[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Agent Orange considered a chemical weapon? If not, why not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: agent_orange(1).jpg (188KB, 770x250px) Image search: [Google]
agent_orange(1).jpg
188KB, 770x250px
Is Agent Orange considered a chemical weapon? If not, why not? If so, why was the US able to get away with using it?
>>
It's a weapon against trees. They didn't realize it harms humans though as is evident by American soldiers with mysterious symptoms after the war.
>>
>>2704564
>It's a weapon against trees. They didn't realize it harms humans though as is evident by American soldiers with mysterious symptoms after the war.

Disgusting burger DINDU NUFFIN, and I'm a fucking burger.

>The use of Agent Orange as a chemical weapon has left tangible, long-term impacts upon the Vietnamese people that live in Vietnam as well as those who fled in the mass exodus from 1978 to the early 1990s. Hindsight corrective studies indicate that previous estimates of Agent Orange exposure were biased by government intervention and under-guessing, such that current estimates for dioxin release are almost double those previously predicted.[3] Census data indicates that the United States military directly sprayed upon millions of Vietnamese during strategic Agent Orange use.[3] The effects of Agent Orange on the Vietnamese range from a variety of health effects, ecological effects, and sociopolitical effects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Agent_Orange_on_the_Vietnamese_people

Don't make me dump Vietnamese baby defect pictures in this fucking thread.
>>
>>2704578
>The aftermath of the use of Agent Orange in Vietnam resulted in massive legal consequences. The United Nations ratified Resolution 31/72 and the Environmental Modification Convention. Lawsuits filed on behalf of veterans as well as Vietnamese veterans sought compensation for damages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange
>>
>>2704556
>why was the US able to get away with using it?
Before the 2000's, the US could get away with almost anything it wanted.
>>
>>2704556
>Is Agent Orange considered a chemical weapon?
Nope it's a herbicide

>If so, why was the US able to get away with using it?
You don't need to do shit to get away from using a non-toxic herbicide.

The poisonous shit was not agent orange, but dioxines (some of the most toxic substances there are, with ld50 in levels of nanograms, if I remember correctly). Dioxines got into that herbicide thanks to retards who used very high temperature during the production.
>>
>>2704578
Are you fucking illiterate you butthurt self-loathing faggot?

He didn't say Agent Orange didn't fuck up Vietnamese babies, he said that it was intended to kill trees and that it's effect on humans was unintentional. What the fuck would dumping dead baby pics accomplish?

>nuh uh Burger did it on PURPOSE
Yeah just like they intentionaly nearlly wiped out bald eagles with DDT right?
>>
>>2704592
but you also have to consider how the defoliants were being used independent of toxic (to humans) contaminants

they were used to kill jungle/rainforest plants to deny cover and territory to the VC and NVA
but rice paddies were also targeted, destroying farmers income sources in an attempt to force migration from the uncontrollable countryside to cities and towns where the population are easily controlled
>>
>>2704752
>but you also have to consider how the defoliants were being used independent of toxic (to humans) contaminants
Fair enough, you have a point there. Didn't realized Americans really went full retard on this one.
>>
>>2704661

>it was intended to kill trees and that it's effect on humans was unintentional

Except that they plenty of evidence beforehand that it would cause health problems for people and used it anyway.
>>
>>2704773
yeah
Vietnam is a disgrace and a travesty
I'm normally a pretty patriotic American, but that doesn't prevent me from abhorring and condemning my country's actions in Vietnam
>>
>>2704556
War crimes are what the other side does but your side doesn''t.
Why do you think unrestricted submarine warfare is not a war crime anymore?
>>
>>2704564
So you're saying the bombs and nukes are weapons against buildings and infrastructures?

Wow, they must be safe for humans.
>>
>>2704578
>>2704582
>>2704752
>>2704773
>>2704782
>>2704793
>>2705268
>>2705283
FUCK OFF
YOU HAVE TO GO BACK
>>/r/eddit
>>
File: 1455212794620.jpg (92KB, 344x315px) Image search: [Google]
1455212794620.jpg
92KB, 344x315px
>>2706452
>>
File: IMG_1742.jpg (39KB, 396x353px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1742.jpg
39KB, 396x353px
Wait, so you're saying where weren't the good guys?
>>
File: Filipino Reaction.png (16KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
Filipino Reaction.png
16KB, 429x410px
>>2704564
>>2704578
ITT: Idiocy.

Agent Orange was a defoliant. It just turned out it had shit side-effects in human beings.

You generally DO NOT spray chemical weapons like that: randomly, like a crop duster, and with a big chance of hitting your own troops and collateral. What is this, Early WWI Gas Canisters? You put that shit in a missile, a rocket, a hollow bomb or a shell jesus christ.
>>
>>2704592
>a herbicide can't be a chemical weapon
t. burger
>>
>>2704752
hypothetical:
>use herbicide on rice paddies country-wide
>leads to mass famine
>all done intentionally
Would you call this a genocide? How isn't it a chemical weapon -- it is a chemical, and it is being used as a weapon to commit attempted genocide?
>>
>>2706614
>people spray chemical weapons over vast areas containing their own soldiers
t. Retard
>>
>>2706638
>people don't because the thought triggers me
t. sheltered
>>
>>2706651
It doesn't trigger me, because people don't do it. It would be such a poor tactical decision. There were plenty of attrocitites committed by the United States in Vietnam, the use of chemical weapons wasn't one of them.
>>
>>2706736

I don't know what's so hard for you to believe about this:

>Ample evidence ahead of time telling everyone involved in the project that dropping a ton of agent orange would probably cause health problems for both the Vietcong and their own soldiers.
>Intentionally kept the program secret to begin with because they knew it would violate Geneva Convention rules on chemical weapons.
>Main defense against chemical weapons allegation was "well the British did it too."

They knew it would fuck people up including their own people and did it anyway.
>>
>>2706753
[Citation Needed]
>>
>>2706862

Westerners don't perform illegal killings. They pass a law first.
>>
>>2707087
So... no source then? Cool, glad we cleared up what I already knew.
>>
>>2707093

I'm a different anon.

I'm explaining how Westerners commit atrocities and record the atrocities they committed.

Is there really any question your mind whether dropping Agent Orange on American civilians would be considered a war-crime?
>>
>>2706736
PEOPLE DONT DO DUMB THINGS HAHA EVERYTHING IS FINE
>>
File: Sam_Hyde.gif (1MB, 484x305px) Image search: [Google]
Sam_Hyde.gif
1MB, 484x305px
>>2704556
> If so, why was the US able to get away with using it?

Who's going stop us?
>>
>>2707142
That's a shitty comparison because Agent Orange wouldn't be dropped on American civilians because there's no real reason to use a defoliant here. Even if there WAS a reason to drop defoliant, no, it would not be a war crime.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.