[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Memes aside, why didn't the Irish eat fish?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 19

File: Irish potato.jpg (26KB, 459x405px) Image search: [Google]
Irish potato.jpg
26KB, 459x405px
Memes aside, why didn't the Irish eat fish?
>>
>brb just going to catch deep sea cod miles off the coast in a never ending stormt sea in my boat made of potato
>>
You need ships and fishermen to fish. You don't just adapt overnight.
>>
>>2682019
One would think impending starvation would be a very good motivator
>>
>>2681996
>boat made of potato
Are there no trees in Ireland?
>>
Maybe because the place was deforested and they were not allowed to own private property
>>
..the fisheries of Ireland, were undeveloped, and in Galway and Mayo the herring fishermen were too poor to buy salt with which to preserve a catch.
... A large part of the Irish coast, in the south-west, west and north-west is perilous: there are cliffs, rocks, treacherous currents, sudden squalls and above all the Atlantic swell surging form America across thousands of miles of ocean. By the nineteenth century timber was short in Ireland in the west, practically speaking, there was none, & fishing-boats were small, the largest being 12-15 tons. The national boat of Ireland is the 'curragh', a frail craft, often of considerable length, made of wicker work covered originally with stretched hides and latterly with tarred canvas. The curragh rides easily over the great Atlantic swells, is fast, and with four oarsmen can cover suprising distances. The Curragh was not suitable for the use of nets in deep-sea fishing, and according to an expert writing at the time the fish off the west coast of Ireland lay many miles out at sea in forty fathoms of water. A vessel of at least fifty tons was needed, capable of going out for several days, laden with nets, to face 'the frightful swell of the Atlantic'. If a gale blew from the east the nearest port of refuge was Hailfax, in Nova Scotia.
>>
>>2682039
The curraghs and small fishing-boats of the Irish were 'powerless in these circumstances'; and an inspector, reporting from Skibbereen, wrote that the failure of Irish fisheries was due to the want of boats suitable for deep-sea fishing, 'though this coast and the coast of Kerry about with the fines fish in the work' another report commented that the courage and skill of Irish fishermen were remarkable; 'the native fishermen' were 'out in thier frail curraghs whenever an opportunity offers, and in weather when nobody else could think of venturing themselves in such a craft'. ...but the heavy swell off the west and south-west made deep-sea fishing in curraghs impossible. 'The poor cottier had a miserable curragh, fished for his family or neighbours and got paid in potatoes
>>
>Anonymous 4chan poster solves the Irish famine with this one weird trick! The Irish hate him!
>>
>>2682055
Kek'd, seriously though this is an asinine question and op should feel bad
>>
>>2682069
>op should feel bad
OP here. I do feel bad, but for unrelated reasons. Mostly involving sex stuff.
>>
>>2682069

>Obvious and valid question is asinine

Spoken like an academic who has been trained to think in a certain, very particular way; to over-complicate things, and to shun the obvious for its own sake as being "pleb", "naive", and so on. In other words, to never actually come to the point.
>>
>>2681996
Fish is not potato dummy.
>>
>>2682039
>live next to the sea
>can't afford salt
>>
Because the Irish were lazy. With potatoes they grow themselves. To fish you actually had to get up and do shit which they weren't accustomed to.
>>
File: BANG.jpg (46KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
BANG.jpg
46KB, 500x362px
>>2682121

Yes they magically grow everywhere out of nothing and require absolutely no maintainance before magically cleaning, peeling and cooking themselves
>>
>>2682031
No the English stole them, also stole all the rope to stop us committing suicide, Anglos really did like to torture their prey
>>
>>2682352
>Implying the Irish clean, peel, or cook their food
>>
>>2682369

yes?
>>
>>2681996
Ireland was almost completely deforested to make room for farm land. This means there wasn't enough wood to build ships that could sail far enough out to sea to catch anything. This means there weren't any tradesmen who knew how to build these ships. Some fishermen built what were basically canoes made of whatever wood they could get, and braved storms to feed their communities, but British military ships would sink any vessel of any size that they saw

