[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pre/history general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: poulnabrone-800.jpg (123KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
poulnabrone-800.jpg
123KB, 800x600px
Since another anon was requesting a new board for the topic, it seems sensible to remedy the problem for now by creating a thread for prehistory and all its related discussions.

In that vein: Why the fuck did Neolithic people make these?

It seems weird to me that people of different communities from all over the world became fucking obsessed with building them. From far Eastern Asia in to the Western European mainland, prehistoric groups constructed menhirs, dolmens and stone circles.

Cosmological, territorial, functional? wtf is up with them?
>>
>>2728910
Religion maybe? Sounds like the most plausible explanation.

Your family is dying so you build an altar because you think it will help, it works to calm you if you're desperate.
>>
File: Mores02.jpg (164KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Mores02.jpg
164KB, 768x1024px
>>2728910
Dolmen were built in:

North Korea, India, Jordan, Georgia, Central Europe, Bulgaria, Albania, Portugal, Spain, Britain, Ireland, France, Sardinia, Sicily, Apulia

Am I Missing some places?
>>
File: Windmill hill.jpg (228KB, 1313x663px) Image search: [Google]
Windmill hill.jpg
228KB, 1313x663px
>>2728918
Definitely possible, but what kind of religion? The shitty thing about the R word is it doesn't tell us much
>>
>>2728929
With like 1000s of years separating too. What belief could be so strong it posesses generation after generation over such a large expanse
>>
>>2728944
A very primitive and simple one i suppose.

Something like lets worship the sky or the stars kinda thing.
>>
How did they build them? How big were the prople who apparently built them?
>>
>>2728929
Iran
>>
>>2729476
Giants & Nephilim
>>
File: 1477144110777.jpg (80KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
1477144110777.jpg
80KB, 398x500px
>>2729498
What?
>>
>>2728910
Pretty sure they were tomb structures but I could be wrong as I'm flying off pure memory on that'n.

You could check the new book Star.Ships from Scarlet Imprint to see if there's some discussion on that shit.

>>2728944
That's the key, and given recent elaboration on upper Neolithic practices I'd say it's astrotheological.
>>
>>2728910

There are many theories. Some think they served a ritual purpose, and that newborns (human and animal) would be pushed thru the dolmen as a kind of "second birth". Others think they were tribal boundary markings, or grave markings, or UFO landing sites.
>>
File: imgres.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
holding cells for his white devil lab rats
>>
>>2728910
Everything I've read about Dolmens usually refers to them as functioning as tombs.
>>
>>2728918
>>2728944
I'd say religious too and the fact that they were so focused on megaprojects have to do with the natural primitive isolated religions these people had, like the culturally isolated mayans, egyptians(kinda), incans etc that took on huge mega projects, it just seems connected
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.