[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

internet culture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

how do you think 4chan or internet culture in general will be portrayed in history books?
>>
>>2700693
Probably as a new way corporations used advertising, or as extensive propaganda campaigns.

I doubt anyone outside the present can truly understand memes, just like old people they'll question it's use and be disappointed when they find none.
>>
>>2700723
Surely future historians would have a field day with internet culture?

If we discovered that they had proto-memes in the 16th century, we would be able to better understand society and culture during that time than we ever have.
>>
In school history books it will probably be ignored.
But in universities it will ne studied as true representation of what people felt.
Memes will probably explain the cultural tendencies of the diferent societies.
>>
Memes will be used as an easy way to represent how new technologies enabled a much vaster amount of media, and participation in popular culture, than ever before, and the extreme consumerism and apathy of the early 21st century, assuming such trends don't continue into the future.
>>
The internet will probably be viewed similarly to other communications technologies; telephones, radios, televisions, telegraphs, etc. I doubt they'll pay much attention to specific websites, and I think a lot of the effects of the internet will be implied rather than explicitly stated.

Think of how radios are treated in WW2 textbooks, pretty much just as a way to make French people feel as though they were part of the resistance despite not really doing anything.
>>
>>2700880
Civilian/propaganda radio stations I mean, not military radios.
>>
A combination of every single post in this thread so far.
>>
>>2700693
it wont
>>
>>2700693
It'll probably be considered in the same way we consider primary sources from the modern era. Far enough into the future there'll probably be reference to internet archives as an important primary source for the period, but that's about it. It'll be all over marketing textbooks though, and in fact is already attracting a lot of attention there.
>>
>>2700693
4chan will probably be seen as a somewhat authoritative primary source since people are speaking anonymously.
>>
If you're not a newfag you know the history has already been traced among ourselves better than academics could do it. Let alone other image boards.

I don't know what some of you mean by marketing but you're probably too new to know that memes aren't even the biggest impact the website has had on the Internet. It's literally just a matter of memes being simplified and plebified enough ffor a few pictures and words to spread on Plebbit and Facebook. That's not 4chan history, that's the history of some people's attitude about the Internet and trying harder and harder to fit in while contributing nothing, which is in fact the cause of the current 'culture' here.

All of this may sound like the usual complaining here, but I've only stated facts.
>>
I kinda hope memes will do more for humanizing people from our time period. A lot of regular people have trouble realizing that humans of the past had the same sense of humor and faced the same sense of horror as we do now.

When people from the future see our massive collection of memes on such topics as depression, humor, and just life in general, they'll realize that we're not robots and that we went through the same things they did, just in a different context.
>>
>>2700693
There will be no history books, web archive only.
>>
Are memes in their post irony phase right now?

If so, what next?
>>
>>2700693
The speed at which information was exchanged will be noted, maybe historians will go back and note that memes existed before the internet but they exploded once it was created.
>>
>>2700693
>history books

Are you retarded?

They will have history piles in the future

(for they I mean the collective human consciousness/brain)
>>
>>2703493
>piles

I meant pills

I love how neckbards and manchildren believe that the future will just be like modern times like today only with space ships like Star wars or their space anime
>>
>>2700757
memes are hyper contextualized those

if you aren't within the in-group they refer to they're essentially meaningless

think of how MSM considers pepe to be an emblem of the far-right, how guy fawkes is a terrorist organization, etc.
>>
File: IMG_20170411_190519.jpg (53KB, 508x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170411_190519.jpg
53KB, 508x720px
Like this
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.