There you go
>>
>>2682382
Well maybe they shouldn't have deforested their own country.
>>
>>2682451
Don't tell us what to do
>>
>>2682458
Don't complain how poor planning led to your famine then.
>>
>>2682471
Was more than enough food being produced in Ireland to feed everyone but the brits took it at gunpoint
>>
Potatoes were a revolutionary crop for Europe, and folks then had a poor grasp on why they ought to have diverse agricultural products apart from how it maintains soil arability. Like oil in some economies, it was something convenient, and convenience creates disastrous overdependence.
>>
>>2682458

Don't kill yourself.
>>
Ireland used to be heavily forested until the British used all their wood for their fleets.

Used to have the largest deer in the world.
>>
File: 1483147413336.jpg (62KB, 374x767px) Image search: [Google]
1483147413336.jpg
62KB, 374x767px
>>2682567
Perfidious post
>>
File: 1489692473269.jpg (22KB, 287x266px) Image search: [Google]
1489692473269.jpg
22KB, 287x266px
>literally starve to death because no potatoes
>potatoes were only introduced to Europe after the Age of Discovery

What the hell did they eat before that?
>>
>>2682482
Yeah sure O'Mc Kilkenny, blame your peoples lazyness and poor planning on someone else.
>>
>>2682586
Regular crops like turnip and sheeit. But British landowners divided up the land into tiny portions to rent back to the original Irish owners, with plots so small, the only thing that could grow in enough abundance with enough nutrients was the potato
>>2682595
(You)
>>
>>2682586
Babies
>>
>>2682586
Oats and barley along with dairy. Our climate is a bit too wet for good wheat.
>>
>>2682586
They planted a wide variety of crops which were served in local markets.

After the eternal Anglo, the only way small Irish farmers could stay afloat was by planting crash crops, in this case potatoes.

It wasn't that they were only eating potatoes and the virus took them all away, it was the fact that the virus caused a price shock which drove huge numbers of farmers into destitution because they lost their farms, and the only ones which remained stayed profitable by selling their product on overseas markets.

The eternal Anglo couldn't have deigned to help the suffering Irish because in their minds, capitalism was God's economy, rewarding the virtuous and punishing the wicked, even though it was a disaster of their own making.
>>
>>2682603
Why did you let the english rule?
>>
>>2682055
>questions are arrogant!
>>
>>2682631
Bitta craic but they took it too far, we're not friends anymore
>>
Queen Anne's law in 1703 made all catholic land adhere to gavelkind inheritance while the protestants could retain primogenitor. In addition, if a son of a catholic family became protestant he could inherit everything, even if he was not the first born. This was done to disenfranchise catholic land owners while strengthening the protestant hold.

By the time of the famine 140 years later catholic land had be subdivided many times over. As a result of this most of the catholics had started growing potatoes as they were cheap to raise, made relatively more profit than other foods and (most importantly) did not need a lot of room to grow. While the protestants could diversify their lands with barley and what have you, over half of the arable land in Ireland was dedicated to potatoes due to the people rejecting conversion.
>>
>>2682586
Rocks and dirt.

>>2682369
This
>>
>>2682668

ty anon, I did not know this.
>>
But the Irish did live off of fish. In the Mesolithic, when the population was probably a few thousand people. But that hasn't been a very viable way to live since the Neolithic happened.

Do you really not understand that if agriculture fails, a population of millions cannot just return to hunting and gathering without mass starvation? Do you think land would be such a valuable resource, fought over in countless wars throughout recorded history, if everyone could have just lived off of fish?
>>
>try to fish
>anglos don't let you because you are not licensed or permitted to fish, only to farm or ranch
>try to eat your baby
>arrested
>die the next day
>anglos storm in and burn down our church (where what little food we have is stored) because we caught some fish against the law and were drying them there
>everybody else dies
>>
>>2682569
>Used to have the largest deer in the world.
>Ireland
What?
>>
>take over Bengal
>force local farmers to grow opium instead of food because you want to force it on the Chinese for the sake of tea
>everyone dies
>offer no relief to your own subjects
>raise taxes to make up for lost profits due to everyone dying
>everyone dies even more
>then the Chinese decide they don't want opium, so you kill everyone and trigger the decline the Qing dynasty, throwing China into chaos for over a century

