/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask a philosophy major anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 17

Ask a philosophy major anything
>>
File: 1489577494248.png (146KB, 223x223px) Image search: [Google]
1489577494248.png
146KB, 223x223px
>>2697513
Why would you pay tens of thousands of dollars for an education you could get from E-books and a library card?
>>
>>2697513
Why would you do this to yourself?
>>
Can I get a double cheeseburger and small fries?
>>
>>2697513
Do you suck dick or sell newspapers for a living
>>
>>2697519
I have a full ride at my uni
>>2697525
Im interested in the topic
>>2697528
I work at barnes and nobles you cuck
>>
File: download (13).jpg (4KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
download (13).jpg
4KB, 160x160px
>>2697550
>wasting a full ride on a philosophy degree
>>
>>2697558
why?
>>
What are your plans after graduation?
>>
What's the trending philosophical posture?
>>
>>2697513
How much burger flippers make nowadays?
>>
>>2697600
Law school
>>2697606
Marxist faggots everywhere
>>
>>2697513
Did your course had any inclination towards studying marxist and postmodernist philosophy? I want to know because of the "college is biased" /pol/ meme
>>
>>2697667
Nevermind
>>2697659
>>
>>2697568
Why indeed? You're the fucking philosopher, you tell us!
>>
Continental or analytic?
How many german words did you learn?
>>
>>2697667
Its not inclined to Marxism per say, but the instructors and many of the students are marxists and the bias gets through sometimes.

>>2697685
Because I want to law school?
>>
is it bad that i jerk off pretending to be an underage boy getting raped by an older man
>>
>>2697755
>it's for law school
Okay, that makes sense. I know a lawyer who got his first degree in Forestry. First degree doesn't really matter as long as you've got good grades.
>>
>>2697765
well it does matter to an extent. Certain majors wil l prepare you for the LSAT better than others.
>>2697758
Im not a psych major
>>2697752
continental
>>
>>2697792
>im not a psych major
not an excuse i wanna know if this is ethically bad or something
>>
>>2697765
Philosophy majors are the highest-average scoring major group on the LSAT.
>>
>>2697513
Hello future barista. Liberal arts are a joke and "higher education" is just progressive propaganda.
>>
Here's some advice for you morons:
Either go STEM or ditch college and learn a trade. And by go STEM I mean stick with Engineering or Computer Science.

Otherwise you're wasting your time and money.
>>
>>2697819
>ceding the arts and humanities to the sjw's and leftist's who will then use it to undermine STEM fields
>>
>>2697819
t. materialist brainlet
>>
>>2697819
Nah desu. Major STEM, minor humanities.

This is what's known as a patrician tier education.
>>
>>2697807
Law is applied philosophy.
>>
>>2697519
That's not what a philosophy degree is. Go back to /sci/ you highschooler.

Most of what I do isn't read, but rather discussion with professors. In addition, being measured is a motivator. Praise is a motivator. Fear of disappointing somebody you've spent hours talking with is a motivator.

But wait, you're on the spectrum! People don't matter to you! All you care for is turning dull study hours into dollars.
>>2697667
Everything is biased, even /pol/. It's social sciences and English literature for some reason that expresses it the most, though.
>>
>>2697827
this was my thinking. We need to take back the university
>>
>>2697819
You're on the spectrum, get off. My first two degrees were STEM, and they were miserable years that lead to more miserable years to follow.
>>
Colleges should just be turned into pure vocational schooling anyway.

Liberal arts/humanities degrees are fucking worthless. The people that get them now don't even contribute to society or the economy
>>
>>2697513
>Ask a philosophy major anything

Can I get a double latte with the muffin double deal, or does that only apply to single lattes?
>>
>>2697852
>Liberal arts/humanities degrees are fucking worthless.

Typical plebian reaction: you hate what you do not understand.

>The people that get them now don't even contribute to society or the economy

They contribute to something even more important: culture
>>
>>2697819
>computer science
If you want to flip burgers for a living. Go to med school if you want a yacht and a nice house.
>>
>>2697852
Its a symbiotic relationship though. Arts and humanities structure society and culture while STEM and tradespeople help ensure that society and culture continue to work.

