[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

James W. Loewen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: jwlcol.jpg (303KB, 1078x1554px) Image search: [Google]
jwlcol.jpg
303KB, 1078x1554px
What does /his/ think of this guy? He's written stuff like "Lies my Teacher Told Me" and "Teaching What Really Happened". I read a little bit of "Lies" and kind of liked it, but that was years ago. Now, I'm looking back and he seems like kind of a crock.

>PhD in Sociology, yet writes and teaches history
>Seems more transfixed on racism than an African American History Professor
>Currently justifying the removal of Louisiana's controversial Confederate monuments

I don't want to come off like a rabid, anti-social justice /pol/tard, but this guy's started to smell a little fishy to me, and he's starting to remind me of "Guns, Germs, and Steel" disaster Jared Diamond, a geography professor who really just wants to justify why his favorite culture on the other side of the planet didn't make any "cargo."

Be honest, /his/: am I being too critical of this guy?
Also: how many experts from other fields write history books? I mean, I know that a lot of the material we usually deal with is interdisciplinary, but these authors always seem to operate on some moral prerogative and make some point on human injustice. Thoughts?
>>
>>2712577
I just really don't know what to make of this guy. Did anyone ever read completely through "Lies my Teacher Told Me?" How was it? I know that some people trash it for being more of a long-winded rant than an insightful criticism of American textbooks, and when I read it he did spend a lot of time pointing out Eurocentrism and racist misinformation, which are actually really good to address, but comprising a book of only that doesn't really create a lot of substance nor analysis.
>>
>>2712577
https://youtu.be/jd5x2wKYILo
Is this accurate? I get that it's just a joke video of a guy ranting about his old professors, but is there any truth to it?

Any experiences or stories of professors trying to make a point on history outside of their field?

My friend once told me his honors English professor asserted that slaves were valued as being worse than cattle, the whole class disagreed with her. She ended up bringing in a graduate student to talk about slavery his next class. A student asked him point-blank the question, and he elaborated that the idea that slaves would be so undervalued was stupid, so the professor wasn't too happy.
>>
File: columbus_taking_possession.jpg (204KB, 1200x907px) Image search: [Google]
columbus_taking_possession.jpg
204KB, 1200x907px
>>2712577
>inb4 deleted because of connection to politics
>>
>>2712577
Well, crap. I was really hoping to get some feedback on this.
>>
>>2712577
Why are so many people tearing down monuments? What do they think it will achieve? Is it justifiable to destroy symbols of, what some might interpret, slavery?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-confederate-monuments-20170424-htmlstory.html
>>
File: (You).jpg (106KB, 350x431px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
106KB, 350x431px
>>2712577
>>2712586
>>2712592
>>2712596
>>2712602
>>2712607
>>
>>2712577
How about you read the book and stop being such a faggot?
>>
File: 1492482488147.jpg (143KB, 1300x1207px) Image search: [Google]
1492482488147.jpg
143KB, 1300x1207px
>>2712577
nobody cares what non-historians have to say about history
only uninformed normies adn feelgooders ever pay attention to these cons
stop giving these people money and go my mcdullough's new book
>>
>>2712586
This guy really say this? god
>>
>>2712592
Sounds like your friends teachers should teach english.
>>
You're lying if your claiming to not be anti sj
THis exact thread is on pol

>>122693046
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.