Wew
>>
>>2682840
Irish Elk. They died out millenia ago though and they were found all over Eurasia, so it's nothing to do with the British.
>>
>>2682834
Ask the japanese, theres 144 million of them living off fish
>>
>>2682451
>>2682382
>>2682458

Ireland is Haiti of Europe
>>
>>2682902
I'm pretty sure they have agriculture in Japan. Also mechanised industrial scale fishing rather than 19th century fishing nets thrown from little currachs.
>>
File: britlandia.jpg (30KB, 794x355px) Image search: [Google]
britlandia.jpg
30KB, 794x355px
>other countries try to send Ireland aid or trade food with them
>the English blockade the ships in order to reduce Ireland's population
>>
>>2682906
Don't care
>>
File: Eternal Anglo.png (268KB, 639x360px) Image search: [Google]
Eternal Anglo.png
268KB, 639x360px
>No trees, no wood for ship building
>Irish didnt really know how to fish since it wasnt part of their culture or economy
>Irish peasants grew their own food (the potatoes) since they were too poor to actually purchase food, so once potatoes were dying they didnt know what to do
>damp weather wasn't suitable for other crops
>because of "muh licenses" from the perfidious anglos, if you tried to fish without a fishing permit you get in trouble
>british food import tariffs fuck you over
>english stop other nations from helping out the irish because they didnt want them to help the irish more than they did themselves (which was fuck all)
>>
File: WE.jpg (138KB, 980x551px) Image search: [Google]
WE.jpg
138KB, 980x551px
Why didn't the Irish just bury themselves in the bogs and wait until the famine was over then rise up?
>>
>>2683118
>tfw Oswald Mosley actually quite liked Ireland
>>
File: IMG_2473.png (53KB, 1790x1640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2473.png
53KB, 1790x1640px
>This thread again
>>
>>2681996
then why there were irish monks spread around the whole north atlantic? is it because they couldn't sail?
>>
>>2682109
You know you have to evaporate it to get the salt out? Which requires fuels which is expensive cause even wood was costly. And you can't just let sun dry it because its Ireland and its cold and rainy all the time.
>>
>>2683155
cause it doesn't always work like its supposed to if you don't do it correctly
>>
>>2682902
Good god what a retard you are.
>>
>>2683177
This, I don't know why he's the face of perfidious anglo when he was basically a pan-european nationalist that wanted a strong europe that would stick it to the fucking yanks.
>>
>>2684137
I can't even fish, help me
>>
>>2684137
Not an argument
>>
>>2683177
Mosley actually broke his back for Ireland at a time when it was extremely unpopular. He crossed the aisles and eventually resigned from the Conservatives because he disapproved of the government's use of Black and Tans as a paramilitary force. It's hard to imagine now but Mosley at the time was set to become the next Labour leader and thereby the next PM, however he never quite fit in and he resigned after Labour turned down his economic programme and was confined to a life of faffing about in costume ever since.
Bit of a dick move really to use him as the face of le Anglo meme.
>>
>>2684211

Of course it's not an argument, he was just correctly pointing out this guy >>2682902 is a retard.

Are you saying he's wrong and trying to argue that Japanese people eat literally nothing except fish? Go ahead and make your case.
>>
>>2682352
Potatoes are easy mode crops. I remember fondly of the times I was given a little plot of land in my last years of primary school. It was a school project to learn children to grow their own food. However, being the lazy little shit I was I would rather play video games than taking care of my crops. After a few weeks or so, all my seedlings had been replaced by weeds except for one thing. Potato plants, not only did they survive but they basically spread across my entire plot of land.
>>
>>2684226
I wouldn't say they eat nothing but fish but it's a very heavy staple in their diet and they're some of the longest-lived people in the world because of it
>>
File: Jonathan_Swift.jpg (170KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
Jonathan_Swift.jpg
170KB, 1152x768px
>>2681996
why didn't the Irish just eat their own babies?
>>
>>2682586
Other Irishmen.
>>
>>2684231

