[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone give me a brief history of Britain's isolationism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: sceptical02.jpg (29KB, 420x336px) Image search: [Google]
sceptical02.jpg
29KB, 420x336px
Can someone give me a brief history of Britain's isolationism from the 20th century to today, and british euroscepticism ?
>>
Britain has never been 'isolationist'; completely the opposite.

The British have never, and still do not, consider themselves as European, preferring a global outlook.

Why? Hard to say. Being an island and a huge coastline:area ratio, make us natural traders, explorers, colonisers, etc.
>>
Isolationist? Are you serious? The eternal Anglo meddles in all world affairs.
>>
>>2709475
>>2711310
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splendid_isolation
>>
>>2711329
>Owns the largest Empire on Earth and dicks around constantly in local politics
>But because we own them they therefore don't count as other countries so we're isolationist!
>>
File: 1467854691195.gif (948KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1467854691195.gif
948KB, 640x360px
>>2711329
There's a serious difference between a 19th Century diplomat's interpretation of the word 'isolation', and the way we interpret the word today. An 'isolationist' ca. 2017 would probably consider Britain's administration of empire to be the exact opposite of the isolationist program.
>>
>>2709408
They're not isolationist, they cuck for American Zionist wars all the time.
>>
>>2711344
It's called an empire, you faggot. How is it a different country if you define your country as the thing that the Queen rules, and the Queen rules both the land on which you live and the land that her government conquered on the other side of the planet?
>>2711347
Isolationism in the 21st century is a strategy only tenable for regimes that are at odds with the values of neoliberalism, and even then countries like North Korea rely on international aid and participate in international trade.
>>
>>2711597
>How is it...different...if you define...
Here's the central issue. Much of history in the English language is dominated, funny enough, by English historians, past and present.

Even though English historians and diplomats of the 19th and 20th centuries would consider the management of an empire to be internal affairs, we as historians in 2017 should recognize that imperialism was more complicated than casually drawing lines in the jungle around happy sambos. Much like how modern states' internal politics are altered by foreign wars, the acquisition, management, and decline of the British Empire literally shaped most of what we now recognize as the culture of the United Kingdom today. It's foolish to think that the British government was really ever isolationist.
>>
>European nation state isolationism
You fucking what m8.
>>
>>2711633
I really have no idea what this has to do with what I said.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.