[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any books about the origin of tarot cards and their meanings?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: the_tower.png (255KB, 454x801px) Image search: [Google]
the_tower.png
255KB, 454x801px
any books about the origin of tarot cards and their meanings?
>>
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tarot+cards+origins+books
>>
>>2709625

They began as playing cards, later on fraudsters and charlatans started using them to work "magic".
>>
>>2710252
this.
>>
RNG for meditation
>>
>>2710252
so the tree of life stuff is all retconned or what?
>>
>>2709625
Divination using playing cards is recorded as early as 1540. A manuscript from 1750 (Pratesi Cartomancer) documents rudimentary divinatory meanings for the cards of the tarot. In 1765, Giacomo Casanova wrote in his diary that his Russian mistress frequently used a deck of cards for divination.

http://bookzz.org/book/2778401/b9ba8e
http://bookzz.org/book/1264591/f93a23
https://www.amazon.com/Tarot-History-Symbolism-Divination/dp/1585423491
>>
>>2711694
Mostly sorta.
Association with the precise Hermetic Tree of Life is with Levi.

That said, we'd be foolish to assume that Antoine Court de Gébelin was utterly unfamiliar with the Kabbalah, or that there weren't intermediate forms/decks/uses between the 78 and 72 card decks.
>>
File: kangz.png (1MB, 884x427px)
kangz.png
1MB, 884x427px
It's a shame we don't use the full deck (major + minor arcana) for games anymore.

In the original deck, besides the Jack, Queen and KANG, there was the knight card. Each king, queen etc. was unique, not clones of each other. Pic related, four different kings, corresponding to four different suits (diamonds, hearts, spades and clubs). And this only in the minor arcana. If you add the major arcana, there are awesome cards like emperor, empress, pope... Imagine what kinds of games you could devise with those! The possibilities are endless! We could be playing chess tier card games if we used all the cards of the tarot.
>>
>>2711764
>It's a shame we don't use the full deck (major + minor arcana) for games anymore.
Still running strong in southish France.
>>
File: suits.jpg (179KB, 1024x449px)
suits.jpg
179KB, 1024x449px
One theory says that the four suits represent the four castes of traditional society, and the four elemens.

Cups - priestly caste - water
Spades - warrior caste - fire?
Diamonds - merchant and artisans - wind?
Clubs - peasantry - earth
>>
>>2711803
Oh, awesome.
>>
>>
Very superstitious, writings on the wall,
Very superstitious, ladders bout' to fall,
Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin' glass,
Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past
When you believe in things that you don't understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition ain't the way
Very superstitious, wash your face and hands,
Rid me of the problems, do all that you can,
Keep me in a daydream, keep me goin' strong,
You don't want to save me, sad is my song
>>
The Romani made them to trick gadje out of their money.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.