So you do agree the anon that said they eat nothing but fish is a retard. So why bother posting your dumb little "not an argument" meme?
>>
File: doge.jpg (10KB, 236x225px) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
10KB, 236x225px
Can someone explain me the "typical" Irish accent and its development? I like to listen to Irish songs from time to time, both in Gaelic and in English but I can't seem to understand how the harsh Gaelic turned into the typical accent of Ireland today.
>>
>>2684279
>Being this pointlessly fannyblasted
Are you an Oirish-American by any chance?
>>
>>2684373

No. I'm just on a one man crusade against people that randomly post "not an argument" in threads for no good reason.
>>
>>2684459
OK well make your next crusade against people who pointlessly post "ugh what a retard" without an attending argument
>>
>>2684475

Negative, if someone has made an obviously retarded statement then it is duty of every /his/ poster to call them a retard.
>>
>>2684231
>staple

That would be rice.
>>
>>2684289
Gaelic isn't harsh at all. Only the Ulster dialect has a rough character which would explain why their accent is also much more bracing than in the south
>>
>>2681996
The British didn't let them, and took any food they produced that wasn't potatoes and a few other crops-Ireland produced more food than it ever while its people starved to death.

In other news fuck the Brits
>>
>>2682032
Almost like 99.99% of every fucking body in Britain at the time.

No excuse.
>>
>>2681996
Ignorant fuck. It was considered poaching, you can't fish it's against the law. Besides, most are inland, it's not a fucking atoll you retard.
>>
There was plenty of food in Ireland.

The British Army was deployed to make sure it got exported for profit.

Pic related.
>>
>>2684754
>It was considered poaching, you can't fish it's against the law.
>get a fishing license you say? sounds like too much hard work for me i say. so, i think that i'll just continue starving to death
>>
>>2684810

Kek, top class shitposting, made me laugh/10.
>>
>>2682014
The basques did that with early medieval tech. I don't see how the irish couldn't, or they don't have trees?
>>
>>2682636
>all questions are leading questions!
>>
>>2682586
all the crops that were shipped to British factories at the time.

Brits figured that they didn't need all that food since potatoes were good enough for them (turns out they were wrong).
>>
>>2684903
>they don't have trees
Exactly
>>
>>2682451
Fun fact, alot of it was done during the plantations by the Brits without much long term considerations
>>
>>2682055
lol
>>
File: 1654651563.gif (184KB, 345x559px) Image search: [Google]
1654651563.gif
184KB, 345x559px
>Be Irish monk
>Bastion of latin literature and Catholicism in western Europe
>Make pilgrimage to Rome for more texts
>Captured on the way, made slave for 5 years
>Escape slavery, get to Rome
>Acquire copies of scripture
>Make journey back to monastery in Ireland
>Lose half the books due to a bad storm at sea
>Manage to preserve the rest and make copies to distribute to the Anglos recovering from raids by the Danes and Norwegians
>Anglos repay my people by becoming heretics and attempting to genocide my people
>>
>>2682586
milk

ireland was almost mongolia tier but with cows instead of horses

read brehon law, literally everything is measured in cattle
>>
Lol absent British landlords would prosecute motherfuckers for gathering seaweed in starvation. Ireland was just fucked in the 19th
>>
>>2684903
Nope, they use black turf for fires.
>>
>>2685048
The eternal anglo did the same to India.
>>
>>2681996
Be honest anons, most of you faggots would starve too if you weren't able to drive to a supermarket to buy all your pre-prepared shit.
>>
File: url.jpg (7KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
7KB, 225x224px
>>2681996
why couldn't they just cover the potatoes so they didn't get infected?
>>
>>2681996
It must be nice living in a world as moronically simplistic as the one you seem to inhabit.
>>
>>2685172
what is this meme? they didn't start with any more or less trees than britain. They just got BTFO because the fenians are quite simply genetically inferior.
>>
>>2685329
>Lol absent British landlords would prosecute motherfuckers for gathering seaweed in starvation
OH NIL, TIS ANOTHA FAMINE

