[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meditation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

What's the point of changing something in a dead language that you don't understand?

(Sanskrit, Pali, Latin, etc)

I've experimented myself and I've realized that changing in your own language really has a strong effect psychologically.

No need to waste time studying dead languages.
>>
>>2687653
I feel like you don't have a strong grasp of any language bud.
>>
>>2687662

Sorry I meant chanting, not changing

Fucking autocorrect
>>
File: starting_sit.jpg (957KB, 518x3648px) Image search: [Google]
starting_sit.jpg
957KB, 518x3648px
>>2687653
You've been doing it wrong, enlightenmentlet.
>>
>>2687653
Because the sounds, focus, and repetition of mantra are more important than the 'meaning'
>>
>>2687653
>>2687805
This, some kind of idea that the sound of the words themselves have special energies which assist in realizing deeper contemplation and insight and such.
>>
there are many different ways to meditate. chanting is just one of them.

there is no right or wrong way to meditate.

the point is just to be alive to the present moment and be aware of what's going on with your body and mind.

meditating consisteently ven for a few minutes a day has a range of scientifically proven health and mental health benefits.

try listening along to these if you're interested (no chanting or other such mumbo jumbo required): http://rodalebooks.s3.amazonaws.com/mindfulness/index.html
>>
>>2687871

meditating consistently even for a*
>>
>>2687653
It's not that. The languages have technical terms that are monstrously difficult to translate relating directly to their various belief systems
Plus the "weight" of those languages helps noobs
>>
>>2687653
Often what is important in chanting is the specific breathing patterns in creates. Changing the words will change the effects. saying the words wrong will also change the effects
>>
>>2687653
>What's the point of changing something in a dead language that you don't understand?
found the american who can only talk one language
>>
>>2687672
Generally speaking the chanting would be done under the assumption of a system of correlations (see Paratrisikavivirana) that are more or less similar to the Hebrew Kabbalah; linguistic, numerical, and symbolic referential, all condensed into an information dense mantra. This happens with Hebrew godnames in Kabbalah and Western ritual magick. This happens again when you have Tantric systems reckoning different syllable systems that not only are "the syllable" but also refer to spiritual concepts fundamental to your system.

So, say you have a three syllable mantra that's just venerating some god. Syllable one may ALSO refer to an internal state, a chakram, some important mythic animal, an extra Godform, a cosmological concept, etc., and the same for the next two syllables.

The English language is a poor vehicle for these systems, but mostly because nobody's bothered to come up with one that has, at bare minimum, an internal logical consistency.

>>2687805
Sorta this, too, proper attenuation of the spandas is a thing, but that doesn't limit the fact of systems like Malini.

>>2687890
This^.

>>2688237
Also this but it only truly applies to certain handfuls of mantras in certain systems. All are going to get you on a different breath metric but only some of these are going to have that as 'the point'.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.