[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is cussing a sin?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
Is cussing a sin?
>>
Curse words are only used to spread hate and demoralize character. They exist only to curse those and sap their energy both physically and mentally, so yes.
>>
>>2707082
Fuck right off with your Christianity grandpa.
>>
"But I say, if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment! If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the court. And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell."

So, I would say cussing at someone is a sin, but is using vulgar language in and of itself a sin? I am doubtful as the verse seems to imply that God drew the line on hateful speech as far as speaking goes.
>>
File: 1480964000568.gif (401KB, 128x330px) Image search: [Google]
1480964000568.gif
401KB, 128x330px
>>2707063
>sin
>>
>>2707063
If you're operating out of a Christian framework; no. There are no actions that are sins in and of themselves. Sin is your failure to be God, and all the mortal weaknesses, including cursing, being expressions of that fundamental sin.
>>
>>2707091
Christianity isn't a factor. Hell, religion isn't even a factor. You cannot deny the power words possess, whether you're a spiritual person or not. Being called a faggot everyday constantly by people who hate you will tear you down as a person, and could very well turn you into a faggot. I've seen things like that happen numerous times, and it's not good. A word can curse people and force them down a path they wouldn't have taken otherwise.
>>
Well blasphemy is generally regarded as a sin, so taking the Lord's name in vain, i.e. "god damn it", should be

scatalogical stuff like fuck and shit should be a matter of indifference to the Lord
>>
>>2707121
curse words aren't exclusively used as insults and insults aren't exclusively curse words.
*stubs toe*
>fuck!
>somehow this attacks and degrades a human being

faggot is simply an insult that is generally socially unacceptable to say offline.
>>
File: 1479616518233.jpg (50KB, 543x960px) Image search: [Google]
1479616518233.jpg
50KB, 543x960px
>>2707091
>>
>>2707150
>*stubs toe*
>>fuck!
This act is simply poisoning your language and your mind. Why scream a profanity when you sustain an injury? Because you're linking the word to pain. In your mind the word is synonymous to pain. Every time you utter it, your giving another pledge to pain, which is what whatever darkness lurking out there wants.
>>
File: ideology.gif (852KB, 350x214px) Image search: [Google]
ideology.gif
852KB, 350x214px
>>2707121
>>2707187
You're literally a retard. Have you ever fucking "cursed" when you hurt yourself accidentally? It's a release: it helps to take your mind off of the pain and mitigates it.

As to whether or not it's a "sin" to "cuss" absent an explicitly Christian framework, I would say you've merely adopted the typical framework of the new Christian, that of tolerant humanism, e.g. "Being called a faggot everyday constantly by people who hate you will tear you down as a person, and could very well turn you into a faggot," ergo no one should call anyone a "faggot." But they would not have been "harmed" by the word if they themselves did not give it power, similar to how black people are offended by the word "nigger." It is their weakness rather than the word's strength: words are mere symbols.
>>
>>2707202
You don't simply choose which words have power. The sounds we make have been carefully crafted over the span of billions of years and are rooted to both dark and light connotations. Even if we just consider them "symbols", do symbols not evoke strong emotions in people? We humans and our culture thrive off of symbolism. To dismiss the weight of your words is to dismiss the weight of our own history.
>>
>>2707187
the same logic would apply to ouch. in fact I associate "ouch" a lot more with pain than fuck. fuck is not arbitrarily worse in this context just because it offends your ears. there is nothing definitive separating regular words and curse words, especially when we have euphemisms for those curse words which are used in the same contexts with the same meaning. the only difference? it doesn't offend a certain crowd of people. well sometimes it does. my grandfather was chastised as a young kid by a woman for saying "dang"
>>
>>2707145
This.

Ironically, "goddamn" and "damn" are the most common curse words of our age, and are considered 'minor' curses, but they're the only curse words specifically, pointedly forbidden by God.
>>
>>2707220
>The sounds we make have been carefully crafted over the span of billions of years and are rooted to both dark and light connotations.
then how come duck is so close to fuck? is it the f sound? a sweet-smelling flower, soft cuddly fur, so very harsh. also
>billions
what the fuck
>>
>>2707220
Do you honestly think every human is as preoccupied with "dark and light connotations" as you are? The fact that you bring it back to such a ridiculous anachronism is indicative of a borderline medieval understanding of semiotics, if not outright racism. And, to be clear about my foregoing post, many whites are unconsciously and irrationally repulsed by the word "nigger," it's just that they use black people as an excuse for this repulsion, which is itself racism.

I dismiss the weight of history overtly: the history of a word only means something to me inasmuch as I can use its connotations to express my point. If I can make my point clearer by perverting a word and adding a new connotation, so much the better: I will effectively used language in an original way. Those humans who let their emotional lives be ruled by symbols are known as "philistines."
>>
>>2707337
>And, to be clear about my foregoing post, many whites are unconsciously and irrationally repulsed by the word "nigger," it's just that they use black people as an excuse for this repulsion, which is itself racism.
mmm racism is simply thinking some races are inferior. this "excuse" implies no such thing.
>>
>>2707357
It does: for a white to say "You can't say 'nigger,' it's offensive to black people" implies that this particular white believes her or she knows what "is best" for "black people" in a very paternalistic sense
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.