[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were british empire' famines a feature or a bug?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: faminesdesu.png (531KB, 1466x726px) Image search: [Google]
faminesdesu.png
531KB, 1466x726px
Were british empire' famines a feature or a bug?
>>
>>2696627
they were fake news created by the dishonest french media
>>
>>2696627
feature. The system heavily encouraged the development of them intentionally and unintentionally. Same with underdevelopment in many colonies held by many powers.
>>
A feature, going from how they were reported at the time.

A bug, going from how historians write about them today.

The Bengal Famine saw food being exported from that country while farmers starved. If a local government did the same thing, they would have caused the famine. Since the British did it, they caused the famine.
>>
>>2696627
Premodern agriculture (let's just say before 1900) left a ton to chance. However, the potato famine was purposefully exacerbated.
>>
>>2696710
>The Potato Famine was deliberate
They didn't do enough of a good job then.
>>
>>2696718

It forestalled the scheduled revolt. Typically Ireland revolts against foreign rule once every two and a half generations or so. The Famine took place around the time one was due.

Ireland has still not recovered from the Famine. It's the only country to have a smaller population today than it did 200 years ago.
>>
>>2696627
The British Empire were capitalist so it was a feature. Capitalism and famine go hand in hand as the farmers are exploited for profit.
>>
>>2696710
What was the purpose of the famine?
>>
>>2696765

Prevent Irish independence.
>>
>>2696765
"The British caused the famine" is a dumb meme
>>
>>2696627
>1943-1944
>3.5 Million dead
Fucking wew lad
>>
>>2696734
Alot of Irish moved.
>>
>>2696750
Riiiight, which is why global hunger rates have dropped like a fucking stone in the last 50 years. It definitely wasn't because of capitalism. No way.
>>
>>2697222
Because capitalist empires are dead anon. If they were still up and running they'd be much worse because of huge conflict of interests.
>>
>>2696801
>Force Ireland to continue exporting wheat
>Send soldiers to enforce this
>Muh Malthus
>Muh carrying capacity

They didn't introduce the potato blight, but that's all that can really be said for them.
>>
>>2697236
No anon.

No.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 480x320px
>>2697222
>200 years of capitalism
> hunger rates have dropped for the last 50

yup, totally capitalism
>>
What I don't get it is why after all those famines there are one billion of them.
>>
>>2696627
>Britain kills 10 million bengals
>no one cares

>Germany kills 5.5 million Jews
>we have classes and movies and museums about it

Speaking as a Jew, I don't get why Britain isn't as vilified as the nazis
>>
>>2697434
Nobody cares about dead brown people I guess.
>>
>>2697434
It was unintentional?
>>
>>2697461
Because Jews have power, Browns don't. Out of the two Jews are less threatening as one since among western nation they are more closer one can say.
>>
>>2697253
not saying any empire is good though.
>>
>>2697434
Are you antisemite or something?
>>
>>2697601
kek.
>>
>>2697301
>150 years of capitalists inventing
>50 years of capitalists implementing
>>
>>2696627
Bug in the system
Bengal famine was basically because of filthy kulaks
Whilst the Irish famine is due to Irish resisting new farming methods, thus crop failure was only a hop skip and a jump away, but this time it was the Devils blight
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.