If everyone abandons arts and humanities then society and culture will stagnate, not adapt, and thus fall faster into "chaos".

If we leave arts and humanities just to sjw's and leftists then they will be the ones that structure society and they will like do so by undermining STEM and "scientific facts"
>>
>>2697513
Let's actually start this thread for real
*AHEM*
On a scale of Plato to Marx, how mired in ludicrous and irrelevant abstractions are you, exactly?
>>
>>2697863
The free market has yielded more worthwhile cultural contributions in the past 100 years than academia
>>
>>2697835
This
>>
>>2697938
glorious works like "crazy frog" and mcdonalds food
really hitting the high end of culture
>>
>>2697852
>society
>economy
Fuck off, statist. You can go to a trades school for that trash, or fuck your uncle for some tips.
>>
>>2697938
Nike shoes aren't a cultural contribution.
>>
>>2697943
How about practical space flight?
The transistor?
AM and FM?
All of these things have, by their mere existence, transformed the culture MASSIVELY
and not just in the US
>>
>>2697965
That's not cultural output you tard
>>
>>2697819
>Abandon the areas of thought that aren't mind-numbing autism attractors
>It's the only way to get a real job

You live in a pretty boring world.
>>
>>2697841
>In addition, being measured is a motivator. Praise is a motivator. Fear of disappointing somebody you've spent hours talking with is a motivator.

So you're basically a third grader?
>>
>>2697996
HAHAHA EPIC YORU SUCH AN INDIE VIDIE Y'ALL
>>
File: 1491799391792.jpg (35KB, 603x797px) Image search: [Google]
1491799391792.jpg
35KB, 603x797px
>>2697972
>the ability to exponentially increase the output of your cultural products, and spread your culture through mass media did not transform culture
>>
>>2698007
Nice reddit meme you fucking tard
>>
>>2697897
>>2697827
>Bringing internet politics into this.

Let your argument stand on the cultural merits, not this appeal to collectivist anti-sjw culture.
>>
>>2697987
>Went to college for STEM
>design experiments and try to elucidate behaviors of pathogenic bacteria
>eventually go to med school
>creatively apply skills as diagnostician

That shit ain't "mind numbing" man. It's fun.
>>
File: gerden rumsi.png (230KB, 288x373px) Image search: [Google]
gerden rumsi.png
230KB, 288x373px
>>2698009
>things I don't agree with are memes because I don't have an argument
>>
>>2698007
that's literally not cultural output
>>
>>2698007
Yes, it seems to have transformed "culture" into frog maymays and McDonald's food, as the other anon said, "culture" is now something palatable only to those whose tastes are photocopied from social media
>>
File: 1491094770099.png (100KB, 269x304px) Image search: [Google]
1491094770099.png
100KB, 269x304px
>>2698000
I would expect someone who prides themselves on having "hours long discussions" to have better argumentative skills.
>>
>>2698011
>design experiments
Not creative.
>>2698013
No, your images you fucking redditor
LE REDDIT MEME I SAW ON LE REEEEEEEEEEEEDIT
FIND A STEEP ROAD AND SLIDE DOWN IT BALLS-DOWN PLEASE
>>2698019
Argumentation is trash. This is new rhetoric.
>>
>>2698016
Most frogposters are autistic STEMfags.
>>
File: Fender Twin Reverb II Head.jpg (97KB, 795x373px) Image search: [Google]
Fender Twin Reverb II Head.jpg
97KB, 795x373px
>>2698015
The transistor and mass media made it possible for more poor people with inherent musical abilities to share their work with the world and create new forms of music. People without formal education in music now had a massively larger platform, and that's before we even get into the internet.
>>
>>2698026
who could have guessed
>>
>>2698032
that's literally not cultural output
>>
>>2697852
You're wrong, dude.

Spend some time in East Asia if you want to see what an overly-narrow educational focus on "practical" things like STEM over the humanities does to a society.

