[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any historical examples of Vodoun actually working?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: voodoo03.jpg (102KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
voodoo03.jpg
102KB, 800x533px
Are there any historical examples of Vodoun actually working?
>>
large breasts
>>
>>2730155

The Haitian Revolution. Although it can't directly account for their victory, it is said that ceremonies held in honor of the Petro family of loa in Haitian Vodou helped power their revolt. Interesting thing to think about.
>>
Yeah one time I killed a chicken in honour of Baron Samedi and it was tasty. My whole family was spooked out.
>>
>>2730155
Mammy?
>>
>>2730164
answer or statement
>>2730188
wow, thats fascinating
>>
>>2730155
It worked in showing me those big ass tiddies.
>>
File: 6710899029_bd089b1ac9_z.jpg (251KB, 426x640px) Image search: [Google]
6710899029_bd089b1ac9_z.jpg
251KB, 426x640px
I love the fucking color schemes
>>
File: 12isbs-voodoo-f_12_1328343e.jpg (30KB, 318x466px) Image search: [Google]
12isbs-voodoo-f_12_1328343e.jpg
30KB, 318x466px
I like how they mix catholicism with african ooga booga shit.

the syncretism is dope
>>
>>2730230
It's not oogabooga and it's not a mix, there is mostly a thin Catholic veneer.

21 Divisions is more of a mix.
>>2730155
Well inspire of force conversion and stripping of culture the faith survives unlike European religions so that has to mean something
>>
I find it interesting that Catholicism both helped to birth this strange religion, and remains arguably its principle opponent.
>>
>>2730196

It is pretty fascinating, especially once you consider what the Petro are known for in Haitian vodou. Basically, there are multiple families of divine spirits called loa or lwa, and some are defined as being "hot" or "cold." For example, the Rada family of loa are considered cold and they're generally more benevolent and tend to be slow-working. The Petro on the other hand, are hot, and are considered by practicioners to be more dangerous to work with but are administrators of swift justice. If they feel like your greivance is valid, they'll get shit done for you quick.

Tl;dr vodou is a pretty interesting religion.
>>
>>2730242

>not oogabooga

Whatvis it then?
>>
>>2730250

Honestly, Catholicism mostly just left a superficial mark on it. In modern Vodou, much of its beliefs still differ quite a bit from Christianity. What most likely happened was that practicioners just took the images of certain Catholic saints and likened them to the original spirit they were most similar to so they could still practice the central tenets of their religion uninterrupted.

Like >>2730242 said, it's mostly a thin veneer.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.