DONT FORGET THE 1 GORILLION YOU DIRTY SASANACH
>>
>>2685836
t. Paidrick O'Hara
>>
>>2681996

>why don't lifelong farmers suddenly become professional fishermen overnight?
>>
File: 1492288794146.png (834KB, 720x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1492288794146.png
834KB, 720x1152px
>>2681996
>Brb while I walk all the way from my little thatched cottage in the middle of the country, buy a boat, buy a fishing rod, then head out to sea during a storm for a few hours to try and catch enough fish for my entire family and some to sell as well, then walk all the fucking way back

>>2684748
Was Britain starving? No it was not
>>
>>2682076
Kek that unheard cry for attention
>>
>>2686314
How hard is it to go to the beach and gather shell food?
Dont tell me,the English took that too
>>
>>2682039
Hard to remember salt used to be expensive.
>>
>>2686521
>8 million starving peasant
>not all of them coastal

Yup, should all have just took a nice family stroll down to the beach and swallow anything that isnt sand or rocks

>But wait, why didnt they just eat rocks and grass???
>>
The Irish lived in slavery. They slept in simple hovels and had their food stolen by their masters.

Btw you can live on potatoes, but not fish.
>>
>>2683573
lmao just leave a bucket of water out in the open over a few days
>>
>>2684232
It was just a joke guys, sheesh.
>>
File: 121478.jpg (26KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
121478.jpg
26KB, 360x360px
>>2687447
>The Irish lived in slavery
>and had their food stolen by their masters.
ameritard spotted
>>
>>2682586
English semen
>>
>>2687591
>ameritard
>>
ITT: eternal anglos trying to justify their jewish ways
>>
>>2688683
How do we stop them?
>>
>>2681996
A better fucking question:

WHY DID IRELAND EXPORT MORE FOOD THAN EVER DURING THE FAMINE?

Answer: the eternal anglo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)#Irish_food_exports_during_Famine

Almost 4,000 vessels carried food from Ireland to the ports of Bristol, Glasgow, Liverpool, and London during 1847, when 400,000 Irish men, women, and children died of starvation and related diseases. She also writes that Irish exports of calves, livestock (except pigs), bacon, and ham actually increased during the Famine. This food was shipped under British military guard from the most famine-stricken parts of Ireland; Ballina, Ballyshannon, Bantry, Dingle, Killala, Kilrush, Limerick, Sligo, Tralee, and Westport. A wide variety of commodities left Ireland during 1847, including peas, beans, onions, rabbits, salmon, oysters, herring, lard, honey, tongues, animal skins, rags, shoes, soap, glue, and seed. The most shocking export figures concern butter. Butter was shipped in firkins, each one holding 9 imperial gallons; 41 litres. In the first nine months of 1847, 56,557 firkins (509,010 imperial gallons; 2,314,000 litres) were exported from Ireland to Bristol, and 34,852 firkins (313,670 imperial gallons; 1,426,000 litres) were shipped to Liverpool, which correlates with 822,681 imperial gallons (3,739,980 litres) of butter exported to England from Ireland during nine months of the worst year of the Famine.[81]

The historian Cecil Woodham-Smith wrote in The Great Hunger: Ireland 1845–1849 that no issue has provoked so much anger and embittered relations between England and Ireland "as the indisputable fact that huge quantities of food were exported from Ireland to England throughout the period when the people of Ireland were dying of starvation."[83] John Ranelagh writes that Ireland remained a net exporter of food throughout most of the five-year famine.[84]
>>
>>2690199
Other critics maintained that, even after the government recognised the scope of the crisis, it failed to take sufficient steps to address it. John Mitchel, one of the leaders of the Young Ireland Movement, wrote in 1860:
I have called it an artificial famine: that is to say, it was a famine which desolated a rich and fertile island that produced every year abundance and superabundance to sustain all her people and many more. The English, indeed, call the famine a "dispensation of Providence;" and ascribe it entirely to the blight on potatoes. But potatoes failed in like manner all over Europe; yet there was no famine save in Ireland. The British account of the matter, then, is first, a fraud; second, a blasphemy. The Almighty, indeed, sent the potato blight, but the English created the famine."