I am writing this as a westerner, but a westerner who spent years there. Yes, I taught English, go ahead and meme, but I taught it at the college level, and I frequently talked about the educational system with my (Asian) coworkers and friends, and more times than I could count I heard other professors frankly admit that their students had virtually no critical thinking ability or creativity. They had never been taught it, and had never been given the chance in school to learn it on their own. And it wasn't just the long hours and focus on testing that did that to them.

I understand where you are coming from, really, I do. There's a lot of bullshit in the humanities that needs to be cleared away, and I think there are probably too MANY people going into the humanities (and emerging with huge student loan debts that they'll never be able to pay off) but slashing them outright is just not a good idea.
>>
File: wash.png (3MB, 1105x1594px) Image search: [Google]
wash.png
3MB, 1105x1594px
>>2698024
>4chan filename
>le reddit boogerman meme

k
>>
>>2698011
I have osteomylitis in isolated sections on the surface of both of my shin bones, with damaged bone stretching about three inches across the surface of the bone on each leg, and also have large surface area wounds on each lower leg. Doctor does not know the true depth/extremity of the damaged bone, but says the damage is not spreading, but he is worried about having to remove so much infected bone that I'll have fractures that will lead to double amputation of my lower legs, meaning I will retain my knees.

However, there is still a chance my legs could be saved if the flesh wounds heal up good enough for a skin graft. We did an MRI without contrast and that have no insight into the extent of my bone damage.

Could an x Ray or bone density test give me a less invasive option to reveal how damaged my bones are without my Dr literally cutting all the flesh away from the bones to find out by eyes alone?
>>
>>2698045
Maybe, but I'd first suggest you get another MRI or consult another physician. I don't know the details, so it'd be irresponsible for me to say your doctor is right or wrong, but an MRI is generally accepted as the most detailed and best method of determining the extent of damage for osteomyelitis.
>>
>>2697513
shouldnt you be the one asking then?
>>
>>2697513
Which is the best version of 'The Joyful Wisdom'?
>>
looser on the making

I will be seeing you at mcdonalds, boi
>>
>>2697855
KEK

O'P's life is a joke, not to mention he's on 4chan right now, fucking looser
>>
Do you think philosophy has much in common with literature, history, religion, sociology, and anthropology?
>>
>>2697513
>major philosophy
>see Marxist "faggots" everywhere
>get ridiculed by 4channers for majoring philosophy
>still don't want Marxism
Why do you hate we Marxist faggots so much ?
>>
Can I have some two panetone mocha frappucino extra whip cream please? I'll have that in grande,

name's chuck
>>
Yeah, I want a refill for my soda, please
>>
Do you plan to pursue a PhD in the field? Most philosophers these days are dual-disciplinary, do you plan to be?
>>
>>2697519
This question is always asked in threads like this, and I find it really hard to believe that people are so fucking stupid that they don't know what accreditation is.

I mean, by asking that question you're essentially saying that it doesn't matter if you graduated from Harvard or the University of Balamand in Lebanon.
>>
>>2697513
Why the FUCK did you add ice after I said not to twice!?
>>
>>2698293

so when are you gonna finish my order?
>>
File: Ya blew it kid.jpg (14KB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
Ya blew it kid.jpg
14KB, 252x200px
>>
File: BieberMugshot.jpg (48KB, 540x625px) Image search: [Google]
BieberMugshot.jpg
48KB, 540x625px
can you cook me an egg?
>>
>>2698209
Yes in that if you get a degree in this subjects, you are a bonafide retard and will be homeless within 5 months
>>
>>2697513
Why would you waste your money with a joke degree like that? You're nothing but a government leech in the making.
>>
>>2697513
How long until you kill yourself because of this moronic decision?
>>
imagine doing a degree just because some memers on 4chan said it was le god tier. you will get a reality check if you do this.
>>
you're fucking retarded

