[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference between a longsword and bastard sword?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: sword.png (2KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
sword.png
2KB, 225x225px
What's the difference between a longsword and bastard sword?
>>
>>2694180
A longsword refers to any sword that is plain fucking long. Be they single handers, bastard, or two hander swords.

A bastard sword is a longsword you could use either one handed or two handed. Also called "hand and a half" swords.
>>
File: Miyamoto_Musashi_full_body.jpg (46KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
Miyamoto_Musashi_full_body.jpg
46KB, 320x480px
>>2694190
Yep, Threads over now.
>>
>>2694190
t. Videogames

A sword you use with one hand is called an arming sword
A sword you use with two hands is a longsword

Any other denominations are straight out of D&D
>>
>>2694190
>>2694195
Both retards but what could I expect from someone who is into manga past the age of 16.
>>
>>2694203
>t. HEMA Larpers who think history started in the medieval ages.
I'm so sorry I have to consider much of European history where a fucking Spatha is considered a longsword by the people who built it.
>>
>>2694203

t. wikipedia

embarassing tbqh
>>
File: SwetnamTheWomanHater.png (208KB, 403x307px) Image search: [Google]
SwetnamTheWomanHater.png
208KB, 403x307px
>>2694180
>>2694190
>>2694195
>>2694203
>>2694225
>>2694335
>>2694373

I thought this was /his/, not talk out of your ass because you are all fucking retards.

"Bastard Sword" as a word appears originally in English sources in the early 17th century, with a singular french source passingly referring to a "Batard de Epee", but this may just be a literal translation/quote of an English source.

>1617, Joseph Swetnam in "The Schoole of the noble and worthy science of defence" Chapter XII writes:
"Of the Sword are derived these seaven; The two hand sword, the Back-sword, Sword and Dagger, the short Sword and Gauntlet, The Bastard sword, the which Sword is something shorter then a long Sword, and yet longer then a Short-sword."

For any of you who actually want to learn about the history of the classification of arms read some of Ffoulkes shit, he does a great job of including primary sources, usually in the form of armory receipts, which show exactly what people were referring to these items as in their contemporary.
>>
File: Anderthalbhaender_1.jpg (135KB, 958x363px) Image search: [Google]
Anderthalbhaender_1.jpg
135KB, 958x363px
>>2694335
You are wrong.
>>2694580
This guy got it.
Longsword is a generic term for every sword with a handle long enough ti fit both hands (and a blade to justify so). Bastard Sword is a sub type of long swords coming up in the 16th century, likely originally from Germany, used to be either one handed from horseback or two handed on foot. If you need more details, we need to go into the details of sword morphology.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.