[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Happy Eostre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Ostara_by_Johannes_Gehrts.jpg (351KB, 477x706px) Image search: [Google]
Ostara_by_Johannes_Gehrts.jpg
351KB, 477x706px
Just a reminder that Easter comes from the spring festival to the pagan Germanic fertility goddess Eostre, and that pagan-Christian syncretism is some of the coolest European culture has to offer.

Happy Easter /his/!
>>
Happy Eostre anon! She looks pretty thicc too.
>>
>>2672479
Zeitgeist pls go
>>
>>2672479
I think you mean Ishtar and Astarte.
>>
>>2672479
It's actually called passover in most of the non-germanic speaking world and it was celebrated in the middle east and southern europe since the second century while the link to Easter won't be made until the 7th century by a Saxon monk. That the pagans and the Christians celebrate a holiday in the spring is a happy coincidence and I'm glad you noticed. Btw the jury is still out on if "Eostre" even existed, as there are no primary sources that attest to her existence save for Bede's account.
>>
>Epiphany used to be the biggest Christian holiday
>no one knows what it is anymore outside orthodox churches
>>
>>2672479
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IffNsK_fdoY
>>
>>2673118
Nope, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ēostre

>>2673363
Well yeah, it was a form of syncretism that just combined a pagan spring festival with Christ's Resurrection.
It's no harm to the Christian faith, it's just cool.

Furthermore, we've got names and such from Continental Europe that would suggest that she was known in other West Germanic ethnicities and even as a group in North Germanic ones.
>>
The difference is that Eostre is real and christ isn't.
>>
>>2673600
That was weak AF

Firstly, any refutation of a connection with Ishtar is null because I sure as hell don't claim this. I think the celebration comes from a totally different Pantheon and People.
Secondly, saying that the name may have only come from the month is weak, because the name came from the goddess most likely. Just as Tuesday is for the god Tīw, Wednesday for Woden, Thursday for Thunor, and Friday for Fridge. Blótmonath was the month named because they practices Blót, not that it was arbitrarily named so.

Thirdly, with the etymology taken care of, it leaves the question open to the name origin still, and of course in Mercian dialect of Old English, the goddess is named literally "Easter". The goddess would fit the same linguistic trend as other Dawn/Fertility goddess' found in Rome, Greece, Balto-Slavics, and India.

Fourthly, the attempted distinction between a hare and a rabbit is weak at best, and the eggs included, all point to a fertility trend that is plain to see, especially considering what we've already concluded above. You've got to remember that attestations can be harder to find because it would have been a non-Church local tradition, which would have been less written about. Remember that this wouldn't be the first time some local tradition survived in the rural folk through pure oration and festivity.

His reconciliations are weak, and furthermore are moot, because it doesn't detract from the fact that we still celebrate Christ's Resurrection. The rest is just ancient tradition and culture, which is fun and worth enjoying.
>>
>>2673414
>Catholics don't have mass on this day
WEW lad
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.