[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did republican romans feel about decency and modesty? Did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 6f1.jpg (51KB, 600x617px) Image search: [Google]
6f1.jpg
51KB, 600x617px
How did republican romans feel about decency and modesty? Did nudity have a religious reason to be discouraged?
>>
>>2676697
I don't think you'd care about decency and modesty beyond simple taste if you literally have Carthaginian loli sex slaves.
>>
>>2676697
Read about the rape of lucretia, severitas was a big deal for early romans.
>>
>>2676721
Patricians were prudish as fuck during the Republic
>>
>>2676726
Well I know modesty was a thing, my question is more about origins. What were the religious or cultural implications, why was it bad
>>
It was mostly to differentiate between Roman citizens and slaves. Non-citizens, excluding foreigners, were seen as degenerate, indecent and sexually available (as raping a non-citizen was basically legal as they had not protection of their body) and so in order to separate themselves from that, Roman citizen women would wear clothes to show that they were modest and their body was protected.

It was also to do with religion and stuff but that is a large amount to go through. Basically in Roman society the most important thing about being a citizen was that you were entitled to your own body and so citizens would wear certain clothes to show that they were in the cool group
>>
>>2676697
Speaking of romans, could someone explain me how did diplomats work around the language barrier for example during Caesar's expedition to Britain?

Not op btw
>>
>>2677577
Many people knew either latin or some form of the common language in the area. Remember that the barbarians would trade with the romans sometimes even during wars.
>>
>>2676697
I have read numerous things about orgies that Rome had. But from seeing what the other anons are saying, it was probably like Japan, Where they were prudes outside the bedroom, but had a boat load of fetishes in the bedroom.

Also, gotta show the source for the pic, OP.
>>
>>2676697
Sauce, please. I'm a sucker for masochism.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.