americans) need to construct a new PERFECT language.
>>
>>2734127
The sapir-whorf hypothesis is rejected by most linguists if I recall correctly.
>>
>>2734133
um no. There is plenty of experimental evidence supporting a soft version of it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.