[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

War of 1812 Reenactor here AMA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: Butler_Lady_Quatre_Bras_1815.jpg (342KB, 1920x860px) Image search: [Google]
Butler_Lady_Quatre_Bras_1815.jpg
342KB, 1920x860px
I reenact British infantry during the War of 1812 and Napoleonic Wars. In another thread, an anon seemed pretty interested in trying reenacting out so I thought I might be able to answer some questions for /his/ in general.

AMA

>inb4 lol stop larping
>>
alright, lets see...

how do you gather all the garments needed for the period look?
>>
>>2661093
Ok, is there any good Napoleonic movies I should see?
>Sharpes
>Hornblower
>That mini TV series
anything else?

P.S. have you ever fired a flintlock with live ammo? Hows the accuracy?
>>
>>2661106

not him, but you're missing Waterloo (c1970), the most authentic period war film I've seen
>>
>>2661106
One of the best movies is the 1970 film "Waterloo" If you want a somewhat amusing Canadian tv show set in the period try Blackfly.

Yes I shoot my Brown Bess with round ball quite frequently. Accuracy isn't fantastic but it's much better and way more reliable than nogunz armchair fags would have you believe.
>>
>>2661104
It's mostly tailored to you, leather gear and haversacks and the like are standard but tunics and shirts and trousers are mostly tailored. You can order shakos based on hat sizes.
>>
>>2661093
Do you know some good websites about reenacting groups and events, preferably international? I always miss some awesome festivals
>>
>>2661165
As far as I'm aware, there's no interantional database of events and groups. You can search based on country. Most big events like Waterloo and Austerlitz for example have their own website for organizing. In North America, historic sites will have information on their webpages about reenactments on site. The closest thing to what you want are general Napoleonic reenactor facebook groups.
>>
>>2661093
Hi /hwg/
>>
Does height affect reenactment? Always wanted to reenact but my manlet height convinces me not too. Also if you do eat period accurate food, what is it and your opinion on it?
>>
>>2661235
Height isn't a big deal at all, you may never be a grenadier :) but being front rank isn't a bad thing. They organize the line based on height so you'll always be in the front.

Period food is fucking gr8, all very natural and cooked usually on a open fire or if you're lucky in a clay oven. Historic recipes are usually pretty tasty and not that hard to make. If historic food interests you, check out https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (27KB, 415x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
27KB, 415x500px
>>2661140
>Blackfly
>>2661146
>Waterloo

Cheers!
>>
>>2661106
>>2661140
A better question would be: Are there good Napoleonic Wars series/movies focused on the key players (France, Russia, Austria, Prussia) rather than on midly relevant Britbongs?
>>
>>2661093
What region are you/your reenacting group from and what 1812 events do you reenact at?
>>
>>2661363
War and Peace?
>>
>>2661370
Canada, I regulary attend Fort Erie, Fort William, Mississinewa, Stoney Creek, Plattsburgh, sometimes go down to New Orleans among others. The biggest event was Waterloo back in 2015. That was seriously cool.
>>
>>2661509
Are you in the Canadian Fencibles?
>>
>>2661559
Nope
>>
>>2661566
Ah, ok, they go to alot of the same events your group does. I met a few of them at a re-enactment at Upper Canada Village/Battle of Crysler's Farm Memorial a couple summers ago. I asked the leader about joining but he never got back to me.
>>
>>2661509
Oh that's cool. I'm south from Pittsburgh in PA (which I'm sure you know is itself south from Erie, PA) and we understandably don't really have any 1812 reenactment groups. There's a lot of F&I and Pontiac's War stuff around here though. Bushy Run is usually really good, and Fort Ligonier is a really nice place.
>>
File: brockmemorial.jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
brockmemorial.jpg
10KB, 300x168px
>>2661578
How expensive is it to get into? I'd really like to, but I'm a poorfag.
>>
>>2661699
Most reenacting groups maintain a couple loaner stands of arms for people who want to try it out. It cost me around $1100 to get started buying used equipment and a musket (admittedly a very good deal on the musket). It might take you a couple years to get all the kit which is why groups have loaner gear. If you find a local group you should be able to try things out this summer.
>>
>>2661578
Yeah I've met a lot of them at events. Nice people. You have to persist, lots of groups get people who say they'd like to try it out but never actually show up. Bug them and show you're interested.
>>
>>2661093
Do you burn the White House in effigy?
>>
>>2661093
>>
>>2661093
How serious is the whole deal? Are you all just there to have a laugh dressed in some silly clothes and fire muskets, or do you run to a strict schedule and get shouted at if you forget to take your watch off?
>>
>>2662715
Ty
>>
>>2662750
Not OP, but am a Britbong 5/60th reenactor and can say that as a whole people take it pretty serious.
Nothing better than having some good quality drill and professionalism.
There are some groups though who go to events just to get drink and play Sharpe
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.