[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most ancient species that is still alive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: skeleton-03.jpg (279KB, 1750x2500px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton-03.jpg
279KB, 1750x2500px
What is the most ancient species that is still alive?
>>
>>2680100

There isn't a definitive answer because all species evolve constantly, and how different something can be and still be considered the same species is ultimately arbitrary.

But for a less pedantic answer... Horseshoe crabs? Basically unchanged for 450 million years.
>>
File: 1484127383641.jpg (10KB, 218x316px) Image search: [Google]
1484127383641.jpg
10KB, 218x316px
>>2680158
>pedantic
>>
Idk, probably some archaea/bacteria below the bottom of the sea.
>>
>>2680100
Jellyfish & Keith Richards
>>
>>2680100
Chroococcidiopsis Thermalis is a pretty old version of cyanobacteria. Not sure if its the oldest, but it is pretty far up there.
>>
>>2680164

I don't know how to interpret your memeing.
>>
Turks, haven't evolved since the dinosaurs - about the same communicative skills as well. Fuck even their referendum was grunt once for yes, grunt twice for no
>>
some "extremophile" microbe that predates cyanobacteria maybe
>>
>>2680186

Don't worry, they probably didn't know what they were actually trying to say anyway.
>>
>>2680100
Isn't this a /sci/ question? Paleontology is a discipline of natural history which doesn't really fall under the scope of /his/.
>>
>>2680246
Yeah let's make Hitler threads instead you fucking faggot after all we have so few of them.
>>
>>2680259

There's no need to be rude, you hurt my feelings.
>>
>>2680246
At what point was the first human born? There is none. Every child is only a little different from their parents, it would be rare for them to have 1 mutation that would comprise the majority of human DNA in the future let alone 2 or a meaningful number of mutations.

So it follows that every single descendent in our evolutionary history should be considered a human and thus is within the scope of /his/.
>>
>>2680100
abos
>>
>>2680322
Do you not know the defintion of history & humanities? Biology is not either, fyi.

And history begins at the chronicling of human deeds, not with the first human.
>>
File: charlesIIspain.jpg (36KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
charlesIIspain.jpg
36KB, 636x358px
>>2680342
escaping from the jaws of a dinosaur is an impressive deed and biology plays an important role in history
>>
>>2680353
1. Irrelevant
2. Yes, and so does the currents of the ocean and clashing tectonic plates, but that doesn't mean hydrology and geography are historical subjects.
>>
File: 1474220832143.png (10KB, 164x121px) Image search: [Google]
1474220832143.png
10KB, 164x121px
>>2680186
>>2680236
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.