[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Useless Uniforms?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

File: Polish Ulhans.jpg (88KB, 764x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Polish Ulhans.jpg
88KB, 764x1024px
I often hear uniforms anywhere from the 1600s-1800s getting criticized for being useless, giving away positions (in north american theaters) or just looking weird. Is there anything on uniforms from these eras that actually was useless or did every part have a purpose?
>>
>>2670480
Uniforms are great for making it harder to shoot your own people
>>
>>2670480
Guns from this time were so short range that camouflage was of limited value (only useful in dense forests and whatnot).

By the time you get to the mid-19th century however, rifled barrels make bullets far more accurate, and armies should considered making uniforms more discrete.

>>2670518
Friendly fire is a big no-no. Despite what /pol/ says, you can't reliably tell a Pole from a German, or Russian, or whatever just by looking at them.
>>
File: 1798 Hungarian Grenadier.jpg (176KB, 668x956px) Image search: [Google]
1798 Hungarian Grenadier.jpg
176KB, 668x956px
>>2670518
>>2670546
as for friendly fire i know it must have been hard, i read about the battle of Wagram and how the Saxons had similar uniforms to the Habsbirgs and how the French fired on them when retreating, did the uniforms play a big role when it came to smoke? I keep hearing that smoke was crazy intense in battles those days but a lot of films and reenactments don't seem to make that justice.
I always thought that the hats were made tall and intricate not only to look intimidating but also to easier tell apart friend from foe, this correct?
>>
How demanding were uniforms in the budget of armies?
Did countries reduce their war capabilities just so they could have fashy uniforms?
>>
>>2670574
oh yeah also, apparently uniform colour was largely influenced by cost of production and maintenance. The english chose red for its cheap dye, austrians used white to chalk up imperfections, etc. How big did uniform budget play in deciding uniform colours/types?
>>
File: 1798 Austrian Infantry.jpg (179KB, 655x931px) Image search: [Google]
1798 Austrian Infantry.jpg
179KB, 655x931px
>>2670581
lol was just asking same thing >>2670583
i heard it was the opposite, that countries would reduce fashyness in order to keep waht military capability they had. An example is that the Austrian helmet in pic related was expensive so they changed to shakos. Another example is the "off-grey" uniforms Joseph II had wanted the entire austrian army to wear but was never put to production.
>>
File: 1798 Austrian Jager.jpg (173KB, 667x959px) Image search: [Google]
1798 Austrian Jager.jpg
173KB, 667x959px
>>2670588
>>2670581
this is the grey uniform in second example
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.