Christine Kinealy has written that "the major tragedy of the Irish Famine of 1845–52 marked a watershed in modern Irish history. Its occurrence, however, was neither inevitable nor unavoidable."[1] The underlying factors which combined to cause the famine were aggravated by an inadequate government response. As Kinealy notes:

[T]he government had to do something to help alleviate the suffering, the particular nature of the actual response, especially following 1846, suggests a more covert agenda and motivation. As the Famine progressed, it became apparent that the government was using its information not merely to help it formulate its relief policies, but also as an opportunity to facilitate various long-desired changes within Ireland. These included population control and the consolidation of property through various means, including emigration... Despite the overwhelming evidence of prolonged distress caused by successive years of potato blight, the underlying philosophy of the relief efforts was that they should be kept to a minimalist level; in fact they actually decreased as the Famine progressed.[154]
>>
>>2690229
Several writers single out the decision of the government to permit the continued export of food from Ireland as suggestive of the policy-makers' attitudes. Leon Uris suggested that "there was ample food within Ireland", while all the Irish-bred cattle were being shipped off to England.[155] The following exchange appeared in Act IV of George Bernard Shaw's play Man and Superman:

MALONE. He will get over it all right enough. Men thrive better on disappointments in love than on disappointments in money. I daresay you think that sordid; but I know what I'm talking about. My father died of starvation in Ireland in the black 47, Maybe you've heard of it.
VIOLET. The Famine?
MALONE. [with smouldering passion] No, the starvation. When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine. My father was starved dead; and I was starved out to America in my mother's arms. English rule drove me and mine out of Ireland.
>>
Question is why they didn't eat cake.
>>
File: 1464131447758.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1464131447758.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
>>2682019
>adapt overnight

Irish here, shit like this makes my blood boil, we've lived on a small island for thousands of years, and we never became seafarers, likewise we've reared cattle for almost as long, and yet we have no expertise with leather, and never developed and variety of dairy products to the extent that france for example has, I look at the lack of achievement among my people historically and feel only shame
>>
>>2691881

It's not that small, it's a fairly significant landmass, the idea that you could suddenly feed a population of four million just on fish like it was eight people in living on a little island somewhere is actually pretty laughable.
>>
>>2691885
I'm not talking about that at all, I said in all the thousands of years of living on a small island, we never developed our skills at sea like other nations did
>>
>>2691885
the population of Ireland before the famine was actually around 8 million
>>
>>2691918

Apologies, you are correct, which indeed supports what I was saying even further, thanks for the correction, anon, not sure where I got that incorrect figure from.
>>
>>2682586
Protestants
>>
>>2685312
>attempting to genocide my people
Patty please quit eating that IRA propaganda, it's not good for you
>>
>>2681996
Such a base level retarded question

>live 50-150 miles from ocean
>Okay, all shops you can guy food from vanish across the entire country
>Millions of other people, living close by who may or may not have the bright idea to get fish.
>except the British are either taking the fish or you lack the infrastructure to get them in significant numbers.
>>
>>2690189
Don't worry the Muslims are on it
>>
>>2691901
It's not that much of an issue. Those other sea faring nations are in different scenario then Ireland was in. Just being near water doesn't make you a sea farer.
>>
What are the straight facts?

The Irish were obviously unable to eat something else in large enough numbers to support their population, why?
>>
File: can't heem the bean.jpg (82KB, 425x593px) Image search: [Google]
can't heem the bean.jpg
82KB, 425x593px
>>2691918

and the bog still hasn't rebuilt those numbers, even with a ban on abortion!
>>
IDK if anyone will find this interesting but fuck you Ill I'm posting it anyways. Shows how the population was fucked over.
My counties population is about a 3rd of what it was in 1841
1841 - 180,886
From then on it decreased until 1971
1851 - 128,515
1971 - 50,275
It increased every year bar 1991 since then and its at 65,535 as of 2016
The famine killed alot of people but it really was the start of the mass immigration from Ireland, doubt our population will get to the same levels as before, in my life time anyway
Sorry for bringing this thread off on a tangent, just found it interesting
>>
>>2682603

why didn't these Einsteins just farm communally?
>>
>>2691881
Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it didn't exist. Irish leatherwork was very well regarded in Spain, Italy and the Low Countries in the 16th century, their jewellery was considered second to none, and Ireland actually has one of the richer traditions of cheeses in Western Europe, just to address that last bizarre point.
>>
>>2692190