christ i bet you're a libshit too
>>
>>2697513
How does it feel to not study something real and not have a real job that you would have done if you had gone into STEM?
Sometimes I also dream of being a philosophy major especially when I feel like not earning money and just think and think to find the meaning of life.
>>
>>2697513
What do think of Slavoj Zizek?
>>
>>2697513
why?
>>
>>2697513
Should have gone STEM. College is a fucking meme anyways. Hopefully Trump will turn them all into vocational schools and destroy liberal arts nonsense for good. That shit doesn't keep the world turning. It's inessential.
>>
I'm a fairly impressionable white male and I'm going to read Nietzsche (starting from Beyond Good and Evil and the Geneaology of Morals): what should I expect?
Will I become a edgelord even if I istinctively find repulsion for such individuals?
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 601x508px
>be European
>read this thread
>everyone is giving shit to OP because he has "wasted money" on his degree
>tfw the fact that degrees in the US costs so much and are not cost-effective means that now all of these anons despise the field itself

Is this actual capitalist ideology?
Also, is the US so fucking dystopic? Can't they really imagine that there are a billion people out there who don't have to deal with decades of debt only because they want to study accademically philosophy? Your outlook on the world must be so shallow.

>mfw: your naivety is somewhat funny, but deep down I know that I could help you guys overcome this bias, yet I won't do it because it would take weeks of intensive anti-shitposting
>>
>>2699058
/pol/ is leaking.
>>
>>2699086
Yes.
>>
>>2699086
Good luck running a country where nobody has real jobs because everyone got degrees in pan-afrosexual trigender dancing
>>
>>2699091
t. libtard ctr shill
>>
>>2699177
Do you really think that this is a major cause of unemployment? How fucking dense are you?

For fuck's sake, this is like talking with deunk old people in shitty rural taverns. Everything you can say is a stereotype of a stereotype (all without irony).
>>
Where do i start with fredrick neichze?
>>
File: 1418256017576.png (304KB, 456x472px) Image search: [Google]
1418256017576.png
304KB, 456x472px
ITT:

Insecure STEMlords
>>
>>2697513
Why are you wasting so much money?
>>
>>2697513
What was the most complicated order you hand to take when you were working in McDonalds?
>>
>>2697513
What's it like to be one of the most pretentious cunts in a virtual sea of pretension and cunts?
>>
File: wagecuck.jpg (1MB, 2000x1277px) Image search: [Google]
wagecuck.jpg
1MB, 2000x1277px
>>2698293

>accreditation
>for philosophy
>>
>>2697513
Are merely a philosophy major or a philosopher?

Do you have a beard?

How do you feed yourself?
>>
File: wageslave.jpg (253KB, 2048x1447px) Image search: [Google]
wageslave.jpg
253KB, 2048x1447px
>>2699480

>What was the most complicated order you had to take when you were working in McDonalds?

>that one time when some guy was speaking chinese at the drive-thru but it turned out he was actually just a chinese room being operated by a girl who had never seen colors and was being tricked by a demon into believing in them as part of his method for generating infinite free energy, and when I tried to refuse the room's order on the basis that it was merely participating in the outward motions of placing an order my behaviorist manager came by and yelled at me for assuming any of us are doing more than participating in outward motions ourselves
>>
>>2697513
Thoughts on Daniel Dennett and Richard Dawkins?
>>
>>2699344
t. future mcdonalds employee
>>
>>2697513
suicide when?
>>
>>2697870
>Go to med school if you want a yacht and a nice house.
After paying off hundreds of thousands of student debt which can only begin 5 to 10 years after getting an MD depending on the specializaiton
>>
>>2699193
Name 1 job that a degree in Women's Studies qualifies the bearer to perform.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 313x161px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 313x161px
>>2697519
You dropped a $150,000 on an education you could've gotten for $1.50 in late charges at the public library!
>>
>>2701848
kek
>>
>>2699086
It's the result of misplaced values which is the ruin of capitalism and any other system
>>
Utilitarian? I know you're still here OP
>>
>>2701779
>live in Czech Republic
>laugh from distance with free international education at most universities
>receive money from parents (according to law) until 26 as long as you study
I line the USA, but this is simply Vetter.
>>
>>2701848
But the modern job market requires college education not a library card or "proving your competence" to superiors.
>>
>>2701925
>But the modern job market requires college education

Yeah in a worthwhile field.
>>
>>2697667
I found the opposite. Dewey, Wolff, Nozick, Berlin, agonistic democracy, pragmatism, Rawls, and for the older political philosophy Aristotle, Locke, Hobbes, Plato and Rosseau are the kind of works studied, having done so intermittently from 2008 to now. I read about 1 chapter on Marx where he talks about alienation, and did a course on Hegel's philosophy of right.

