[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diocletian and Augustus meet in limbo. What do they say about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: Diocletien_Vaux1[1].jpg (2MB, 2800x4208px) Image search: [Google]
Diocletien_Vaux1[1].jpg
2MB, 2800x4208px
Diocletian and Augustus meet in limbo. What do they say about each other's respective reigns and reforms?
>>
File: check_these_numerals.jpg (93KB, 843x568px) Image search: [Google]
check_these_numerals.jpg
93KB, 843x568px
>Augustus - I wonder why one would split up the empire before abdicating
>Diocletian - It was a big empire
>Augustus - For you
>>
File: diocletianus.png (192KB, 969x780px) Image search: [Google]
diocletianus.png
192KB, 969x780px
Augustus would probably be slightly jealous that Diocletian reformed the empire away from the pretence of "muh republic" and straight up just admitting "yeah bruh i'm actually not merely first citizen, but your fucking emperor". He might have been confused at Diocletian trying to save the economy through improving the currency but that was because ancients had no understanding of basic economic theory. I also expect Augustus would have been shocked by the rise of Diocletian's bureaucracy but impressed at him abdicating. Alternatively he may have seen the abdication as either weakness, or a misstep giving the other generals a chance to fuck the Roman Empire up again under people like Constantinus Chlorus and Maximius.

Diocletian, from far more rustic and military Balkan stock than the intellectual and ambitious Italian Augustus, probably would have come across as somewhat lowbrow to Augustus. I expect they would have gotten on though. Diocletian likely would have seen Augustus as the greatest thing since sliced bread for ending the Roman civil wars of the 1st century BC since that was exactly what Diocletian was (mostly) successful at attempting and doing himself. Both of them are quite possibly the greatest of Roman emperors for the sole reason that they actually made an effort. They didn't just do what was expected of them for that time and actually bothered to go out of their way to try and improve what they saw as a state in decline.

TL;DR: They probably would hardly have recognised each others' empires, but would probably have appreciated each other as great figures.
>>
>>2694330
good summary reply anon, thank you.
>>
>>2694330

needs to have cabbages listed under likes
>>
>>2693610
>Limbo
You mean hell right Anon? Because Limbo is a Catholic fiction.
>>
>>2694330
>Augustus would probably be slightly jealous that Diocletian reformed the empire away from the pretence of "muh republic" and straight up just admitting "yeah bruh i'm actually not merely first citizen, but your fucking emperor"
I feel like Augustus would have done the same thing if he was in a similar position to Diocletian. The logical step for Augustus was to pretend to be first among equals while the logical step for Diocletian was to pretend to be a god in order to retain power.
>>2695641
>Limbo is a Catholic fiction.
Literally, yes. Limbo is not part of official Catholic doctrine.
>>
diocletian only did what he had to to strengthen the empire in a europe far different from augustus' day.

the empire needed extensive bureaucracy to maintain the taxes to fund the massive expansion of the army necessary to keep the empire together after the 3rd century crisis. diocletian was a giant among men, and easily equal to constantine in the importance and duration of his legacy.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.