It was primarily the poor that starved, export and import of foodstocks (with a slightly greater amount of foodstock being exported than imported) continued as normal but due to a lack of government intervention and a disease affecting the staple crop of the poor food prices were driven out of the reach of the bottom 25% of the population by market forces.
>>
>>2692207
with plummeting birthrates it won't get there for several hundred years, and then if we're assuming something causes birthrates to shoot upward
>>
>>2692620
that's if were assuming*
>>
>>2691991
>english soldiers sent to make sure the irish didn't try to steal food that was being exported to britain out of desperation
>they totally didn't try to starve the irish guys
lol
>>
>>2692717

there's direct intention to harm, and then there's simply willful disregard for suffering in runaway conditions

it was the latter,

it's not admirable, but it wasn't anything more than a naturally occurring convergence of factors
>>
The English PM of the time, Robert Peel organised immediate food relief but was replaced in 1849 by the jesuit,Lord John Russell who immediately reversed the polices.

The only people who did anything to help were the Quakers (Society of Friends). The church condemned anybody who took aid from them and said that they were selling their souls for soup, as a result they earned the nickname "Soupers." As a result of this ostracism, many more people starved to death.
>>
>>2692169
You dense motherfucker. Of course being near water doesn't make you a sea farer. You need to become that on your own, which Ireland failed to do throughout history.
>>
>>2681996
It's been mentioned before in the thread but 2 large reasons:

1. the British controlled the export of food off the island, even during famine, London was still exporting roughly the same amount of food product out of ireland to be sent to Britain. There was still food, but very little to none was leftover for Irish peasants after England scratched out their export quotas.

Britain also made sure that no food was coming into the island as a relief effort, but were more concerned with meeting their profit margins that making money off ireland still and a mass starvation and exodus of Catholics was a win-win for them. In short, they wanted to exacerbate the famine as much as possible.

2. food preservatives such as salt jacked up the prices of meat quite considerably, enough to where common peasants couldn't afford fish as an everyday diet as they would quickly bankrupt themselves trying to purchase salted fish at the market. Those Irishmen who could fish on and nearby their property did so, but the great majority of those inland didn't have such easy access to a reliable source of meat without having to purchase salted fish at the market.
>>
They had zero ships.
>>
>>2681996

They did.
>>
>>2684903
ireland is like a desert, except it has grass instead of sand
>>
>>2693496
Why don't they grow trees?
>>
>>2693052
You fell for IRA propagada, Britain sent all the food she could but the Irish would reject it out of spite.
>>
>>2693023
>The church condemned anybody who took aid from them
Its amazing how often shite like that has happened in Ireland
>>
>>2685637
Actually the Indian famine was different. The famine started anyway because of a shitty crop (India has had plenty of famines in history) and Britain directed the spare food to the Greeks and those fighting in the Far East because you know, a massive war was going on and the Japs were moving towards India.

Churchill even wrote to the US asking if they could spare even more shipments of food because the famine was spiraling out of control and he had no choice but to feed the troops instead of the people.
>>
>>2681996
>>
>>2690199
>Butter was shipped in firkins, each one holding 9 imperial gallons; 41 litres. In the first nine months of 1847, 56,557 firkins (509,010 imperial gallons; 2,314,000 litres) were exported from Ireland to Bristol, and 34,852 firkins (313,670 imperial gallons; 1,426,000 litres) were shipped to Liverpool, which correlates with 822,681 imperial gallons (3,739,980 litres) of butter exported to England from Ireland during nine months of the worst year of the Famine.[81]
> 822,681 imperial gallons (3,739,980 litres) of butter exported to England from Ireland during nine months of the worst year of the Famine

mic dropped

/thread
Thread posts: 148
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.