I noticed an increasing prevalence of fairly contemporary feminist oriented theory such as care ethics becoming parts of ethics/political courses, and they were dealt with even-evenhandedly.
>>
What is da-sein?
What is authentic temporality?
>>
>>2699255
Platos theory of forms to understand forms
Immanuel Kant to understand noumena, and the CI
Schopenhauer to understand the Will
Then you can start with Nietzsche
>>
>>2697513
Why? Why would you ever major in philosophy?
>>
>>2697513
How many burgers can you flip every minute?
>>
Realistically, why major in philosophy? It's always struck me as the kind of field based more on experience and critical thinking than actual study. I'm not trying to say it's a waste of your money/time, but I've always felt they're the intellectual variant of comedy classes, which only the worst comedians would ever think of taking.
>>
>>2705930
Basically every relevant philosopher studied philosophy in university.
>>
>>2699058
Do you even know what 'vocation' means?

Shitting the bed can be a vocation.
>>
>>2705930
>>2705930
Even before talking about the content of philosophy, it is actually shocking how many people lack basic critical thinking and argumentation skills. Studying philosophy obviously helps develop these skills which are crucial. Yes one can just read philosophy on their own time but if you don't have the proper tools and skills to actually analyze the texts or have someone help guide you and give context then it won't do much good. Content wise basic stuff like what it means to be a good person or live a good life, how people should interact with each other, why we believe the things we do, how we experience the world, and the nature of truth are again extremely useful and applicable.
>>
>>2701976
>>2701925
But networking is the most important part of the modern job market.
>>
>>2697513
Is philosophy really the hardest liberal arts field or is that just a meme?
>>
>>2706045
unlike the others you need to be able to to think for yourself so...
>>
Got my BA in philosophy last year from uni in US. Got a full ride. Working with UberEATS now and it's great! I get to listen to philosophy podcasts all day while I "work."
It's not a very lucrative degree but it has made me happy with life. It's also nice to be 'in the clouds' all day, erryday.
>>
>>2697513
I am double majoring in mathematics and philosophy.
>>
>>2706045
It's the hardest field, period
>>
>>2697513
How did Peter Thiel make it with a philosophy degree?
>>
>>2706145

>Got my BA in philosophy last year from uni in US.
>Working with UberEATS now and it's great!

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke post.
>>
>>2697870
With CS you can become an entrepeneur and make a lot of money. With medicine, you can't do that.
Even if you decide to stay a wagecuck you'll be working a lot early than doctors an be able to gather a lot more money. Medicine will indeed earn you a lot of money, enough for you to buy a nice house and a nice car, but it won't make you exactly rich.
>>
>>2697987
STEM is anything but mind-numbing. It's a lot more stimulating than humanities, where you only have to memorize stuff to get through.
t. Engineering undergrad that left psychology for the reasons stated above.
>>
>>2706653
It is. Always remember that 4chan is autistic as hell.
>>
>>2706038
Hence why going to uni is important. That's where you meet people interested in your field you Mongoloid.
>>
How do you not get bored?
>>
>>2706693
>STEM is anything but mind-numbing. It's a lot more stimulating than humanities, where you only have to memorize stuff to get through.
False, STEM is mind-numbing by definition.
Psychology is STEM, you left STEM for STEM you fucking turd.
No, you don't even need to memorize anything in a proper """"""humanities""""" program. That nonsense is for STEMspergery lite like history.
>>2707099
Maybe people like things that you don't like?

I'm 29 and in a philosophy program, where else can I express my iconoclasm?
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.